PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Info on Edwin Stephen Goodrich

Moonlightflower
15-11-13, 15:03
Two months of searches and I have not found where Edwin Stephen Goodrich is buried. He was born June 21, 1868 in Axbridge, Somerset, United Kingdom and died January 6, 1946 in Oxford, Oxfordshire, England. His father was Rev. Octavius Pitt Goodrich. I would certainly appreciate assistance here. I have pretty much exhausted many pathways.resources to no avail. Edwin was a Professor at Oxford University and made new discoveries in the field of science. He was a famous person. Professor E. Ray Lankester was his mentor.

kiterunner
15-11-13, 16:17
Welcome to the forum, Moonlightflower. I'm not sure whether you realise this, but the board where you have posted this thread is the General Discussion board which can only be read by members of the site and is not picked up by search engines etc. Also we regularly delete old threads from this board to save space. Let me know if you would like it moved to the Research Questions board which is public and where threads are not usually deleted.

As for your query, I take it you have already checked with Oxford City Council, who are responsible for the cemeteries in Oxford? Also have you looked in newspapers for obituaries / death notices which might give details of where his funeral was held? Have you checked whether he left a will, which might mention where he wanted to be buried, or cremated?

kiterunner
15-11-13, 16:22
If you don't already have a copy of his will, this is the probate info which you would need to order it:

National Probate Calendar 1946
GOODRICH Edwin Stephen of 12 Park Town Oxford died 6 January 1946 Probate Oxford 25 May to the reverend John Vincent Pixell clerk. Effects £30686 12s 10d.

kiterunner
15-11-13, 16:27
Oh, I've found his obituary and death notice in The Times and neither gives details of where he was buried or cremated. The death notice says "Funeral private. Memorial service, Merton College".

Have you contacted Merton College to ask whether they know the answer to your question?

kiterunner
15-11-13, 16:45
Also, his wife Helen died 29 May 1957, so if you can find a newspaper obituary / death notice for her, it is possible that it might say, "buried with her late husband at..." I can't see anything in The Times so you might have to look at local Oxford papers.

JBee
15-11-13, 17:04
Friend of mine was buried down south - nowhere near relatives or anything its just where he wanted to be buried.

As suggested I would contact Merton College - wonder if it was in the local Oxford newspaper as well as the Times.

Merry
15-11-13, 17:15
Have you tried contacting Oxford Cemeteries Service?

Contacting the Cemeteries Service

You can contact the Cemeteries Service on 01865 252516.

Merry
15-11-13, 17:19
I looked at his entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, but there are no clues there.

Moonlightflower
15-11-13, 23:09
The only things I have not done is to contact Merton College and Oxford University. I have had the suspicion that he was cremated since he was also a naturalist even though he was an Anglican. I have all of the information for the wills of his entire family. No clues. So far nobody has gotten back with me from St Mary the Virgin church. I contacted marine biology associations and the one here at Woods Hole. As I said as far as the things mentioned here the only things I have not done was to contact the college and the university.
Thanks....please do move this to where it needs to be. Thanks again.
;-)

Moonlightflower
15-11-13, 23:17
Contacting the Cemeteries Service

That would be an expensive telephone call for me. I live in East Texas, USA.

This was a close knit family. His mother lived with him until she died. His grandmother lived with him till her death. His sister outlived all of them and was a spinster. His niece was a spinster.

I have searched all of the genealogy sites that I know of. that includes ancestry.co.uk and ancestry.com.fr and other genealogy sites. I have done internet searches with different search engines. Of all the stories that have been written about him....to include an obituary by de Beer...none have mention of his burial.
Thanks so much. I will keep in touch here because the deadline for me to turn in my biography is Sat.there is still time to edit and input about his burial. That deadline is Nov 24th. I can always add it later because my biography of him will be entered in a historical writers contest in Feb of next year.

Shona
15-11-13, 23:49
Just wondering whether there was a burial or cremation. Would a zoologist have donated his body to research? A call to the college is a must.

Merry
16-11-13, 07:51

That would be an expensive telephone call for me. I live in East Texas, USA.

Sorry, I didn't know that.

You could email them then. Click the link about a quarter of the way down this page:

Oxford City Council Cemeteries Service (http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/decC/Cemeteries_service_occw.htm)

Merry
16-11-13, 07:55
Would a zoologist have donated his body to research? A call to the college is a must.

