PDA

View Full Version : Thompsons and Birch families of Buckinghamshire

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-13, 10:46
With great help from Glen, my Thompson ancestors have gone from only knowing that Elizabeth Thompson married George Ware at High Wycombe 15/9/1808 (George was a farmer), to fairly certain facts that Elizabeth THOMPSON was the daughter of James/Elizabeth and was baptised 17/6/1785 High Wycombe, with siblings James 1782, Johannah 1787. Kate also found John, baptised 14 Jan 1779 at Great Hampden, (FamilySearch).

Glen confirmed the marriage of James Thompson of Chepping Wycombe to Elizabeth Birch on 12 May 1778 at Great Hampden (District of Wycombe), Buckinghamshire otp Lic

Recently I was looking at a Public tree on Ancestry and as well as the above 4 children, there is a Henry born 1780, but no data to support it. The oldest child John born 1779 is married to a Patty Griffiths and in the 1841 census he is an Inn keeper living at Chepping Wycombe. This tree has the marriage of James to Elizabeth Birch with birth James C1751 at Little Hampden and Elizabeth C1759 with no supporting data. The parents of James are given as William Thompson and Margaret Ensworth who married at Hughenden in 1742. Son William C1743, then big gap to James in C1751. Deaths of William Sen in 1759 and Margaret in 1800 at Little Hampden.

On a web query it was stated the Bucks Posse Comitatus census of 1798 showed James THOMPSON living in Wycombe, a carpenter. (no will found)

I then decided to have another look at the wills and found William Thompson of Little Hampden, Husbandman 1759, (which would tie in with the Ancestry tree); Elizabeth’s brother John (victualler) Chepping Wycombe 1841; James farmer 1847 of Hampden, who is I presume Elizabeth Ware’s brother James; also an Elizabeth Thompson Little Hampden 1851.

There are 50 odd wills for Birch, but I don’t have anything concrete on Elizabeth. The Ancestry birth date of 1759 I think comes from the baptism 8/7/1759 at Great Missenden parents William and Ann; but there is also Elizabeth baptised at Turweston 19/8/1750 parents Richard and Jane; and at Lee 23/2/1751 parents Benjamin & Mary.

I feel the next step is to buy at least the will of William Thompson 1759. Thoughts please? Julie

Phoenix
12-10-13, 12:40
Does the marriage allegation or bond survive? I would look for that (and any others for the family) as they might provide ages/occupations/bondsmen-who-might-be-family etc.

How much does that will cost? Having spent a day at the Norfolk Record Office frantically scrolling through wills on my list of references, it would almost certainly be cheaper to buy, even if it's the wrong one, than waste precious time when you're next over here.

Shona
12-10-13, 13:46
You could send a message to the tree owners to ask where they got the info.

Also, have you seen this?

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_parish2&task=display&rec=73&tab=registers&Itemid=182

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-13, 21:55
Thanks Phoenix and Shona, when I am fully awake, I will look further into your suggestions.
Phoenix I have never looked for Marriage allegations.
I visited the Bucks RO with Glen and Liza and found a lady who was a member of the BFHS who guided us to wills that I was able to photograph. Glen has been amazing slogging through records of my Bucks ancestors. It is certainly time consuming.
I have also purchased Bucks wills online, but it is some time ago and I can't remember whether they posted them to me or whether they were online.
I was looking at Ancestry at the library so I can't contact the tree owner Shona. It is one to remember when I pay for a sub. That is very interesting about the records of Buckfhs I will certainly look into it.
Thank you both. Julie

Oakum Picker
12-10-13, 23:30
You must be able to see me blushing from there. I'm not sure what Shona was pointing out but it's the BFHS database that I look at. I don't know when I shall be in next but send me a list of BMBs, wills & anything else & I'll check them out. I can take down the gist of the wills & then you can decide if you want them or not.

Phoenix
12-10-13, 23:49
Julie

Family Search has marriage allegations for Norfolk online. It's a wonderful resource - or would be if they were indexed or in alpha or chronological order. I've just viewed 747 images without finding what I wanted. But heaps of places have published volumes with the details.

tenterfieldjulie
13-10-13, 02:12
Glen, You are amazing what you have found for me already at Bcks, so I hesitate to ask you to look for more. However as you have volunteered !!!.... I'll send you my sort of list lol and hope it makes sense!!
Phoenix, Norfolk RO is on my bucket list for Peter's convict ancestress.. maybe I might get lucky but I doubt it .. however a visit to Norfolk would be lovely and I have pencilled it in for next year too. Julie

tenterfieldjulie
14-10-13, 09:32
Glen, I've sent you a cobbled together summary - hope it makes sense.
When you next visit the RO it would be great if you could peruse the wills I mentioned. Many thanks. Julie