PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone understand this? Land document?

samesizedfeet
20-11-09, 23:49
17 July 1506 - John Levington, bailiie, by virtue of a royal precept after retour, gave sasine to John Carmure, attorney of Margaret Linkson sister and heir of the late John Linkson, of a tenement of land on the south side of the High Street beyond the Over Bow between the land of John Currour on the west, the land of Michael of Stanis on the east, the land of Hercules Stobo on the north and the land of John Bell on the south, and of another land and tenement in the lower end of that tenement in Cowgate between the land of Thomas Anderson on the west, the land of Master Edward Ramsay on the east, the street of the Cowgate on the south and the land of John Bell on the north. Witnesses: Edward Spens, Master Hew Gif****, Alexander Boyde, William Paterson, sergeant

I know most of it is explaining the boundaries of land but can anyone explain to a novice the first bit about "royal precept after retour"?

tyia

Z

samesizedfeet
20-11-09, 23:50
and for anyone wondering about the auto modding - Hew's surname is G i f f a r t

:)

Olde Crone
21-11-09, 00:22
Honestly not sure Zoe, not familiar with old Scottish land laws.

Royal Precept just means a Royal Command.

I wonder if the "after retour" is a mistranscription? I see the document has been scanned using digital recognition thingy, because some of the words are obviously wrong.

OC