PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire will found in unusual place

ElizabethHerts
03-11-13, 12:06
I've been puzzling over this for some time. I finally contacted Hebden Bridge History Society and sent them the required payment - £5.

http://www.hebdenbridgehistory.org.uk/archive/downloads/deeds-wills-legal-documents.pdf

This morning I have received scans of the two wills.
I'm over the moon - despite my scepticism the Thomas Jackson will is that of my 4x-great-grandfather. :D There was also another son. The icing on the cake - his son Henry was indeed schoolmaster at Heptonstall. My 3x-great-grandfather Isaac is mentioned.

Now I can ask for scans of the other documents.

I had asked the Archives and the Borthwick Institute about possible wills for this family and they had none.

Merry
03-11-13, 13:04
How lovely, Elizabeth!!

Don't lose them will you? (see my thread, "Blinky flip" lol)

ElizabethHerts
03-11-13, 13:16
Hopefully I can't lose them, Merry, as I have downloaded them into my Jackson file.

We're off to a friend's birthday celebrations so they will be waiting for me when we get back.

Merry
03-11-13, 13:25
*wonders if there will be cake* :)

Have a lovely time!

ElizabethHerts
05-11-13, 16:49
The wills are proving most useful and I'm due to receive more documents. It will be interesting to see how long the properties were in the possession of the Jackson family.

ElizabethHerts
30-01-17, 14:51
I've been puzzling over this for some time. I finally contacted Hebden Bridge History Society and sent them the required payment - £5.

http://www.hebdenbridgehistory.org.uk/archive/downloads/deeds-wills-legal-documents.pdf

This morning I have received scans of the two wills.
I'm over the moon - despite my scepticism the Thomas Jackson will is that of my 4x-great-grandfather. :D There was also another son. The icing on the cake - his son Henry was indeed schoolmaster at Heptonstall. My 3x-great-grandfather Isaac is mentioned.

Now I can ask for scans of the other documents.

I had asked the Archives and the Borthwick Institute about possible wills for this family and they had none.

Today I have returned to this will and Thomas Jackson. Previously I couldn't find a will on Findmypast, and I e-mailed the Borthwick Institute to ask if they held a copy, and they said no.

However, today I found this on Findmypast:

First name(s) Thomas
Last name Jackson
Year 1826
Date 1826, FEB
Place Halifax
County Yorkshire
Country England
Court York Prerogative & Exchequer Courts
Court detail Exchequer Court of York
Document type Will
Document reference vol.173, f.96
Index reference 1823061826120164.tif/5
Document ordering http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/remote-services/copying/order-form/
Record set Prerogative & Exchequer Courts Of York Probate Index, 1688-1858

So why has it suddenly appeared?

(Not that I'm complaining!):d

Olde Crone
30-01-17, 14:56
Elizabeth

I don't think it's quite the same thing, but I once found a will which was in the keeping of a solicitor in Salisbury. He wanted 130 plus vat for a copy! I declined and about 6 months later the will turned up in the Lancashire archives and cost me 3.50, lol! So I think that documents do move about.

OC