PDA

View Full Version : Unusual MI!

ElizabethHerts
18-11-13, 18:41
Whilst perusing the MIs for St Thomas, Heptonstall, I found this:

http://www.hebdenbridgehistory.org.uk/gravestones/docs/Heptonstall-church-inscriptions-2013.pdf

MG - 1808 Aged 78
In memory of WILLIAM GREENWOOD of Pecket Well who was found dead at Bridwell Head in
Wadsworth on the 14th day of August 1820.
He was forsaken by a bad wife who enforced him to serveth his Magesty in the 3rd Reg Militia
for 8 years. He left a girl aged 16 years to be cozened (cheated) by her Mothers Father
(Grandfather) out of his money. his own Father deposed (divest of office) for Felony (crime
which incurs forfeiture of lands or goods). His own brother James Greenwood who was before
a Magestrate for his Rament (Pament?) which he had bequested to him before his (death) in the
presents of two (fathers?) witnesses. His bread of life now spent.
His age near 35 years and in his trouble dropped down and left his vale of tears.
JAMES GREENWOOD
Stone
T G

It's right at the start of the records and on reading it I wonder if it is recorded in a book or whether all of this is on the gravestone.

tenterfieldjulie
19-11-13, 09:45
Good Heavens .. what an epitaph .. if it is a headstone .. what a recording if not ..

Olde Crone
19-11-13, 10:36
I do love these sour last words from beyond the grave, lol. I have a few myself, although normally in Wills.

OC

Glen TK
19-11-13, 12:44
I do love these sour last words from beyond the grave, lol. I have a few myself, although normally in Wills.

OC

That's got me thinking about re-writing my will and making a special gift to the ex wife with words to match the opinion of her, even after all these years she makes my blood boil.

Mary from Italy
19-11-13, 19:37
That's fascinating. I wonder if Rament should be raiment?

kiterunner
19-11-13, 21:47
I thought Payment?

Kit
20-11-13, 04:43
Very interesting. Sounds likes he had a rough life.