That's a possibility. My OH's grandfather's body was donated for medical research at Oxford University. The department who contacted us were very helpful and were able to tell us where his remains were eventually buried a year or so later in London.

We do know Edwin Goodrich's family had a funeral at the time he died though, as its mentioned in The Times.

Shona
16-11-13, 11:53
Missed the post saying there was a funeral. :o

kiterunner
16-11-13, 12:31
There are some contact details for Merton College on here; I would try emailing their Library (includes Archives) or Alumni and Development Office if I were you (there is a link which you click on and it will open up your email program to send them an email)
http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/contact

Moonlightflower
17-11-13, 23:28
Thank you very much. I did email them and have not received a reply yet but then that was Friday afternoon here in Texas. Maybe they will reply this week. My deadline is the 24th. E. S. Goodrich: A Man of Many Talents That's the name of the paper I am writing. My papers are about the man not the scientific technical stuff which has already been done.

He very well could have donated his body for research since he was so deeply involved in it. But my gut feeling tells me he was cremated and his wife kept his remains until her death. He did a lot of research at Gibraltar and Naples, Italy even though he traveled the entire world.

Thanks bunches. Are we allowed to tell our real name in here? Moonlightflower is my pen name. I am all over the web.

Merry
18-11-13, 06:07
It may be worth you emailing the Cemetery Services too. I'm not saying they will be quicker :rolleyes:, but if you tell them you believe he was cremated then they will only have one set of records to look at (only one crematorium in Oxford) and only a few days of records to examine.

The only thing is, I would have expected Merton College to look for you for nothing, but unfortunately most local council bereavement services now charge to look up records. Still, if you need the information quickly in theory the Cemetery Services Office should be able to look for you in a matter of a few minutes.

Good Luck!

Shona
18-11-13, 06:53
Merton College has an archivist. It seems, though, the archivist works from Wed to Fri only. The Librarian might be worth a try.

http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/library-and-archives/contact

Moonlightflower
18-11-13, 11:08
Thank you.

Uncle John
18-11-13, 21:33
I did email them and have not received a reply yet but then that was Friday afternoon here in Texas.

Having watched the Grand Prix on Sunday, I can tell you they would have shut up shop long before Friday afternoon Texas time. Hopefully you'll get a reply in the next few days.

Moonlightflower
19-11-13, 04:54
Someone from Merton replied to my email and told me she forwarded the inquiry to the person in charge of archives. I have faith I will have an answer before the 24th.

What is for shame is we were in London in September for the World Triathlon Championship Finals. (My husband competed and placed. He is 76) Nobody knew where to tell me to go. When got back home I found out that the British Library and the Archives are in London.
We made two trips to Chelsea Hospital. I was injured twice (Hyde Park is not handicap friendly. I ride a motorized scooter.) The second time spent all night in the emergency room.
While there I managed to use the computer at the hotel in London and printed a stack of documents I was able to find online on the UK ancestry.com website. Those documents were in my lap top case. When we got home and unpacked those documents were missing.
In Paris a library is a book store. That was not a pleasant thing to learn, round trip to the "library" and an expensive taxi ride. Much time was wasted.
Now I know we should have gone to the Museum of Natural History but with the triathlon and my injuries our holiday had ended. Paris was out next stop. I have ancestors from England and we both have ancestors from France. We were told we have to go to where our ancestors were born.
I have faith I will get a reply before the 24th. So far replies have been surprisingly quick. I appreciate the help here. This article has been harder to find information for than the article I did about FOUR Goodrich union soldiers buried in the National Cemetery in Nashville, TN USA. We went to the cemetery...two days there and two days back. I've been doing genealogy since 1999.

tenterfieldjulie
19-11-13, 05:46
Good luck. I hope you get a satisfactory reply before your deadline. A shame you didn't know about the amazing source of knowledge on GF earlier. I am an Aussie and so I know how much you want to fit in when you visit UK. Never enough hours .. Julie

Merry
19-11-13, 05:55
I hope you get your answer this week Moonlightflower.

Is there anything else we can help with?

