PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery puzzle

Shona
04-10-13, 19:36
Magdeline Montgomery was my 6 x great-grandmother (I've posted the details of her daughter Jean Gilmour in this weeks 5x thread).

MM married William Gilmour on 19 April 1748 in Govan, Glasgow.

An unsourced Ancestry tree says that MM was born in Norway and married William Gilmour when she was 12. Today I found a baptism of a Magdalen Montgumrie on 23 May 1728 in Campbeltown, Argyll. Parents are Mathew Montgumrie and Jean Turner. This seems more likely to me than Norway!

Mathew Montgumrie and Jean Turner had the following children in addition to Magdalen:

Jean, bpt 24 Dec 1722, Irvine, Ayrshire,
Alexander, bpt 5 March 1725, Rothesay, Bute *
Mathew, bpt 22 June 1726, Campbeltown
Grizel, bpt 10 May 1730, Campbeltown

* Parents named as Mathew Montgomery and Jean Nc Turner - Nc means 'daughter of'

Ayrshire and Campbeltown? Bells stated ringing.

I found what I was looking for in a book, 'Kintyre in the 17th Century' (first published in 1948). Of the original Montgomery planter in Campbeltown, it states:

'CAPTAIN PATRICK MONTGOMERIE, who received a tack of the forfeited lands of the McEachrans of Kilellan, was the laird of Blackhouse in the parish of Largs [Ayrshire] to which estate he succeeded in 1657. His father John Montgomerie, was killed at the battle of Largs in 1650. Patrick Montgomerie's wife was Margaret Carse of Glasgow.

'A number of Lowland Montgomeries were in Kintyre during the succeeding two centuries, but whether they have any connection with the above can not be said.

'The Kilellan estate was restored to Colin McEachran in 1659.'

I'm now wondering if my Montgomery family are connected to the Lowland Montgomeries who were sent to 'plant' Campbeltown between 1650 to 1660.

The earliest baptism of a Montgomery in Campbeltown that I've found so far is in 1661 - Jenat, born to Henry Montgomery and Helen Gib.

On top of this, I wonder if Captain Patrick Montgomery, Laird of Blackhouse, Largs, Ayrshire, is related to Hugh Montgomery, Laird of Braidstone, Beith, Ayrshire, who was one of the founders of the 1606 Scottish plantation of Co Down in Ulster.

Anyone fancy joining the dots in these puzzles?

kiterunner
04-10-13, 22:29
Have you looked for wills etc on Scotland's People, Shona? My Scottish geography isn't really good enough to know which place names that come up are likely to be connected.

Merry
05-10-13, 06:44
.......and my knowledge of Scottish geography is non-existent, even if my surname is Montgomery!!

Shona
05-10-13, 17:07
This website has some info on the Montgomeries who were responsible for the 1606 Ulster plantation - helpful little map, too.

http://www.hamiltonmontgomery1606.com/siteFiles/resources/pdf/H&M%2520Ulster%2520Scot%25202%2520AW%2520HR.pdf