PDA

View Full Version : I love Google!

Phoenix
18-11-09, 14:12
Had an email from someone looking for a Patient in Camberwell Lunatic Asylum in 1851.

Now, I'm not the font of all wisdom, and had never heard of the place. Nor had FMP.

I Googled for it and discovered where it was supposed to be, but that didn't help.

So I looked for the owners, mentioned in several articles. One looks as if he was in charge of the Norwood orphanage (don't know full title, but the pauper children from Lambeth Workhouse were sent there)

The other.... was there!
Patient listed under initials and Camberwell in 1851 comes under Middlesex:rolleyes: which might be why the guy didn't find him, but I also found the census description sheet!

Without Google, I'd have had to admit my ignorance!

Nell
18-11-09, 18:27
Lol! Not sure why Camberwell is in Middlesex, but geography wasn't always the enumerator's strong point!

Kit
18-11-09, 19:50
Well done. Good detective work.

Olde Crone
18-11-09, 20:47
Oh, I love google too.

It has taken me to information about my rellies that I didn't know I didn't know, lol, if that makes sense!

One of the biggest surprises was my boring old ag lab who vanished and then surfaced in the Turks and Caicos Islands, having inherited a huge plantation.

I thought he'd just died!

OC

Georgette
19-11-09, 11:05
I love Google too, especially Google Books. Like OC I've found quite a few things that I didn't know I didn't know, too :)