PDA

View Full Version : 19 million British rate book records - findmypast

Rick
18-12-13, 18:54
From Manchester, Westminster, Southwark, Plymouth and Devon.

I can't get them to work yet - they should be included in my subscription but clicking on a result takes you to the Login/Subscribe page. Would someone else try please ?

Phoenix
18-12-13, 20:27
It's inviting me to upgrade to a World subscription, from what I can make out.

Rick
18-12-13, 20:50
Looks like that to me too. Must surely be included in the Full British subscription, so I assume it's teething problems while putting them live.

Phoenix
18-12-13, 20:56
I think they must just be a bit premature. Westminster Archives isn't advertising the rates books yet.

Now I'm impatient. Is that 1854 entry for George Lanning the Judd Street one, or somewhere else?

Rick
18-12-13, 21:39
I picked a not so common name at random and Giles Theyer is definitely mine in Westminster in the early 1700s. How infuriating - let hope they're working properly tomorrow !!

Langley Vale Sue
19-12-13, 06:24
I'm still being taken to the sign in page, despite the banner at the top of the page saying Welcome Back Sue!

kiterunner
19-12-13, 07:00
There are a few comments on the FMP blog page from people with a full UK sub who can't access these records, but no reply from FMP on there as yet.

ElizabethHerts
19-12-13, 07:02
I've contacted FMP so let's hope they act soon.

ElizabethHerts
19-12-13, 07:04
There are a few comments on the FMP blog page from people with a full UK sub who can't access these records, but no reply from FMP on there as yet.

Kate, that's odd because I can't see any comments, despite looking for them.

kiterunner
19-12-13, 07:17
They (the comments) are on this page, but I can't see a way of linking directly to the comments:
http://blog.findmypast.co.uk/2013/search-19-million-new-british-rate-book-records/#sthash.I52oYsdx.dpbs

There is also a comment saying the same thing on the page about the new Royal Tank Corps records.

ElizabethHerts
19-12-13, 07:22
This is odder and odder, Kate. That is the page I've been looking at but when I click on your link it says I'm not signed in (I can't see any comments either). I sign in and it takes me straight to the subscription page!

kiterunner
19-12-13, 07:36
That is weird, Elizabeth.

Sue from Southend
19-12-13, 08:43
This is odder and odder, Kate. That is the page I've been looking at but when I click on your link it says I'm not signed in (I can't see any comments either). I sign in and it takes me straight to the subscription page!

It's doing that for me now! I have the FMP home page set as a favourite and even that link goes straight to the Subscription page even though it tells me I'm signed in and have a Full UK sub until September 2014 :confused:

kiterunner
19-12-13, 08:59
Ah, now I seem to remember it doing that to me when I tried to access some new database a while back. I think it was an Irish database which was being promoted as though it was available to UK subscribers. I think if you log out and log back in, it might clear the problem, as long as you don't try to access the rate books after that.

ElizabethHerts
19-12-13, 10:32
I've had a reply from FMP:

"Thank you for contacting findmypast.

We are aware that there is an issue with access to the newly added Rate books. To confirm, these should be accessible using either a Full or World subscription.

Our development team have been made aware of this and the problem is being investigated as a matter of urgency.

We are hopeful that we will have this resolved very soon and do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you for your patience whilst we have this resolved.

Kind Regards,

Laurie Spence
Findmypast Support Team"

Rick
19-12-13, 11:14
Thanks Elizabeth. Do you think it would help if we all tapped our fingers impatiently ? :)

ElizabethHerts
19-12-13, 11:23
Thanks Elizabeth. Do you think it would help if we all tapped our fingers impatiently ? :)

I think genealogists all over the country are doing the same, Rick.

I'm very impatiently waiting so I can abandon my housework. I have so much Christmas stuff to do today but want to view the image for my 2x-great-grandfather in Manchester and also OH's Newtons in Southwark.

kiterunner
19-12-13, 11:52
You won't be able to view the Southwark images, Elizabeth, only transcriptions. :(

(as I just realised having used some credits to view the record for my 3xg-grandfather Robert James Bristow.)
There are images for Manchester, Westminster, and Plymouth & West Devon.

I'm wondering whether FMP is going to be putting more Southwark stuff online, anyone know? They already have "collections" for the other places included in these Rate Books but I don't think they have any other Southwark stuff yet? I will be very interested if they do, as I have lots of Southwark ancestors.

Sue from Southend
19-12-13, 12:14
Don't tell the others but it seems to be working now!

Sort of! When a I run a search I get no list of results just buttons to click for a transcription or image. A work still in progress methinks:rolleyes:

Phoenix
19-12-13, 12:24
Ah ha! Can now view the Southwark material.

It is the work of Peter Shilham, one of the unsung heroes of Southwark, who has been beavering patiently away over many years to make Southwark's records more accessible.

If this venture proves successful, I imagine there are plenty of other indexes to follow.

ElizabethHerts
19-12-13, 12:38
Yes! I can see the image for my 2x-great-grandfather Charles Alexander.

Rick
19-12-13, 17:35
Finally got to see the images !! So Giles Theyer lived in Leicester Fields, some 37 years before the statue of George I was erected in the square - wow.

Does anyone with a FMP subscription know what the vertical lines and rectangles mean in this image ?

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fwsmtn%2f005115766%2f00313&parentid=gbor%2fwestminster_rateboo%2f4575210%2f1&highlights=%22%22

kiterunner
19-12-13, 18:30
Sorry, I think if I click on your link it will use up some of my credits, Rick!

Rick
19-12-13, 18:33
Sorry, I think if I click on your link it will use up some of my credits, Rick!

No worries Kate - I didn't think of that, so I'll edit my post just in case someone falls foul of that trap !

Rick
19-12-13, 18:49
Think I've managed to get a portion of it small enough to attach.....

Phoenix
23-12-13, 12:51
Absolutely no idea. But I suspect it is a counting system of some kind. Were the rates collected quarterly? Vertical for due and horizontal for paid?

Rick
23-12-13, 13:32
I think it must be something along those lines (pardon the pun). Most entries have 4 vertical lines, but some only have 2 or 3 and the Earl of Leicester has none !!

I must have another look at Giles Theyer - he has some very posh neighbours.