PDA

View Full Version : War memorial question

Asa
07-11-13, 08:33
With the wartime civilian deaths now on Ancestry, I've been looking at the people who died alongside my great grandfather at Jackson's Garage, Rathbone Place off Oxford Street, Marylebone district, 18 September 1940.

In an online book (A Guide to Wartime London: Six walks revisiting the Blitz) twenty people were supposedly killed there, including seven firefighters. Looking at the Marylebone bit on the Civilian war dead on Ancestry, I can see all of the firefighters but only eight others, instead of 13.

I know there was sometimes debate about where peoples names should be recorded on war memorials - is it likely that the remaining people would be recorded on other memorials or that the author is mistaken?

Shona
07-11-13, 08:53
In my studies of war memorials, I have seen quite a number of names of civilians who lost their lives - mainly WW2.

Asa
07-11-13, 09:13
Shona are they mostly recorded where they died? I know of a WWI chap who lived in Suffolk but was remembered in the berkshire village he came from

Shona
07-11-13, 09:20
It varies. There was a lot of politics surrounding who appeared on memorials. I've got one chap who appears on five - birth village, a school memorial, a work one, regimental and one in the town he ended up living in. Two of my great uncles appear on two separate memorials (in addition to the CWG ones).