Moonlightflower
22-11-13, 03:25
Thank all of you for your input. I received replies from everybody I sent inquires too. And every one of them did research for me. It happens to be that the cemeteries in England or not indexed. You have to know which cemetery the person or persons are in. However, I learned the Lankester. Edwin Stephen Goodrich's mentor was cremated in 1929. Goodrich passed away in 1946. Edwin was Lankestor's assistant until such time as he took over the editorship of the Science Journal (It had a name). It is possible that Edwin was cremated and his wife kept his ashes until she died and she was cremated. Then Edwin's sister or niece would scatter the ashes. I have an idea where too. Anyway, I sent an email to the crematorium. Hopefully they will get back with me before Sat. The two gold medals that Edwin received from the Linnean Society and the Royal Society are displayed in the library at Merton College. That college is holding open house this Saturday. my husband said we need to teleport ourselves there. Oxford is a beautiful city. I have downloaded all the brochures from their website. For shame we didn't know when we were in London but there would not have been time to go there anyway. Much of what is or was needed could have been reviewed in the for real as I put it.
I dig deep when I research. I do not take the other researchers word to be fact. And because of that I found some errors in A. C. Hardy's write up as well as de Beer's write up. This research I have done does not contain a lot of scientific stuff. I wrote from the viewpoint of him, his personality, where he went, how he got there and information about where he went and the ships he went on. And too made speculations with the data I was able to find. I was able to gather information that the other two authors did not have access to. Thanks again.
Names I am researching are Lee, Goodrich, Burke, Bourque, Bourg, Dugas, Hebert, Johnston, Lachassee, Fredrickson, Bigler, Doty, DeVillier, Berger, Estillete. s there anybody in here who is researching the same names? I have a wealth of information in the many trees I am working on.

Merry
22-11-13, 06:13
I hope you manage to get the information you need before Saturday.

I definitely agree with your husband about teleporting! Perhaps someone will write up the events of the open day?

It would be helpful to know if those names you are researching are in the UK, America or anywhere else. This month we have created a Surname Database on this forum. As it's brand new there are not many names recorded yet (about 750) so you may not find any matches through looking at it at this time. However, we would be very pleased if you would be willing to enter the surnames you are researching to our database. You may then receive contact from other members of this site or from interested parties who come across your entries via Google. You will find a link to our Surname Database at the top of the screen.

Thanks and good luck with all of your research :)

Moonlightflower
22-11-13, 15:13
Will do. This morning I received yet another email from Merton College. Much of the information about Prof Edwin Stephen Goodrich and his father I already had. However more information was garnered from this contact.
And too, I received a reply from the crematorium website which I thought was THE crematorium to contact. It turned out to be a website for all of the crematoriums in the UK. The advise I was given was to call the Golders Green Crematorium direct. They do not have an email address. Would it be possible for someone in the UK to place that call for me? This is for the Goodrich Family Association.
Since Professor Edwin Ray Lankester was cremated in 1929 and he and Prof Goodrich were close friends I though perhaps Goodrich too was cremated in Jan 1946 when he died. Goodrich was Lankester's assistant. Eventually Goodrich became the editor of the Quarterly Journal of Microscopial Science. Prof Goodrich's wife Helen Pixell Goodrich died 29 May 1957. He died 6 Jan. 1946.
Thanks,
Moonlightflower (my pen name)

Merry
23-11-13, 12:54
By the time I read your last post it was after 5pm Friday and having phoned the crematorium this morning I now know their opening hours are Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm. But of course it's one of your cut off days tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's most likely they will insist you write with your request for information - I don't know that for certain though, so I will give them a second call on Monday.

Just putting the number here so I don't have to look it up again!

020 8455 2374

Moonlightflower
23-11-13, 19:48
Thank you so much. If I have to write a letter please let me know. If the information does not make it to print for the Dec. issue at least i would have it for the Historical Writer's contest in Feb.2014.

Merry
23-11-13, 19:54
Will do. :)

Merry
25-11-13, 10:56
Right, I've phoned the crematorium and they said....

There is a charge of £10 to do a historic search (payable whether they find anything or not). They can take the details over the phone or by email. Payment can be made using most credit or debit cards. The phone number is in my last post (hopefully you know what the international dialling code is, because I don't!!)

If you would prefer to make contact with them by email then their address is: [email protected]

I got the impression it wouldn't take them too long to do the lookup as you have the date of death etc (I did tell them it was 1946!) - a visit to their basement and looking in a ledger by the sound of it.

Good luck!! I hope they have the information you need.

kiterunner
25-11-13, 11:14
Before you decide to pay £10, I'm not sure why you think he would be cremated in London if he lived in Oxford? Wouldn't it be best to try the Oxford crematorium first? Or have you already tried them?
http://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/crematoria/index.asp?pageid=20&fd=568

Merry
25-11-13, 12:37
That's what I thought too Kate.

