PDA

View Full Version : Removal of graves/stones from disused/closed burial grounds - Deceased On Line

ElizabethHerts
10-10-13, 20:29
Exciting news for some!

Removal of graves and tombstones from disused and closed burial grounds and cemeteries.

Deceased Online has undertaken various scanning and digitization projects within TNA's offices at Kew in Southwest London and is adding them, over a period of time, to the website enabling far easier access for researchers.

This collection from TNA (reference RG37) comprises a total of approximately 175,000 records from over 200 cemeteries across many parts of England and Wales. The records are digital scans of original transcriptions from local authorities and the Church Commissioners relating to burial ground removals. The list records each site by location and title, followed by the years covered by inscription on the tombs and gravestones. The detail of each record varies in content and range.

The burials recorded in the transcriptions date back to 17th Century although most are from the 19th and early 20th Centuries.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

There is a long list of what's available.

Lindsay
10-10-13, 20:34
Ooh, thanks for posting this - I can see several places that might be of interest...

Phoenix
11-10-13, 13:00
I've read the list, but can't actually tell what is online and what is in the pipeline. I know I had people in Mile End in Portsmouth and they did have memorials, but nothing is coming up.

ElizabethHerts
11-10-13, 17:58
I've read the list, but can't actually tell what is online and what is in the pipeline. I know I had people in Mile End in Portsmouth and they did have memorials, but nothing is coming up.

Same here, Phoenix.

Phoenix
11-10-13, 19:27
What I don't quite understand is why TNA have the information in the first place. The site was apparently cleared to make way for a heliport and, as I understand it, monuments were hastily recorded by a local group. The original records for the burials are held at Portsmouth.