PDA

View Full Version : blame Merry ..lol John Coxon /Martha Coxon 1805

garstonite
02-11-13, 10:11
Good morning - after putting my surname list on the Surname Database ,I realised I don`t have the maiden name or marriage date of Martha Coxon

John Coxon and Martha Coxon had the following children in Heaton Norris,Stockport - my 3 x G grandparents
MARTHA COXON b 1805 bap 4th august my direct ancestor( 1st born ?..so presume marriage was 1800-1805)
Sarah Coxon b 1808
William Coxon b 1810
Christopher Coxon b 1815
John Coxon b 1818

looking at William - Christopher there is a gap of 5 years - so maybe I have missed a sibling somewhere

can anyone find the marriage of John and Martha please ...not on
familysearch and not on CPRDb ??
cheers
allan

kiterunner
02-11-13, 10:19
There are a couple of possible marriages on FamilySearch but not very near to Stockport:

John Coxon married Martha Ashby 20 Aug 1798 Spondon, Derby
John Coxon married Martha Moor 23 Nov 1803 St Peter, Monkwearmouth, Durham

Also there are children of these two couples in those places at the time your couple were having children, so it looks as though we can rule these out.

Have you got your John and Martha (or one of them) on a census to get birthplace, or did they both die before 1841?

kiterunner
02-11-13, 10:24
There is a public tree on ancestry which gives Martha's maiden name as Royle, and on FamilySearch there is a marriage John Cockson / Martha Royle 31 Dec 1797 Cheadle, Cheshire. It says it is from the Bishop's Transcripts.

garstonite
02-11-13, 10:25
[QUOTE=kiterunner;252211]There are a couple of possible marriages on FamilySearch but not very near to Stockport:

Thanks Kiterunner - sorry - no I don`t have them on a census ...baptism of Martha Coxon - my GG Grandmother was on familysearch with parents names - and siblings baptisms are also on there ...that`s all I have
allan

kiterunner
02-11-13, 10:28
That 1797 Cheadle marriage (see post #3) is on FMP with image available but it is also from the Bishop's Transcripts so it may not tell you much if you view it (I haven't got a sub so I didn't look at it). I should think it's the right couple though since it's pretty near to Stockport.

garstonite
02-11-13, 10:31
does the public tree have John and Martha as Coxon or Cockson ?
looks a very good possibility - but I presume that would mean more siblings from 1798 to 1804 ?...what do you think ?
cheers
allan

Merry
02-11-13, 10:33
blame Merry

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

garstonite
02-11-13, 10:33
That 1797 Cheadle marriage (see post #3) is on FMP with image available but it is also from the Bishop's Transcripts so it may not tell you much if you view it (I haven't got a sub so I didn't look at it). I should think it's the right couple though since it's pretty near to Stockport.

just looked it up - no parents named - no ages given ....gonna check familysearch for Cockson baptisms in Cheadle 1798 to 1804
thanks
back soon:)

ADDED....Can`t see any baptisms for that period ??

garstonite
02-11-13, 11:07
Kiterunner ...I think you may have the right parents ...just checked my tree
Martha Coxon my gg grandmother marries Joseph Allcock 8th July 1833 IN CHEADLE ??...why Cheadle I ask my self - both are born in Stockport ...I wonder if Martha went to her mums family church ??
any thoughts ?
cheers
allan

kiterunner
02-11-13, 11:10
What does it show for the parishes of residence for Martha and Joseph on that 1833 marriage, Allan?

garstonite
02-11-13, 11:12
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Merry - I am glad I went to the surname Database ...I would never have realised I hadn`t got Marthas maiden name ...so thanks for inadvertantly putting me back on track ...lol

garstonite
02-11-13, 11:15
What does it show for the parishes of residence for Martha and Joseph on that 1833 marriage, Allan?

it`s off familysearch ....just says Cheadle unfortunately
allan

kiterunner
02-11-13, 11:18
So if they were living in Cheadle, that would be why they got married there.

kiterunner
02-11-13, 12:29
Here are a couple of possible extra children (baptisms from FamilySearch):

Samuel Cookson born 27 Jan 1801 christened 17 Apr 1801 St Mary, Stockport, Cheshire, parents John and Martha
Marianne Cookson christened 30 Aug 1812 St Mary, Stockport, parents John and Martha.

We need to do some checking to see if they do belong to the same family, though.

kiterunner
02-11-13, 12:50
The baptisms are on FMP with images, so you could start by checking the images (and also the images for the baptisms you already had, if you haven't viewed them already) to see if there is any extra info on there.

kiterunner
02-11-13, 13:06
There is a Mary Ann Coxon marriage to a Richard Bagshaw, 7 Aug 1836, Cheadle, on FamilySearch. Again it is from the Bishop's Transcripts, as is the image on FMP, so I don't know whether the FMP image will tell you any more. I'll see if I can find what happened to them to see if we can get any clues as to whether she is Marianne Cookson and whether she is a daughter of your John and Martha. (Edit - will do this later as I have to go out shopping while it's sunny!)

ElizabethHerts
02-11-13, 13:39
For the 1818 baptism of John to John and Martha Coxon, they lived at Heaton Norris and John the father was a spinner.

kiterunner
02-11-13, 16:19
There is a Richard Bagshaw, 46, widower, cotton power loom weaver, born Lancashire Heaton Norris, lodger in Heaton Lane, Heaton Norris, on the 1851 census. No children with him. And there is a Richard Bagshaw (transcribed as Brashaw on ancestry) in Stockport, Cheshire, in 1841, age 35, same occupation, born out of county. So Mary Ann probably died before 1841. There is a death on Cheshire BMD, 1837 Mary Ann Bagshaw, age 25, Heaton Norris sub-district, which would fit with Marianne Cookson's year of baptism.

kiterunner
02-11-13, 18:34
On the 1841 census there is a Samuel Coockson at Crown Street, Deansgate, Manchester, age 40, carter, not born in county, with Martha 40 and Mary 9 both born in county. His surname isn't very clear. There is a death for Samuel Cookson in Manchester in 1841 but Lancs BMD gives his age as 47. Their marriage is probably Samuel Cookson / Martha Pinnington 11 Nov 1821 at St Mary the Virgin, Eccles, Lancashire, witnesses Thomas Turner and Peter Pinnington. I'm not really sure whether this is the same person as the Samuel Cookson who was born and baptised in 1801.

garstonite
04-11-13, 17:46
Thanks very much ...sorry I haven`t been online since saturday morning ...grandkids take over the house ...lol...
cheers
allan