PDA

View Full Version : FMP help please

Durham Lady
20-10-13, 17:25
Francis senior was born Devonshire but I can't make out where, neither can FMP transcriber. Any help or ideas appreciated :) 1891 census

Piece: 4031 Folio: 34 Page: 4 Registration District: Leyburn Civil Parish: Preston under Scar Municipal Borough: Address: Preston Under Scar, Preston Under Scar County: Yorkshire (North Riding)

kiterunner
20-10-13, 17:33
It looks like Commarton or Commaston but there doesn't seem to be such a place. I'm wondering it it is supposed to be Combe Martin?

kiterunner
20-10-13, 17:35
And I see that Combe Martin was in the registration district where his birth was registered - Barnstaple.

kiterunner
20-10-13, 17:53
On the 1861 census Francis Rumsam is age 9, born Combmartin Devon.

Durham Lady
20-10-13, 17:59
Thanks Kite, I was thinking the same thing myself after looking for his birth and the place does seem to be 2 words.

Durham Lady
20-10-13, 18:04
So much for grandson's mum saying her dad's family were all from Lancashire:d so far I've got them from Norfolk, Yorkshire and Devon as well as Lancs.
This all started because of Wallace HARTLEY's violin being sold for a fortune. He's my grandson's 4x great uncle. Grandson's mum decided on Friday she'd like a tree to find out all about the family but could I get it going.

Uncle John
20-10-13, 18:58
The mind boggles at a Yorkshire Dales enumerator trying to make sense of an unfamiliar placename spoken in a broad Devonian accent by someone who possibly didn't know how to spell it.

Phoenix
20-10-13, 19:04
I'm amazed it is so close to the original. My Norfolk rellie's birthplace of Hempstead is rendered by the Bradford enumerator as Armston.