PDA

View Full Version : Italian translation help, please

Sue from Southend
26-09-13, 07:40
I've found this death record on the new UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers on Ancestry and need a little help in understanding it. I've got the gist (I think) but I'm particularly interested the name Brunetti that appears near the beginning and what I think is the name of the father, hopefully it's an Italian version of Joshua otherwise Eliza had been playing away!

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1993/41814_b157222-00631/104064?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk% 2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dUKForeignVitals%26rank%3d1%26 new%3d1%26so%3d3%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dms_r _db%26gsfn%3dagnes%26gsln%3dwebster%26msbdy%3d1873 %26uidh%3dzs8&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

All help gratefully received!

ElizabethHerts
26-09-13, 08:11
Copy of the death certificate of ...
registered at no. 410 , first part of the relative registry of the year 1896

The year eighteen ninety-six on the third of July
at eleven fourty-five am in the "Casa Comunale" - some type of municipal building

Before me, Luigi M..., Secretary, representative of the Mayor with
deed/document twenty-second April eighteen ninety-four
Registrar of the Commune of Cagliari , there appeared Brunetti
Guilio, aged thirty-five years, employee, residing
at Labillonis, and Webster Federico, twenty years old,
student, residing at Cagliari, who declared to me
that at

tbc on phone

ElizabethHerts
26-09-13, 08:42
that at five past eight pm today
in the house located in Via Cevionallazione at number one ,
died Webster Eduardo Tomaso, aged twenty-four years,
student, residing at Cagliari, born
in Cagliari, child of Giome manger of the ?
resident of Cagliari, and Gristoh Eliza resident
of Cagliari

Witnesses to this document are Ludola? Giovanni
aged thirty-three years, clerk, and Mojsor?? Francesco
aged fifty-eight, pensioner, both resident in

the parents of the deceased were born in London

ElizabethHerts
26-09-13, 08:44
it continues over the page - will be back
Am sitting here with a towel wrapped round me and need to dry my hair and get dressed!

tenterfieldjulie
26-09-13, 08:45
I hope you are warm Liza ..

ElizabethHerts
26-09-13, 09:10
I hope you are warm Liza ..

Not too bad - it's a lovely sunny day here after the morning fog of the last few days. (Will be in touch, Julie.) Off to coffee with my Italian group soon.

second page:
in the Commune. Having read the present document to all those present
the ? (odd word - would expect it to be witnesses. Almost looks like doctors) signed it.

Giulio Brunetti
Webster Frederico
(won't give the others in case I transcribe their names incorrectly)

It is certified that this document is a true copy of the original

Cagliari, 3rd July 1896
The Registrar

I haven't got time to look at the hand-written part as heading out, Sue.

Mary might look at it if she's around.

Sue from Southend
26-09-13, 10:01
Thank you, Liza! I wouldn't have minded if you had got dressed first! But I suppose it got you in the mood for your Italian group :)

Joshua, the father, was something to do with the gas industry so I think he is described as Director of Gas!

It's lovely to have their address too. And the Guilio Brunetti may have married one of the Webster daughters as Joshua and Eliza are on the 1911 census with a grandaughter surname Brunetti. I didn't have a possible father's name until now.

I remember my Grandmother talking about her Italian cousins and I have several early postcards from Sardinia and a doll in Sardinian national costume. Took the doll to the antiques road show once and Bunny Campione was quite dismissive of her. We still love her though (the doll not, Bunny):d

Mary from Italy
26-09-13, 10:54
Working at the moment - I'll have a look at the document later.

Mary from Italy
26-09-13, 19:37
Liza's translation is very good; I've just made a few minor changes, and switched around the names to put the surname last (Italians mostly put it first), so it's easier to read.

Copy of the death certificate of Edoardo Tomaso Webster
registered at no. 410 , first part of the corresponding registry of the year 1896

The year eighteen ninety-six on the third of July at eleven forty-five a.m. in the Registry Office

Before me, Luigi Medda, Secretary, appointed by the Mayor by deed/document dated twenty-second April eighteen eighty-four as Registrar of the Municipality of Cagliari, there appeared
Guilio Brunetti, aged thirty-five years, clerk, residing at Pabillonis, and Federico Webster, twenty years old, student, residing at Cagliari, who declared to me that at that at five past eight pm today in the house located in Via Circonvallazione number one, died Edoardo Tomaso Webster, aged twenty-four years, student, residing at Cagliari, born in Cagliari, child of Giosuè, gas director, resident of Cagliari, and Elisa Gristoh, resident of Cagliari

Witnesses to this document are Giovanni Puddu aged thirty-three years, scribe, and Francesco Mossa? aged fifty-eight, pensioner, both resident in this

The parents of the deceased were born in London

second page:

municipality. Having read the present document to all those present they signed it, as did I (Lisa, it says i medesimi l'hanno meco sottoscritto).

Giulio Brunetti
Federico Webster
Giovanni Puddu, witness
Francesco Mossa ditto?
L Medda

It is certified that this document is a true copy of the original

Cagliari, 3rd July 1896
The Registrar

The handwritten part below is just the authentication of the signatures.

Third page:

English citizen. District of London.

The rubber stamps are just red tape; I can translate them if you like, but they're not very interesting.

Not sure what the difference between an impiegato and a scrivano would be; an impiegato is definitely a clerk, even nowadays, and I think a scrivano would be a lower-level clerk or copyist.

Giosuè is Italian for Joshua. I assume the English forms of the other names are obvious, but if not, I'll translate them.

Sue from Southend
26-09-13, 20:38
Thank you very much for that Mary. I'm glad to know Joshua was the father of Edward! It's lovely to see the original records from another country - I think I'm getting a bit blase about UK original images:o

If Ancestry ever get the rest of the Sardinian records on line I may asking for more help!

ElizabethHerts
26-09-13, 20:58
I'm glad I didn't make too much of a hash of it - I've never attempted anything similar before. Sue, you are lucky having family from such an exotic location.

Mary from Italy
26-09-13, 21:00
They have funny names in Sardinia - they tend to end in "u" rather than "o" like in Italy.

ElizabethHerts
26-09-13, 21:05
They have funny names in Sardinia - they tend to end in "u" rather than "o" like in Italy.

We have noticed that before when we have been there (about four/five times now).

Sue from Southend
26-09-13, 21:22
I keep saying that I want to go to Sardinia to trawl the cemetery and the phone books!
Although Joshua and Eliza came back to London when he retired at least one of their daughters married a local and I do wonder if there are any cousins still there.

Mary from Italy
26-09-13, 22:25
You can trawl the phone books here:

http://www.paginebianche.it/

Sue from Southend
27-09-13, 18:44
That's interesting Mary. I've found four Brunettis in Cagliari. Not sure what to do with that now I've found it though :cool: Not surprisingly there are no Websters there now :d

Thanks for the link

Mary from Italy
27-09-13, 21:36
Familysearch are transcribing Italian records, but it's going to be a long job.