PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity Question - India deaths

Kit
12-02-14, 23:45
for those who have been looking at FMP India Office records have you noticed any women dying in childbirth?

I've not found one and I have had a few women die quite young. I'm quite enjoying that most church registers list why a person died.

It is also very interesting to note that many people are buried the same day as they died.

Shona
13-02-14, 06:40
The same day burials may reflect local traditions and customs. In Islam, burial takes place within 24 hours of death. Although Hindus prefer cremation, it is also done within 24 hours.

Kit
13-02-14, 07:00
These are supposed to be British deaths. I do wonder if it is do with what the person died of. On the one page where I really paid attention to all deaths, those that died on something non-contagious were buried the next day, anything potentially contagious was buried immediately.

Just had my first pregnancy related death. It says she died of partusabortus, which googling indicates loss of a pregnancy over 20 weeks or stillbirth.

Shona
13-02-14, 07:15
The British in India were influenced by local customs, eg, burial within 24 hours. Other customs were brought back to the UK. Some things considered very British have Indian origins (and I don't mean Cliff Richard!).

kiterunner
13-02-14, 07:20
I should think it was much more difficult to keep a dead body around for more than a day in the hot climate.

Shona
13-02-14, 07:46
True, but it isn't hot everywhere in what was then Indua. One place where OH's grandfather was posted (which is in modern day Pakistan) has temps below zero throughout winter.

Tilly Mint
13-02-14, 08:12
I should think it was much more difficult to keep a dead body around for more than a day in the hot climate.

When I asked my cousin why so many of mine were buried or cremated so quickly she said it was due to the climate. Each time I have been out to India I have seen a roadside pyre [funeral pile] and I must say they have been so emotional but respectful to witness.......

Shona
13-02-14, 08:17
Interesting. Climate affects behaviour and that would influence religious custom.

Kit
13-02-14, 08:24

I agree, but same day burial surprised me. I would have thought next day would have happened.