PDA

View Full Version : end of the line

Kit
06-11-13, 00:55
I found a transcription of a family bible online that is somehow connected to OH's family. I think the wife/mother in the transcription is the sister of OH's 4g grandfather but I can't prove that yet. However a son of the couple married the daughter of the 4g grandfather. That is fact.

The couple have 16 children (7 females, 9 males). 14 of the children survived to adulthood, the remaining 2 I have not yet found so may have survived. Not one female married, only 3 males married and only one of those (married to OH's 3g aunt) had any children.

Many of the sisters lived together, on and off, according to the census and 2 of the younger brothers also lived together.

It is strange that given there were 16 children to start with that it appears only one of them went on to have a family of their own. They had 2 children, the first 10 years after marriage. Those 2 daughters did not have children of their own, one did not marry and the other married her cousin's husband, after the cousin died.

I know lines die out but it is sad to see.

Olde Crone
06-11-13, 08:22
I have this as well, more than once in fact and the result is that many lines are dying out - the surname will die with my brother as the only descendants are female.

My great grandmother was one of eleven. Only two married (one married her uncle, at the age of 14, urghh) and the two who married produced only three children between them. The unmarried ones lived together in varying combinations till they died of very old age. I have often wondered why the men especially, did not marry.

OC

Merry
06-11-13, 08:35
When my 3xg-grandfather split his daughter from her husband from beyond the grave in 1765, I wonder if he would have been pleased or otherwise to know their line clung on for nearly 150 years despite lots of premature deaths etc. :rolleyes:

Mary from Italy
06-11-13, 10:44
I have quite a few similar families.

In my own paternal line, although the descendants are continuing, the surname will die with me, which is rather sad.

Langley Vale Sue
06-11-13, 12:57
My brother & one cousin are the last surviving males of our line. My brother has 2 daughters and our cousin has 2 sons, although I don't think they bear the surname. One of my nieces has said she will keep her surname even if she does marry, but she is adamant that she won't have children so the name will then die out from our line.

Mary from Italy
06-11-13, 17:33
When my 3xg-grandfather split his daughter from her husband from beyond the grave in 1765

How did he manage that?

Kit
06-11-13, 23:56
I imagine she didn't get the money if she was still with him.

ElizabethHerts
07-11-13, 07:20
Toni, we have this happening on quite a few of my major lines in my Mum's family, so much so that my uncle (by marriage) wrote a poem about it for a family gathering.

We no longer have any Purkis, Quintrell or White descendants from my ancestors, which is very sad. There were lots of girls, and the boys didn't seem to have boys or reproduce at all!

Kit
07-11-13, 11:29
I did find one of the missing 2 brothers and he did marry and reproduce. I haven't yet traced if the children continued.

I think it just hit me as I traced this line in a couple of days so they were born and died out in a very short time (to me) and there were a lot of children. I'm still surprised mum lasted 8 years after her last child before dying.

Olde Crone
07-11-13, 11:35
I know what you mean about things hitting you when you do the research in a few days.

My 5 x GGM had 19 children in 25 years. Only two survived to adulthood. She outlived them all and was a widow for 20 odd years. I cannot imagine what her life was like, or how she survived.

OC

Merry
07-11-13, 13:46
My 5 x GGM had 19 children in 25 years. Only two survived to adulthood. She outlived them all and was a widow for 20 odd years. I cannot imagine what her life was like, or how she survived.

OC

I almost asked if she had any grandchildren :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

*goes for a lie down* :o

Kit
08-11-13, 05:32
I know what you mean about things hitting you when you do the research in a few days.

OC

Poor woman. I need to have a lie down too. I was going to say there is no reason why she couldn't have grandchildren before her children died. :o

I actually took a break from my research at one point. I kept coming across a lot of babies that were born and died then I found the death of my great aunt on FreeBDM. I 'knew' she was dead but it really upset me and I put it all away for a time.

Olde Crone
08-11-13, 08:38
On the other hand, I sometimes wish I could say to my ancestors, "Don't worry, it's going to be ok, you may be a widow in 1861 with 5 children but you are going to marry again in a couple of years and live to a good old age".

OC

Kit
08-11-13, 10:59
I've wanted to say a lot of things to my ancestors, or OH's, but have never thought to reassure them they would be ok. I figure by now they have worked it out. lol

Nell
11-11-13, 14:57
I've got a few lines that died out. In my own generation, my brother died childless and my three male cousins have no children, so our paternal surname will die out. I've produced 2 boys but my female cousin has gone one better and had 3 children, though of course all of this generation have surnames from their fathers, not our paternal line. Mind you, our surname was Gray so its not that exotic!

Margaret in Burton
11-11-13, 17:00
My maiden name in our line has died out. My grandparents had five children, two sons dad and his brother. I have a sister and uncle had five, four girls and a son who died as an infant.

My hubby's line has gone too after him. His dad was one of six. Three girls and three boys. Eldest son married but had no children, youngest never married and father in law just my OH. We have two daughters. My mother in law thought we should try for a son after two girls but I told her I'm not a brood mare. She didn't do a lot to increase the family line so why should I.

Kit
13-11-13, 05:41
My maiden name will die out when my Dad dies too. There are only females having children so the line will continue but not the name.

ElizabethHerts
13-11-13, 07:21
Thanks to my nephew, who has three sons, my maiden name won't die out. My other nephew and his wife have a little girl, but they are expecting another baby next year, so there might well be another boy.

A relief as on my Mum's side a lot of the lovely names have died out.