PDA

View Full Version : Nottinghamshire marriage licences available

ElizabethHerts
01-11-13, 15:53
At Nottingham University, Manuscripts and Special Collection s Department.

They have the bond for my ancestors Henry Newbourn (Newbund) and Katherine Codd from 1722.

Mary from Italy
01-11-13, 18:59
That's useful, thanks very much.

This is the link for anyone who's wondering where they are:

http://mss-cat.nottingham.ac.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Roles&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

Don't assume that the ages given are accurate, though.

I've just found one where the ages of both parties are given as 21, whereas the groom was actually 60 and the bride 53, so I assume it just means "full age".

kiterunner
01-11-13, 19:13
Oh, thanks for that, both of you! I assumed that Elizabeth meant "available if you go there in person" and although it's only a few miles from here I don't think it would be easy to get to, but online! That's much better! I shall have a proper look later when I'm on my other computer, nearly supper time just now.

Mary from Italy
01-11-13, 19:43
They don't seem to have the images, though, just an index.

The site also has Notts Presentment Bills online in the Archdeaconry collection.

ElizabethHerts
01-11-13, 21:29
Sorry not to have posted the link before. I was at my daughter's and was on my tablet. I had just received a reply to my e-mail asking if they had the marriage bond and was quite excited!

"We should be pleased to provide you with a copy of the bond for the marriage of Henry Newbund and Katherine Codd. The cost of forwarding you this copy will be £4.14, which is inclusive of all departmental charges. Estimates are valid for one month. I regret that we cannot send you the copy until we have first received payment in advance. To order the copy, please complete the enclosed declaration form and return both parts to us with your payment."

I shall order it tomorrow. For those interested, this is their e-mail address:

[email protected]

ElizabethHerts
01-11-13, 21:33
It's actually very odd, because I didn't use the search. I was directed to this site via Nottinghamshire Archives. The Newbund (Newbourn)/Codd bond doesn't appear on the site as far as I can see!

Mary from Italy
01-11-13, 23:03
Maybe that period isn't indexed yet? The bonds I found were all after 1800.

ElizabethHerts
07-11-13, 09:12
Just to let you know that when I made the payment for the bond I asked about the index. They are adding to it all the time and they are working backwards, so it's worth keeping an eye on it.