Merry
25-11-13, 13:53
I posted the email details for Oxford crem in post #12, so when I read this....

I sent an email to the crematorium. Hopefully they will get back with me before Sat.

I thought Moonlightflower had contacted Oxford, but then I read this ...

I received a reply from the crematorium website which I thought was THE crematorium to contact. It turned out to be a website for all of the crematoriums in the UK. The advise I was given was to call the Golders Green Crematorium direct.

...and felt confused! (doesn't take much lol)

Moonlightflower
25-11-13, 16:09
I have no clue as to where these crematoriums are. Prof. Lankester was cremated and there is a memorial for him at that crematorium. That's why I tried that one. But the reason for believing he was cremated is that he was also a Naturalist and Lankester was his mentor. If you Google or whatever search engine you use.....Edwin Stephen Goodrich you will know a bit about him. Merton College has no information about his burial even though a Private Memorial Service was held for him there. As to when that service was I was not told. A memorial service can be held months later or even the following year. When I looked at the death announcement for his father, that notice was posted from Somerset.

Reverend Octavius Pitt Goodrich was Edwin Stephen Goodrich’s father. He was a Rev. at the rector in Humber. Now for me to figure out the details of that has been frustrating. I have not been able to find out all of the churches in Humber. That’s not enough information for me.

His will was probated where Edwin was born. He died when Edwin was two weeks of age. The probate information reads:
31 August. Letters of Administration of the Personal estate and effects of the reverend Octavius Pitt Goodrich late of Humber in the County of Hereford Clerk deceased who died 4 July 1868 at Weston-super-Mare in the County of Somerset were granted at Hereford to Frances Lucinda Goodrich of Humber aforesaid Widow the relict of the said Deceased she having been first sworn.

Edwin was a professor at Oxford University in Oxfordshire. Not knowing the geography of England and not knowing how far these towns are from each other is a big confusing to me. We live south of Tyler, Texas which is over 200 miles from our hometown. We have not made our wills yet or even decided if we want to be buried in our home town, cremated and ashes scattered where!?!?!? IF I were to decide on cremation my first choice of scattered ashes is where we spent our first anniversary which is where I last worked as a nurse Hawaii. That is many miles from where we live and from our hometown. The second choice is where we got married, New Hampshire on Lake Winnipesaukee? on the Mount Washington Cruise Ship. That lake covers several towns. Hawaii - the Pacific Ocean...New Hampshire -the lake - back home - The Gulf of Mexico where his deceased wife's ashes were scattered which is not an appealing thought to me. As for the cemetery back home, there are not many plots left and none near my parents. My husband's parents are in a mausoleum.
Edwin did not have any children. His wife was ten years his junior. His sister died in 1960. His niece died in 2000. His brother died in 1943. His mother died in 1911. That ended that branch of the Goodrich family.

Shona
25-11-13, 16:16
The parish church for the village of Humber is St Mary.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Humber,_Herefordshire

Shona
25-11-13, 16:18
And this is from Kelly's direcory for 1856. It mentions the Rev Goodrich.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Humber/Kelly1856.html

Merry
25-11-13, 16:21
Well, if I were you I would begin by trying the crematorium in Oxford (see post #12). This is only a couple of miles from where Edwin Goodrich died and would seem the logical place especially as his was a private ceremony (according to The Times) whereas Professor E. Ray Lankester had a big service at St Martin in the Fields in London which is only about five or six miles from Golders Green Crematorium.

Moonlightflower
25-11-13, 16:22
I am open to suggestions. Somehow my message got posted before I was finished. What church would his father have been the reverend of?
Oh, my ancestor Edward Goodrich translated the Catholic Bible and called the book The Book of Common Prayer.
I am the eldest living person in my family as far as who keeps up with who. We are a divided family. My aunt Eveline's daughter died two years ago. Her son, my cousin does return calls but I do have permission from him to work his DNA account with Family Tree DNA. My other aunt died in 1992 and her three children do not reply to emails any more. That leaves my brother my sister and me. As for my adopted father's side of the family there is only his nephew Poozum and he rarely returns calls. He does not keep up with family. He other nephew lives on the upper east coast of the US and he never returns calls and does not reply to letters. And on my birth father's side, I have one cousin that occasionally calls or sends a letter. She and I are working on daddy's side of the family but mostly me. She and her husband are very ill. My brother in law rarely returns phone calls and rarely answers his phone. My sister has Alzheimer Disease. My brother and I are it. My son does not know any of my family but my sister and brother in law and my brother. My brother's children are not interested in genealogy. My daughter exited my life in 1994 for who knows what reason. It's her problem. She started keeping in touch with her dad due to a huge inheritance she stands to gain from. Whatever...I am it.
I will be 73 in Dec. I am the one who does my husband's family too. I have over a dozen trees I am working on. But this guy...I was assigned to do a biography on him by the Goodrich Association which I belong to. My great grandmother was a Goodrich.
That's the most active side of my family and again I am it...the person who knows whatever and researches.
I am rambling...sorry. I am open to suggestions.
Edwin Goodrich traveled the world on his scientific researches. He married in 1913. His wife was also a scientist. She went with him on trips on a few occasions that I can get proof for. They worked together on only two researches. Other wise they kept their work separate. He attended church regularly, was an Anglican. He also was a Naturalist.
Thank you for all your input.
My website is listed with my profile.

