PDA

View Full Version : Devon wills - Origins.net

ElizabethHerts
28-09-13, 07:07
The Devon Wills Project 1312-1891 fully searchable for FREE online
This index has been created as a combined project by Origins.net and the Devon Wills Project to compile a consolidated index of pre-1858 Devon wills, administrations, inventories, etc.
Search the collection for FREE
Many Devon probate records were destroyed by enemy action, when the Probate Registry was destroyed in the bombing during the Exeter Blitz in 1942. Thus the aim of this index is to create a finding-aid to enable the researcher to determine what probate materials were originally recorded and most importantly what documents have survived and where they can be located.

The current index includes over 132,540 records of probate documents compiled from the following sources. Updates to this collection will follow soon.

Archdeaconry Court of Barnstaple Devon Wills and Administrations Index 1563-1858
Calendar of Devon and Cornwall Wills and Administrations, proved in the court of the Principal Registry of the Bishop of Exeter, 1559-1799, and of Devon only, proved in the Court of the Archdeaconry of Exeter, 1540-1799 (BRS Vol. 35)
Calendar of Devon and Cornwall Wills and Administrations, proved in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Exeter, 1532-1800 (BRS Vol. 46)

Phoenix
28-09-13, 18:53
The trouble is, I just want to weep. My ancestors' wills were proved mainly in the Archdeaconry of Totnes, for which even calendars do not appear to survive. I know they did make wills. I know these would have helped me disentangle the four Adams families I have in a single Devon parish. I was just born seventy years too late.

ElizabethHerts
28-09-13, 19:49
Phoenix, I often wonder if there are transcriptions of some of these perished wills lying about, unforgotten, in attics and boxes.

My earliest known Quintrell ancestor's will was proved in 1614, but is now lost. I bet someone transcribed it before WWII, and the document is probably lurking somewhere.

Phoenix, I do share your frustration. However, I am lucky that I have many surviving Cornish wills.