PDA

View Full Version : Death in 1788

geniebug
24-09-13, 21:37
We have a Death cert for Abraham Gorange (sic) in 1788, address given as
Thackums Ct Nt and there appears to be a column for £ s.d. Gorange has 0 0 0 next to his name – does that mean he was a pauper?

Some of the entries show TF5¾. Some of NG6, some Nt or NOG Prs7 – does that mean anything?

Is there such a place as Thackums Ct?

kiterunner
24-09-13, 21:52
Do you want to give us a clue as to whereabouts this is, Jood? And is there any way you could scan it in or take a photo of it and post it up?

geniebug
24-09-13, 22:00
Yes I can scan it - didn't think I was allowed to post scans here lol
There are no headings on the Cert, but it was London, I'd think.

kiterunner
24-09-13, 22:15
There is a listing for "Thackum's Court in Vine Street by Shandos Street" in a book on Google Books called Remarks on London: Being an Exact Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, Borough of Southwark, and the Suburbs and Liberties Contiguous to Them, ... By W. Stow. It says it was published in 1722.

kiterunner
24-09-13, 22:18
Also the date at the top of the page you posted is 1776, not 1788. It looks as though the abbreviations and sums of money will be to do with burial / funeral requirements, but I haven't managed to figure out exactly what they mean yet. I think the letters and numbers on the left could be the burial plots?

kiterunner
24-09-13, 22:22
The burial is on FamilySearch - Abraham Gorange, 7 Aug 1776, St Martin in the Fields, Westminster. I guess that explains why I can't find it on ancestry!

(Also we now have an answer to those people who claim there is no word to rhyme with "orange"!)

kiterunner
24-09-13, 22:24
Ah, the letters and numbers on the left are not plots but C - child, M - man, and W- woman, followed by their age.

geniebug
24-09-13, 22:26
But as far as those odd words go (TF5¾. NG6, Nt or NOG Prs7) do you know what they mean?

Sorry about Gorange rhyming with Orange lol - it is their transcription - the name is actually Gorringe (or later to become Goring)

kiterunner
24-09-13, 22:29
I'm still trying to figure out what the abbreviations mean, Jood. Wondering if Prs is prayers? Or pall-bearers?

geniebug
24-09-13, 22:38
Sorry about the typo. Yes, I figured it was c for child m m for male, w for woman and their ages.

Lot of young deaths too. Gorange's death was pretty horrific (putrid fever).

Unfortunately the transcription was sent without the headings at top of page.

kiterunner
24-09-13, 22:44
I have to go to bed in a minute, but just looking at some similar pages for a different church, around the same time, they had codes for Dues to be paid, SD (= single duty or standard duty?), ND (= no duty) and DD (= double duty?) and codes for the bells such as LB1, GB2, so I wonder whether some of those abbreviations on your image could be something similar.

geniebug
24-09-13, 22:55
Sounds feasible Kate - don't worry about it your tonight tho, I am off out to a meeting soon anyway.

If it helps, Gorringe did have a book shop in May Street, (London) so he must have had a little standing.