PDA

View Full Version : TNA question

Merry
08-10-13, 19:47
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Where do I go on their website if I want to use what used to be called "The Catalogue"?

ElizabethHerts
08-10-13, 19:58
Here you are, Merry. It's called Discovery now:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI

Merry
08-10-13, 22:14
Oh, thanks Elizabeth, I thought that was the replacement for ....erm....whatever they used to call the section about online records (things you could download).

How do I search for army officers papers? I used to use The Catalogue and put in their surname and initials and WO for the collection ref. I can't see where I can do that on the new system :o:o

annswabey
08-10-13, 22:21
You can put just the surname in the "exact" - on Advanced search, then put in WO339 or WO374 in the ref to search. They've started to index, but by no means complete, so it's worth putting in first christian name and suurname, just in case it's been indexed.

You can also download the index to WO339 by going to Digital Microfilm in the "online records" section - the ref is WO338 and you need to download the appropriate alphabetical index for the name you're looking for. If you find him, take a note of the "long number" and search for a man of that surname, with that number, in WO339.

And they say it's not complicated!!

Merry
08-10-13, 22:32
lol Thanks Ann - I'll have a go at that in the morning. Maybe I'll try finding the ones I already have, as I know how the were indexed when I first found them a few years back. Wish me luck!!

Olde Crone
08-10-13, 23:03
I feel a lot better now I know that Merry finds TNA difficult too!

OC

Merry
09-10-13, 05:49
OC - I used to use their catalogue a lot before they changed to Discovery etc. Then I survived by only using Discovery for the basic stuff they offer you, like PCC wills, and finding other things by googling!!

Merry
09-10-13, 05:59
Ann - thankyou! That worked AND I see they have changed the index entry for my great-uncle so his name is now spelled correctly!

annswabey
09-10-13, 12:08
Oh good, Merry! It was almost as difficult to explain, as it is to actually do....

Merry
09-10-13, 12:18
lol! Thanks again Ann. :)