PDA

View Full Version : Alexis Soyer mentioned on Countryfile last night

Ann from Sussex
30-09-13, 16:11
Did anyone see Countryfile last night where Matt Baker was talking to an army cook about the army cooking stove invented by Alexis Soyer? Soyer was a French chef working in London who was asked to invent a portable gas stove to enable meals to be cooked by troops in the field during the Crimean War. The person he asked to make the stoves was my 1st cousin 4 times removed, Thomas Henry Phillips born in Brighton, Sussex in about 1830. Thomas was a gas engineer with his own business in London at the time of the Crimean War and he spent time in the Crimea servicing the stoves he had built. I had never heard of Alexis Soyer until I came across one of Thomas's sons during my research who had the odd (to me at the time) name of Alexis Soyer Phillips. I then made contact with Thomas's gt gt grandson who told me the story of Thomas's business connection with Soyer and the friendship between the two which made Thomas name a son born during the war after Soyer. It was interesting to me to actually see one of the stoves in action on Countryfile last night.

marquette
30-09-13, 21:30
How wonderful - did you know that it would be on, or were you just watching ?

Guinevere
01-10-13, 07:02
I saw that! I love Countryfile.

Ann from Sussex
01-10-13, 16:40
How wonderful - did you know that it would be on, or were you just watching ?

No, I had no idea, it's just a programme I watch every week. I certainly sat up straighter when I heard them mention Soyer!

I saw that! I love Countryfile.

Me too, it's one of my "must watch" programmes every week.

Gibbolake
21-11-18, 15:59
My first post, so hello to everyone.
Alexis Soyer Phillips was my great great grandfather, sadly I missed the Countryfile programme.

Kit
23-11-18, 05:02
Is there catchup tv in the UK? You might still be able to watch it.

kiterunner
23-11-18, 09:03
I don't think it would still be available after 5 years, though, Toni.

Gibbolake
23-11-18, 15:53
Thank you, I managed to find the part about Alexis Soyer and the stove on Youtube ?

Kit
06-12-18, 08:47
I don't think it would still be available after 5 years, though, Toni.

oops. I didn't realise the original post was that old. :d:d