PDA

View Full Version : Help reading text from inventory, please.

ElizabethHerts
23-10-13, 17:58
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/lambelizabeth/P1160942_zps1a8a13fb.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/lambelizabeth/media/P1160942_zps1a8a13fb.jpg.html)

This appears on the cover of an inventory I have transcribed. I'm trying to make sense of it. Any help very welcome!

kiterunner
23-10-13, 18:33
This is what I have so far, "de" means "of" and most of the rest is place names and people's names. I think the bit after Sara Parker's name is something like "of the same place" but need to check. And Cler could mean that Joseph Hoole was a cleric?

L: inter Jos: Hoole de Haxey Cler ?????? ??? 55 (or 35?) et Sara Parker (or Barker?) de ??? ?????? ??? 20 pe Haxey Wroote Gainsburgh St Martins Lincoln

Shona
23-10-13, 18:36
I'm not v good at these things, but the penultimate line looks like:

'Haxey, Wroot & Gainsburgh'

Haxey and Wroot are two villages in North Lincolnshire, quite close to Gainsborough.

kiterunner
23-10-13, 18:43
I want that word on lines 2 and 4 to be Statis, which could be condition (status) or perhaps place, but the first letter is nothing like the first letter of Sara and St. Are there any more occurrences of that letter in the inventory, Elizabeth?

kiterunner
23-10-13, 18:45
Oh, could it mean "status single"? Is it the marriage of Joseph Hoole to Sara Parker (or Barker), both single, he is 35, clerk, of Haxey, she is 20, of Haxey Wroote, and they got married at St Martin's, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire?

Shona
23-10-13, 18:50
Don't know of a St Martin's in Gainsborough, Haxey or Wroot, but there is one in Lincoln.

kiterunner
23-10-13, 18:53
GENUKI says that Gainsborough's church is All Saints, so it must say Haxey, Wroote, Gainsburgh, St Martin's Lincoln. I'm not sure why though!

ElizabethHerts
23-10-13, 18:54
Thanks, Kate and Shona.
Kate, I had what you have, so that's a relief.

The problem is that this really seems to have nothing to do with the inventory!
This is in different writing.

The inventory is for Sara(h) Gawthorpe of Hemswell. The date is 1722.

The title of the inventory "Invie Sare Gawthorpe de Hemsewell 1722" is on one side and on the other and upside down in relation to it is the text I reproduced.

The men charged with the inventory are Francis Toyne, John Toyne and Francis Toyne junior. Sarah's first husband was a John Toyne. The John Toyne here is probably her son.

kiterunner
23-10-13, 19:11
Could the list of places be the churches where the licence would allow them to marry?

Phoenix
23-10-13, 19:16
Eadem is of the same

Aetatis suo means of their age, ie aged. (the letters are elided)

Witnesses identify themselves by name, where they live, and their age, so I assume they are witnesses of some kind. Do you have any other examples of this? There are sometimes overseers of wills as well as executors.

Phoenix
23-10-13, 19:18
Could the list of places be the churches where the licence would allow them to marry?

It would make much more sense if it were details of a couple planning to marry. I wonder if it is simply rough notes copied on the nearest convenient scrap of paper.

ElizabethHerts
23-10-13, 19:28
How odd. None of these names have appeared before in relation to Sarah or her husband George. The entry appears to be on the same piece of paper as the title of the will, with the paper folded in three.

Phoenix
23-10-13, 19:33
I can't post the image as I can't remember exactly what I signed when I took the photo, but I've got an example of a legal document which has had the relevant names crossed out and others substituted: once the original had served its purpose it was then used as a rough copy which would then be patiently copied by the law writer. (Thank goodness for computers!)

ElizabethHerts
23-10-13, 19:34
On FMP.
Joseph Hoole married Sarah Barker on 4 October 1722 at Gainsborough. Both from Haxey.