PDA

View Full Version : Who were James and Alexander Moyes?

Shona
21-11-13, 14:01
This query is in connection with David Moyes - one of my 3 x great grandparents.

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16216&highlight=david+moyes

David Moyes died intestate (11 March 1901). An inventory of his estate was registered in 1903. There was 15s cash with the furniture and other effects valued at £10. However, there was also the following:

'Deceased's share in the estate of James Moyes, grocer and wine merchant, North Berwick, all as per scheme of division declared by the judicial factor of the said deceased James Moyes. £270 7s 6d.'

Who was James Moyes? How is he related to David?

James Moyes died on 23 May 1897 in North Berwick. His estate was valued at £873 10s 6d. He was also intestate.

James Moyes was in North Berwick in 1891 with his sister Margaret and an aunt named Margaret Arnot.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1891scotland&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=James&gsfn_x=NN&gsln=Moyes&gsln_x=NN&gskw=North+Berwick&gskw_x=1&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=fpy&cp=11&pcat=35&fh=0&h=2777697&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

Ditto 1881.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1881scotland&so=2&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=James&gsfn_x=NN&gsln=Moyes&gsln_x=NN&gskw=North+Berwick&gskw_x=1&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=fpy&cp=11

In 1871, James and his sister Margaret are in Edinburgh with their aunt, Margaret Arnott. All three are born in Inverkeithing.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1871scotland&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=james&gsfn_x=NN&gsln=moyes&gsln_x=NN&gskw=inverkeithing&gskw_x=1&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=fpy&cp=11&pcat=35&fh=0&h=3205184&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

In 1851, James and his sister Margaret with their parents in Inverkeithing.

Alexander Moyes, 47, shoemaker, b Inverkeithing
Agnes Moyes, 44, b Inverkeithing
James Moyes, 5, scholar, b Inverkeithing
Margaret Moyes, 2, b Inverkeithing
Margaret Scott, 50, sister, b Inverkething

(Alexander Moyes married Agnes Arnott on 24 April 1843 in Inverkeithing - a second marriage perhaps? There is another Alexander Moyes married to an Agnes Barclay knocking around, too, to confuse matters.)

David Moyes, my 3x great-grandparent, was born in 1808, son of David Moyes and Helen Carfrae. His siblings were Rosina/Robina (b 1806), John (b 1810), Alexander (b 1815) and Samuel b (1817).

On this surface, this suggests that James the grocer and wine merchant was the nephew of my David. But he isn't.

First, there is the age difference, My Alexander was born in 1815. The one on the census was born c1804.

Then there is a birth of an Alexander Moyes in Inverkeithing in 1803, son of James Moyes and Jean Tod.

There is also a death of an Alexander Moyes, shoemaker, in 1866 in Inverkeithing, age 58, son of James Moyes, shoemaker (dec), and Jane Todd (dec). Agnes Moyes, wife of Alexander, died in 1856, age 51, dau of Andrew Arrnot shoemaker (dec) and Margaret Arnott nee Young (dec).

So how on earth was my David Moyes related to James Moyes? :confused:

kiterunner
21-11-13, 14:15
Does he definitely have to be related, or could it just be that David was a creditor of James and the scheme of division was to give him a share in proportion to what he was owed?

Shona
21-11-13, 14:22
The £873 10s 6d was what remained after all the creditors had been paid what they were owed. Mostly smaller amounts and David Moyes is not named as a creditor.

kiterunner
21-11-13, 14:26
Maybe he is related quite distantly then. Does it say who else got a share of what was left?

Shona
21-11-13, 14:31
James Moyes's inventory doesn't mention how his estate was divided, unfortunately.

kiterunner
21-11-13, 14:36
James Moyes married Jean Tod 18 Nov 1796 in Edinburgh and their first son was named John, suggesting that James's father might be John. (The marriage record on FamilySearch says that Jean's father was called Alexander and their second son was Alexander.) There is a James Moyes born 1766 Burntisland, son of John Moyes and Mary Orrock. This doesn't seem to be helping much!

kiterunner
21-11-13, 14:40
There is a public tree on ancestry with your David Moyes and Helen Carfrae on it, showing David as the son of David Moyes and Elizabeth Gibson, with David sr born 1763 being the son of William Moyes and Janet Morris, and having a brother James born 1777. I wonder if that could be the James who married Jean Tod? Then Alexander would be David jr's first cousin, and so Alexander's son James would be David's first cousin once removed.

I think.

Oops, I have missed a David out! James who died 1897 would be the second cousin of David III, is what I should have said!

Shona
21-11-13, 14:56
James Moyes married Jean Tod 18 Nov 1796 in Edinburgh.

Interesting.

My David married Elizabeth Mathieson in Edinburgh in 1832. His parents David Moyes and Helen Carfrae also married in Edinburgh.

I wonder what kept taking what is meant to be a Fife family over to Edinburgh to get hitched?

Shona
21-11-13, 15:07
There is a public tree on ancestry with your David Moyes and Helen Carfrae on it, showing David as the son of David Moyes and Elizabeth Gibson.

I have toyed with David Moyes and Elizabeth Gibson as the parents of David Moyes who married Helen Carfrae, but have never been able to prove it. The name William is absent from this branch of my tree.

kiterunner
21-11-13, 15:15
Interesting.

My David married Elizabeth Mathieson in Edinburgh in 1832. His parents David Moyes and Helen Carfrae also married in Edinburgh.

I wonder what kept taking what is meant to be a Fife family over to Edinburgh to get hitched?

I was wondering the same thing, Shona.

Shona
21-11-13, 15:39
There is a branch of the Moyes family in Kilspindie, Perthshire, who ended up in Edinburgh. I've never been able to link them to my lot, though, as the evidence is circumstantial.

This is the circumstantial evidence and based on the fact that Robina crops up a lot as a name in my Moyes branch.

In 1841, in Rait, Kilspindie, Perthshire, there is Rubina Moyes, age 11, living with an 88-year-old grocer named David Moyes (yes, another one!), plus what look like siblings - Janet, 20, David, 17 and James.

The parents of the four children above are James Moyes and Elspeth Davie. I've found James and Elspeth in Edinburgh in 1861 and 1871.