PDA

View Full Version : Middle names - linking my branches together !!

marquette
26-09-13, 23:04
Like Merry, I have been having a sort-out. I started going through my folders of certificates, census records and emails and bits and pieces to sort them back into some kind of order.

When I looked at 4g grandma Mary Dawson in the 1841 census, living with Sarah Christie and her children in Princess-street, Rotherhithe Surrey, I wondered who the Christies were.

A quick check of the St Mary Rotherhithe records showed that George (b1829) and Ann (b1833) Christie were the children of William Christie and Sarah Susannah Dawson. William and Sarah Susannah had married in 1811 - he was a master mariner and that explains the long gaps between his children.

Now, I did not have Sarah Susannah in my Dawson family, but found her baptised in St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey, father Joseph a mast maker in 1789, fitting nicely as the first child of Joseph and Mary Dawson who then baptised all the rest their flock at St Mary Rotherhithe.

William and Sarah Susannah also had a son John Dawson Christie. The trail of this little family also explained why my first cousin 3 times removed, born in 1883 in Newcastle NSW was called George Christie Dawson !

In 1876, John Dawson Christie named his daughter Matilda Bright Christie (Bright was the middle name of George Christie Dawson's mother, Abigail Bright Cates). Ann Christie Coper also gave one of her children the middle name Bright !

This Dawson family has been so interesting to track down, I thought I had them all, now I have a whole new group to track through the census and look for more links !

Mary Dawson had two sons and at least 3 grandchildren who came out to Australia and New Zealand. They have links to the Brazill, White and Rutter families, but who knows where the Christies will lead me !!!

I am so excited to have more do, that the tidying up the folders has been put aside again.

Diane

marquette
27-09-13, 01:05
More and more interesting !

I was following up the death of William Christie. It occurred in New Zealand in Nov 1836. The mate Ridout took over command of the whaler Harriet , but a news report of Dec 1837 details how she was lost on Providence Reef in the Missionary Islands. Many of the crew survived including Thomas Ridout, J.Christie and William McClatchie (Jane McLatchie married Joseph Hammett Dawson).

Lots of follow up !!

Di

Merry
27-09-13, 06:04
lol! Sounds like you are having a great time!!

I am so excited to have more do, that the tidying up the folders has been put aside again.

I have really been trying not to let that happen, but it's almost impossible!!

marquette
27-09-13, 23:46
I do wish they would just stick to Rotherhithe though - marriages in Deptford, Lee and St Dunstan in the East as well as Bermondsey make it difficult to follow them !

But its such fun, and then when you look in the newspapers and find all sorts of interesting news, I just cannot stop !

Phoenix
27-09-13, 23:52
At least they are not moving far. There was a tunnel under the Thames and Bermondsey & Deptford are just a step away. Mariners often seem to use St Alphege, Greenwich too. (My favourite local saint. Much nicer than the chilly St Paulinus. Beaten to death with beef bones at a feast, according to legend.)

Asa
29-09-13, 08:27
I keep trying to get on top of things but then more records appear online and I'm sidetracked and I have another load of stuff written down but not added to any online tree :-)

Evelyn
19-10-13, 21:09
Like Merry, I have been having a sort-out. I started going through my folders of certificates, census records and emails and bits and pieces to sort them back into some kind of order.

When I looked at 4g grandma Mary Dawson in the 1841 census, living with Sarah Christie and her children in Princess-street, Rotherhithe Surrey, I wondered who the Christies were.

A quick check of the St Mary Rotherhithe records showed that George (b1829) and Ann (b1833) Christie were the children of William Christie and Sarah Susannah Dawson. William and Sarah Susannah had married in 1811 - he was a master mariner and that explains the long gaps between his children.

Now, I did not have Sarah Susannah in my Dawson family, but found her baptised in St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey, father Joseph a mast maker in 1789, fitting nicely as the first child of Joseph and Mary Dawson who then baptised all the rest their flock at St Mary Rotherhithe.

William and Sarah Susannah also had a son John Dawson Christie. The trail of this little family also explained why my first cousin 3 times removed, born in 1883 in Newcastle NSW was called George Christie Dawson !

In 1876, John Dawson Christie named his daughter Matilda Bright Christie (Bright was the middle name of George Christie Dawson's mother, Abigail Bright Cates). Ann Christie Coper also gave one of her children the middle name Bright !

This Dawson family has been so interesting to track down, I thought I had them all, now I have a whole new group to track through the census and look for more links !

Mary Dawson had two sons and at least 3 grandchildren who came out to Australia and New Zealand. They have links to the Brazill, White and Rutter families, but who knows where the Christies will lead me !!!

Diane
Hi Marquette
I also have an interest in this family, my 3 ggrandad was the William McClatchie you mentioned, brother of Clara Jane, and so I am really interested in what info we can share on the the Dawson McClatchie an Christie families.

tenterfieldjulie
20-10-13, 01:58
Hi Evelyn, Welcome to the forum .. Di will be really pleased to make contact with you... she'll never get back to sorting her folders lol .. Julie

marquette
20-10-13, 08:37
Hi Evelyn

Welcome to the Forum and I am happy to share what I know about the families. Although I don't know much about the McLatchies, but Joseph and Jane Clara migrated to Hobart, where the family was quite well known. Two of their sons moved on to New Zealand.

My 3x great grandfather was George Dawson, Joseph's older brother. He stayed in Rotherhithe, but three of his children came to NSW and settled in the Hunter Valley.

I could invite you to view my ancestry tree if you are interested.

Di

Evelyn
21-10-13, 00:01
Hi Di,
Well I have followed the Dawson, McClatchie, Christie and Kelseys around as they are all intermarried. William McClatchie came to New Zealand. He went to sea about age 13 with William Christie and was with him on William's ill fated trip on the new Harriet. John Dawson Christie was one of the apprentices on the ship aged 14, after seeing his father die and then being shipwrecked I guess he never went to sea again, after being rescued, as he remained in England.
And thank you I would be interested to see your tree.

marquette
21-10-13, 09:05
Hi Evelyn

I have followed the Dawsons, Brazills and Whites and Rutters, and just discovered the Chrisities, so we probably have a lot to share.I have sent a pm re ancestry.

Di

Evelyn
22-10-13, 06:53
Hi Di
Just checking to make sure I sent my email in your pm correctly
Evelyn