PDA

View Full Version : Emigration to Canada.

Katarzyna
19-11-09, 16:57
Does anyone have access to Canadian Immigation Records?

I'm looking for Thomas Kennedy b 1870 Eston, South Bank, Middlesborough, Yorks.

He died Aug 1915 France but was with Canadian forces.
Kennedy, Pte. T., 7992 2nd Bn (Eastern Ontario Regiment.) 22nd April, 1915 ( the date on the photo)

He was living at Eston, Yorkshire according to 1911 census so he must have emigrated to Canada shortly afterwards.

He was 45 when he died. I am not convinced this Pte T Kennedy is my Gt Uncle (surely he would be too old to enlist??) but my cousin is convinced.

Having said that , this is a photo of him:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/katgr/PteTomKennedyphoto.jpg

Thanks

borobabs
19-11-09, 17:19
Oh pity you didnt have address of where he was born could have seen if it was still standing for you , its only 5 mins away from me ;;

Phoenix
19-11-09, 17:23
His service record should have survived (being Canadian). Doesn't that give an age on it?

Trish@Somerset
19-11-09, 17:26
I think I have his attestation papers on Ancestry - states he was born 1872 - was his brother Edward?

The papers were signed Sept 23 1914

Katarzyna
19-11-09, 20:16
Babs,
He was born at 4 Eston Junction in Eston.:)

Valley,
Thanks, I have altered the date.;)

Phoenix,
I can't find his Service Records:(

Trish,

Where?:o I have his birth cert 1870. Yes he had a brother Edward.

There is another Thomas Kennedy registered Guisborough 1871

borobabs
19-11-09, 20:22
will find out if its still standing for you you Kat ok;;;

Trish@Somerset
19-11-09, 20:22
Kat, just here:)

http://search.ancestry.com.au/browse/default.aspx?dbid=1086&iid=gpc008%2f432703b

Katarzyna
19-11-09, 20:50
Trish I have found his attestation papers on the www.collectionscanada.gc.ca site. This could be him as South Bank was given on several censuses - all part of Eston. Birth date is wrong tho.

Just seen your post. Link doesn't work for me cos that's tha Aussie site

Katarzyna
19-11-09, 20:51
Thanks Babs.

Langley Vale Sue
19-11-09, 21:31
There are 19 records of a Thomas Kennedy travelling to Canada between 1911 and 1915 on Find My Past passenger lists.

http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

Katarzyna
19-11-09, 22:35
Yes I have seen them Sue, thanks. Problem is, none of the outgoing ships recorded very much passenger information. An age would be nice. lol Or place of birth even better. Not a bit like Ellis Island where everything is recorded. never mind.

That's why I asked if anyone had access to Canadian records but I suppose the immigration manifest would show the same info as the emigration ones.

If he enlisted in the Canadian Army would he have had to have been a naturalised citizen? I don't know.
Perhaps as Canada belonged to the Empire at the time and he being a British citizen he wouldn't have needed to. Where can I find that tho'? I keep googling but nothing obvious comes up :(

Langley Vale Sue
20-11-09, 13:43
Kat

No he wouldn't have had to be a naturalised Canadian citizen. My great uncle, my Grandma's brother, enlisted in the CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force) 3 years after emigrating from Wales with his family. I have seen a few soldiers records whose next of kin or wife had addresses in Britain so I would imagine that these men probably went to Canada to join up. I suppose those wives could have gone back to Britain after their husbands joined the CEF though.
I don't think any Commonwealth subjects had to become naturalised Canadians. I think it only applied to people from other parts of the world like say, USA, Russia or France etc.

Katarzyna
20-11-09, 21:23
Thanks Sue, I had a feeling that was the case. :)

Lancashire Lady
21-11-09, 10:15
My husband's ggf also served & died with the Canadian Expeditionary Force.
Until fairly recently, no-one in the family knew what had happened to him.

As far as we can tell, he went to Canada about 1910 - we've got a probable entry on the 1911 Canadian census for him - this says he emigrated in 1910 but also says he is a Canadian citizen (he wasn't of course, he could say he was English or Irish, but not Canadian!)
We found his Canadian enlistment papers. When he signed up in 1915 he gave an incorrect DOB - making him 5 years younger than he really was (he was born 1865 but said he was born 1870, so they were definitely taking men of that age). He also said he was single - well, he didn't have any family in Canada, but a wife & half a dozen kids back in Lancashire.
The clincher for us was that he gave his MOTHER'S address as NOK - same address where his father had died in 1908, and where she is living on the 1911 English census.

Haven't found him on any passenger lists yet, but with a name like John Hunt it would probably be difficult to tell for sure whether it was him. 2 of his sisters also emigrated (to the USA) & one said she was Irish, one English. They were all born in England, though to Irish parents.

Katarzyna
21-11-09, 15:33
I am sure this is him Vicky.
Thomas was with the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force too.
Like yours DOB incorrect but makes him younger - 40 instead of 42. His brother Edward (NOK)is not on England 1911 census so I would hope he is on the Canadian one. I cannot read his address very well so will scan it and hope someone can.
Looks like Ste Maria, Ontario.
Where did you get the Canadian census info from?

Have worked out address as 492 North St, Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario.

Jenoco
21-11-09, 15:59
You could try www.automatedgenealogy.com for the 1911 Canadian census.

Katarzyna
21-11-09, 16:51
It isn't complete yet but thanks for the link.:)

Jenoco
21-11-09, 21:06
I'm probably going to the library this afternoon and will see if I can find a likely Edward Kennedy on the 1911 Canadian census.

Katarzyna
21-11-09, 22:12
Thanks Jenny, most kind:)

Katarzyna
21-11-09, 22:18
Jenny,

Further info: Edward was b 1877, South Bank, Eston, Yorks

Jenoco
21-11-09, 22:56
I couldn't find a likely candidate today, but he was born later than I realised. Unfortunately, it seems the census only gives country of birth, nothing more precise.

I can go again tomorrow (it's less than 5 minutes walk away), so if you don't have an answer before then, I'll look again.

Katarzyna
21-11-09, 23:06
His address in 1914 was:
492 North St, Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario. Given post 16.
Of course he might not have been there in 1911 :(

Thanks for looking, most appreciated.:)