PDA

View Full Version : Those Kempston Maynard's again

Merry
06-11-13, 12:15
BK6 updated from this thread

I'm still battling on with trying to separate fact from fiction for my Maynards (and now I've found my Kempston PR transcripts I'm taking a closer look at those!).

As many of you probably know already (by heart?) my 4xg-grandparents don't seem to have been buried.

William Maynard died between 13th May 1765, when he signed his will, and and 27th Feb 1766 when his will was proved. He was "of Kempston, yeoman".

His youngest son (my 3xg-grandfather) David wrote his memoirs when in his 60s and stated his own birth was 28th August 1748 in Kempston (no baptism) and also said his mother (who I now know was Elizabeth Maynard nee Crawley) died when he was 18 months old.

Now looking at the burial registers for Kempston durig the period of William and Elizabeth's marriage 1737 to about Feb 1749/50), there are only three Maynard burials. The first two are probably not directly connected, and the third one states:

19th Feb 1749 (and I don't know if the year is old or new style, so that could make a difference to the question/answer) An infant daughter of William Mineard, farmer.

Now, if the date is old style then that is 18 months after David's birth and it would be easy to imagine it's the burial of his baby sister, presumably about the time their mother died. Bt would they bury the baby at Kempston and the mother elsewhere if they died close together in date? None of the Maynard children were baptised at Kempston. Elizabeth Maynard nee Crawley came from a family where the children who died ended up in the C of E churchyard, but her parents are also lacking burials.

And ideas?

I really should go and examine the fiche to see if there are any clues to the old/new date thing, but it's very cold in the dining room :rolleyes:

kiterunner
06-11-13, 12:44
Bt would they bury the baby at Kempston and the mother elsewhere if they died close together in date?

I think it is possible if they didn't die on the same day or one very soon after the other.

Shona
06-11-13, 13:13
Is the Levi Maynard, who assaulted a policeman in 1834, linked to your Maynards?

Merry
06-11-13, 14:14
Thanks Kate.

Is the Levi Maynard, who assaulted a policeman in 1834, linked to your Maynard's?

Sadly, yes he is! William and Elizabeth were his 2xg-grandparents.