PDA

View Full Version : What does this say, please?

ElizabethHerts
28-10-13, 14:41
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/lambelizabeth/ThomasAbbeywill2_zps31170ca9.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/lambelizabeth/media/ThomasAbbeywill2_zps31170ca9.jpg.html)

I'm not sure about the word(s) after "yeare of our Sovereign Lord King George the Second &c Anno" before "in 1729".

Any help greatly appreciated.

kiterunner
28-10-13, 14:57
I think the first bit could be xc meaning etc, and I don't think the last bit is "in" because of the upwards stroke at the end but not figured out what it is yet. I think the etc would be because the King had other titles they didn't bother to put in, and that the other bit means the year is also known as 1729.

kiterunner
28-10-13, 15:00
Are there any capital letters like the ones of those two words elsewhere in the document, Elizabeth? (Wondering if it could be Anno something Dni but I don't know whether those could be an A and a D.)

ElizabethHerts
28-10-13, 15:11
Thanks, Kate.

I had "&c Anno /in 1729" but I also thought it might not be "in".

The letter before the "in" bit looks like a capital Z with a squiggle through it.
The A in Anno looks like the A in Abbey (the testator was Thomas Abbey).

It's not important in the scheme of things, but I like to work everything out, and phrases do occur again in other documents.

maryphil
28-10-13, 17:42
Elizabeth
I can't see the document, I've got a message saying "sorry this person removed or deleted this image"
Regards
Mary

ElizabethHerts
28-10-13, 17:51
Elizabeth
I can't see the document, I've got a message saying "sorry this person removed or deleted this image"
Regards
Mary

I'll see what has happened with my Photobucket, Mary.

ElizabethHerts
28-10-13, 17:54
Mary, I've re-attached it so I hope it is visible now.

Phoenix
28-10-13, 21:10
I would think it says Annoque Domini (AND in the year of the Lord) though I would expect it to say dni rather than (as it looks) din.

ElizabethHerts
28-10-13, 21:18
Phoenix, I was thinking the one character was a q and that -que was an option.
Perhaps the din is a slip of the pen.

What you suggest makes sense.

maryphil
29-10-13, 07:54
Elizabeth
I agree with Phoenix but I am useless at Latin as I didn't learn it at school. I do however have a copy of the Compleat Court-Keeper written in 1776, an absolute must have for anyone trying to transcribe Manor Court Rolls.
It says &c Nono, Annoq Dom
Regards
Mary

maryphil
29-10-13, 08:22
I must qualify that, because on reading my message back it looks like I'm trying to be a smartie pants and I've transcribed it in those words. I am just copying out the Latin formula in my book.
Mary