PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find John Brown!

Merry
13-11-13, 13:12
Haven't got anywhere with this for BK6

Why do people have to have such common names?

Now I'm trying to find John Brown, tailor, of Monmouth Street, London who is mentioned in several a2a documents around 1806-ish.

I know he had a sister named Sarah Brown who was born about 1747, but I don't know where she was born.

Having looked at old and current maps I see Monmouth St has moved very slightly, but is/was basically between Drury Lane and Shaftesbury Avenue, very close to Seven Dials. (Also just over half way between Tottenham Court Road and Coven Garden tube stations).

My first question is, which parish might that be?

maggie_4_7
13-11-13, 13:18
St Giles.

Merry
13-11-13, 13:24
Thank you Maggie. Should be simple now!! lol :)

maggie_4_7
13-11-13, 13:32
Didn't we look for him before and found a John Brown tailor on an 1841 census in that vicinity not sure it was Monmouth St but it could have been.

That is St Giles in the Fields
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Giles_in_the_Fields

Merry
13-11-13, 13:33
Oooh look, I didn't get very far last time round!! lol

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11317

Merry
13-11-13, 13:34
Maggie - please don't tell me you remembered that or I will have to start worrying about Alzheimers :(:o

maggie_4_7
13-11-13, 13:35
LOL see my post above!

Yes I did but I do have a good memory its a certain type of memory can't remember the name now LOL its a long name not 'photographic'

Merry
13-11-13, 13:37
Yes I saw that!! Did you remember it, or did you do a search (which is how I found the same thing!)

I don't think there's anything NEW on my tree to look into, so nearly every thread I post is probably already on here. I really should try looking first as my memory doesn't seem to function properly any more :o:o:o

maggie_4_7
13-11-13, 13:39
No I remembered it.

I am on iPhone at moment so very limited on forum posting on a 2 inch screen.

Is it Drury Lane?

Merry
13-11-13, 13:46
Drury lane is close by. (am envious of your memory!)

I've found John Brown on the Land Tax records in 1805, but I have to go out now and my phone takes about five minutes to connect to the internet, so I will probably leave this until later! Thanks for your help Maggie :D:D:D

Back later.

maggie_4_7
13-11-13, 15:49
Drury lane is close by. (am envious of your memory!)

I've found John Brown on the Land Tax records in 1805, but I have to go out now and my phone takes about five minutes to connect to the internet, so I will probably leave this until later! Thanks for your help Maggie :D:D:D

Back later.

i just looked at lnk to orginal thread (still on iPhone so a long process) and I didn't post the link to census I found, I am sure he was a tailor but you discarded him because of age I think although now not sure how you saw unless you searched yourself and 1841 is dodgy for ages it was a bad copy and I had a feeling at the time it was him not sure why.

Merry
13-11-13, 16:43
I suppose the thought that his sister was born before 1750 makes it unlikely he would be alive in 1841 - no other reason.

Merry
13-11-13, 16:50
I've spent the last ages looking at the land tax records and I think it's going to be almost impossible to identify the right John Brown I've only found the one entry in the right street, but there are lots of other John Browns around so I guess I'll have to give up for the time being.

kiterunner
13-11-13, 17:25
LOL see my post above!

Yes I did but I do have a good memory its a certain type of memory can't remember the name now LOL its a long name not 'photographic'

Eidetic?

Merry
13-11-13, 17:39
Probably.

I remember other people's trees quite well; at least I know if I've read a problem before, but I'm no good with remembering if I've posted up one of my own problems because I've looked at them so many times!!

maggie_4_7
13-11-13, 19:03
Eidetic?

No that is what is commonly referred to as 'photographic' memory which is quite rare although mimicked by some by using other memory functions and practicing over time because generally as you get older even if you had Eidetic memory to begin with you would probably lose it as you got older.

maggie_4_7
13-11-13, 19:07
I suppose the thought that his sister was born before 1750 makes it unlikely he would be alive in 1841 - no other reason.

Ahh good reason your John Brown would probably have been quite old in 1841, given the life expectancy then he probably would have died already.

kiterunner
13-11-13, 19:16
So looking through your old threads, John Brown was the eldest son of Joseph Brown late of Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, tailor, Joseph being deceased by 1806, and Joseph was the eldest son of Thomas Brown, also a tailor, of Wadesmill in the parish of Standon, Hertfordshire. Just so we have the info to hand.

Merry
13-11-13, 19:29
lol - clearly I've missed a thread!!

Merry
13-11-13, 19:31
Oh, that dreaded document that I still don't entirely understand!! lol

Merry
13-11-13, 19:58
I think I was so busy trying to understand what the doc was about I didn't take a lot of notice of the Browns (as at the time I didn't know they were related) when I posted that thread about the copyhold property.