John Thomson, son, scholar, b Saddell
Alexander Thomson, son, scholar, b Tarbert
Charles Thomson, son, scholar, b S Knapdale
Margaret Thomson, dau, scholar, b S Knapdale
James Thomson, son, b Kilcalmonell
Adelaide McMillan, domestic servant, 23, b Killean
Charles McMillan, relative, sawyer (wood), b Killean
Janet Glenie, visitor, b Skipness

Also trying to find out if Catherine McKinlay who married Charles McMillan was married before she got hitched to him.

Catherine was the daughter of Duncan McKinlay and Mary McPherson, but many of the women in this part of the world used their maiden names a lot even if they were married or widowed.

kiterunner
10-10-13, 17:26
Don't the children have ages on the 1861 census, Shona? It might be easier to look for them with rough dates of birth.

Edit - never mind, I realise they aren't the same children now! It was the first two having the same names (more or less) that made me think they were...

kiterunner
10-10-13, 17:30
Also trying to find out if Catherine McKinlay who married Charles McMillan was married before she got hitched to him.

Presumably the marriage cert would tell you that? Or do you want to find out without using up credits?

Shona
10-10-13, 17:31
Sorry, forgot to type them in.

Think I've found them, though. Ancestry has them as Charles and Belly Millan!

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1851scotland&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=charles&gsfn_x=NN&gsln=millan&gsln_x=NN&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=fpy&cp=11&pcat=35&fh=0&h=1346823&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

Shona
10-10-13, 17:33
Presumably the marriage cert would tell you that? Or do you want to find out without using up credits?

You got it!

kiterunner
10-10-13, 18:11
On the 1871 census Catherine is 50, according to ancestry. Birthplace Killean, Argyllshire. There is a Catherine Mckenley age 35 in Killean in 1861 (ancestry's transcription), surname is McKinley on FMP but even FMP doesn't show her marital status, which suggests it wasn't filled in.

kiterunner
10-10-13, 18:15
And there is a Cathrine McKinlay age 27 in 1851, unmarried crofter born Killean, with a niece Mary McKinlay age 13 born Kilcalmonell. Of course Catherine could have got married between 1851 and 1864 (if that's the right Catherine.)

kiterunner
10-10-13, 18:19
I can't find a likely previous marriage for her, though.

Shona
10-10-13, 19:00
Thanks - nor can I.

Interesting to see the niece born in Kilcalmonell parish. I'm sure that's where Catherine McKinlay married Charles McMillan.

Catherine McMillan's death cert was signed by a step-daughter (my great-grandfather's niece).

Great-grandfather's mother was Mary McKinlay - also born in Killean parish. Probably related in some way.