PDA

View Full Version : Can I find a Marriage Licence

Kit
01-11-13, 10:15
John Drake married Maria Story on 7 December 1805 at Bloomsbury St George by licence.

Is it possible to find the licence anywhere and if so where would I look?

thanks in advance

ElizabethHerts
01-11-13, 10:42
The marriage andimage in Ancestry. Do you have the details?

ElizabethHerts
01-11-13, 10:43
Sorry, on tablet with Benjamin!

Kit
01-11-13, 10:47
I can see the marriage on ancestry but it says by licence. Doesn't that mean there was another document?

Oakum Picker
01-11-13, 11:10
The licences rarely survived but if it was issued by the Bishop of London the allegation & bond should be at the Guildhall Library. I believe the LDS have also filmed some.

kiterunner
01-11-13, 11:32
There are some allegations and bonds on ancestry but I can't see it on there.
FMP has entries for both names in 1805 under "Dioceses of England & Wales" in the "Parish Marriages" section (transcript only) so you could look at those to see if it is that couple and if so, whether it is their allegation and / or bond.

ElizabethHerts
01-11-13, 14:20
Is George Story the witness her father or brother?

Kit
01-11-13, 20:02
Thanks Glen aand Kate. I'll check FMP now.

Elizabeth the witness is Maria's father. There is no brother George, that I have found anyway.

Kit
01-11-13, 20:24
It certainly looks like their information. Right year, just a short time before the wedding. However reading the information of the SoG website it is not going to give me more information that the parish record already on ancestry.

I was hoping it might list John's father's name as I am trying to take the tree back another generation.