Moonlightflower
25-11-13, 16:29
Cool, I thought it would be St. Mary. I was christened/baptized at St. Mary's in Port Arthur, Texas. And too, I went to clown school at St. Mary's church in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Okay....maybe I have to be a member of this website because my server shows an error.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF...Kelly1856.html

This one shows an error too.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/..._Herefordshire

I am a member of family search and have used their website and come up pretty much empty handed, not much information going by way of American servers.

I will try again by logging in.

Merry
25-11-13, 16:29
The memorial service for Professor E S Goodrich was held at Merton College Chapel, Oxford on Sat 26th Jan 1946 at 2.30pm. (The Times)

Moonlightflower
25-11-13, 16:35
Ah ha, I am learning more about what the records and headstones are called in England. And too, where and who to contact. Merton College spent hours researching and sent several emails to me. They were very helpful. However if I find where Prof Goodrich is buried or whatever they requested that I forward the information to them as they do not know either.

kiterunner
25-11-13, 16:36
Oxford Crematorium wouldn't have been there when Lankester was cremated but it would when Goodrich was. (if he was)

Merry
25-11-13, 17:42
The parish church for the village of Humber is St Mary.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Humber,_Herefordshire

And this is from Kelly's direcory for 1856. It mentions the Rev Goodrich.

Okay....maybe I have to be a member of this website because my server shows an error.

This one shows an error too.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/..._Herefordshire

You did just click Shona's links and not copy and paste them into your browser? (This forum truncates the addresses so extra long ones don't take up acres of space!) They should work as you don't need to be a member of either site. They work for me.

kiterunner
25-11-13, 17:52
Merry, your link in post #12 is to the Oxford Cemeteries Service website, but it doesn't say anything about crematoria on there. My link in post #31 is to the Oxford Crematorium website. I should think Moonlightflower would be best to contact both.

Merry
25-11-13, 17:59
I imagined the Oxford Cemeteries Service would hold the archived records for the cemetery and the crematorium (mainly because the equivalent does here!), but you are right, contact both.

Moonlightflower
25-11-13, 21:58
I contacted St Mary Church via an email service within a website I as referred to...forgot which one now. I think it was billions whatever...similar to our findagrave here.
Thanks, I will spend more time on this tomorrow.

Moonlightflower
25-11-13, 21:59
Error 404 - Page not Found - /big/eng/HEF...Kelly1856.html

This is what I got clicking on the link in the post.

Merry
25-11-13, 22:27
How odd. That error message is exactly what I get if I click on this:

but I get the page if I click this one:

Phoenix
25-11-13, 22:41
If you hover your cursor over them, the second one is a proper link, while the first one looks as if the second has been copied as plain text and then a space typed after it to create a hyperlink.

Merry
26-11-13, 05:50
Exactly. I couldn't recreate Moonlightflower's error code unless I clicked the copied version of the link - that's why I wondered if she had copied and pasted it into her browser.

Moonlightflower
05-03-14, 11:56
Wow it's been ages since I have been here. My article was printed in the December 2013 issue of the Goodrich Gospel (quarterly newsletter) and is now entered in the International Society of Family History Writers and Editors contest. The winners will be announced at the Conference in San Antonio, Texas in August of this year 2014. The end result for Prof. Goodrich's burial is it remains private. When and if i ever get where I will be sending the information to Merton College per their request. It is such a shame that we did not know about his medals being displayed at the college when we were in London. This article is my second one to be published in the Goodrich Family Association's newsletters. The president of the association asked me to do these articles. The first was about four union soldiers buried in the Nashville National Cemetery in Nashville, Tennessee. One was supposed to be an ancestor. What a shock when we saw Ohio on his headstone. I had to do more research. Then the president of the organization did more research on my ancestor and had that article published. She did that for me. ;-) My Goodrich ancestors were very notable people, especially in England. They had to literally start from scratch when they came to America. That was not an easy thing to do.
Thank you so much for your generous help and support.
Carolyn aka Moonlightflower ;-)

Moonlightflower
10-11-14, 23:34
Well it has definitely been a long time since I have been here. My article was published in the December issue of the Goodrich Quarterly Gospel. We went to the Federation of Genealogists Conference this past August in San Antonio, Texas. My husband said it was like being in school all over again with lectures all day long. He enjoyed the lectures as much as I did which was pleasing to me.
My article did not win an award but I am satisfied it was published. And mostly thankful for all the help I received in this website.
Merton College is still waiting to hear from me if I ever find where Prof. Goodrich was either buried or cremated. I don't believe he dedicated his body to scientific research since his forte was primarily marine life.
I concluded in my article that his burial remains a private affair. I was able to locate several photos of him and some of his artwork.
So the search or hope goes on for where his remains are.
While in London in Sept. 2013 nobody knew where to direct me for genealogy research. I did find the uk and the fr sections of ancestry.com while there. When we got home I discovered that the British library is in London as are the archives. However much of our time was spent on the main purpose for going. My husband is now the 18th in the world in his age group for the World Sprint Triathlon Finals held in Hyde Park in Sept. of 2013.
He can no longer compete due to finding out he had Atrial Fibrillation when we returned home. He had a ablation in December. 2013. He then decided to help me more with genealogy research but still has to learn how to do the research.
Since I no longer have my website I cannot insert photos of Prof Goodrich.
I may find I need more research on another ancestor from Great Britain. The Goodrich Association has done tremendous research and I am a member of their association.

Moonlightflower
10-11-14, 23:50
PS - We visit cemeteries everywhere we go. We both take photos of headstones we know or believe to be an ancestor and as many war veterans as we find.

kiterunner
11-11-14, 07:12
Nice to hear from you again, Carolyn. Please let us know if you ever find out where he was buried / cremated. And if you need help with that other ancestor you mentioned.

kiterunner
01-10-16, 18:56
Carolyn, good news! The Oxfordshire Parish Registers are now available online at ancestry, and they have Edwin Stephen Goodrich's burial listed: 9 Jan 1946 at St Peter in the East, Oxford, age 77, abode 12 Park Town, Oxford.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/61059/PAR213_1_R5_2_062/607199?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk% 2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dOxfordshireParishBurials%26gs s%3dsfs28_ms_db%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26msT%3d1%26M S_AdvCB%3d1%26gsfn%3dedw*n*%26gsfn_x%3d1%26msddy%3 d1946%26msddy_x%3d1%26MSAV%3d2%26uidh%3dvm5&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

Moonlightflower
31-05-18, 16:35
All these years and the correct answer is now here. There are people in ancestry that now have trees for Prof Goodrich and his wife, Helen. I've written and asked what their connection is. It has always been Helen is in their tree.
So I continued to pursue the other people in his tree. People have the burial place wrong.
When I researched the cemetery I came up empty. I contacted St. Edmund's and was told about another cemetery.
To cut to the chase......construction of St. Edmund's and their library necessitated changing things.
This is the reply I received with regards to Holywell. I am going to send this information to Stephen Goodrich who is in charge of the Goodrich Family Association patriarch website and their book.
With much gratitude for your help,
Carolyn aka Moonlightflower in Texas, USA

Dear Carolyn Hebert,
Thank you for contacting us regarding Professor Goodrich.

Yes, he is buried in Holywell Cemetery in Oxford, with his wife(?) Helen Lucia Mary Goodrich in plot F31. If you’d like a copy of the map of the plot, do let me know.

All our parish records have been scanned, & our now available on Ancestry. So although he wasn’t buried there, his burial entry is in the parish records for St.Peter in the East. He was 77, & was living at 12, Park Town Oxford at the time of his death. He was buried on January 9th 1946.
Unusually, the ceremony was performed by the Vicar of Radley (a village 5 miles from Oxford), instead of the Vicar of St.Cross (the church next to the burial ground).

I hope you find this information helpful.
Regards,

Anna