PDA

View Full Version : London Wills - pre 1858

Sue from Southend
24-09-13, 07:28
Apart from The National Archives and those found on Ancestry does anyone know if there are more London Wills tucked away somewhere - not necessarily on line? I have a couple of people who I would have expected to leave wills who don't appear to have done so.

Phoenix
24-09-13, 07:35
Bear in mind that TNA never digitalised the admons. There are heaps of administrations for which (I think) you still havr to wade through annual catalogues.

LMA had a database of wills not on Ancestry. Check to see if you can find a will for Humphrey Gregory Pridden. I found his will at TNA, but I don't think it was one of the courts that's been put online.

I imagine that somewhere as complex as London would have heaps of tiny courts, though the general pattern seems to be fewer wills in the early 1800s.

ElizabethHerts
24-09-13, 07:43
I found lots of Surrey ones under the LMA on Ancestry.

Phoenix
24-09-13, 07:51
LMA hold the later Surrey wills. I can't remember who previously held them. I suspect whoever lost the early BTs.

Chris in Sussex
24-09-13, 09:18
Westminster Wills are still with the Westminster Archives however FMP said, back in March 2012, that they planned to put them online over the coming months.....I am still waiting patiently!

Chris

Sue from Southend
24-09-13, 09:20
Thank you both.

The admons @ TNA, Phoenix, are they freely available to trawl through? I am planning a trip to Kew on Friday and could add that to my ever growing "to do" list:d

The two that I feel should exist would have been 1808 and 1829. With dates in mind it must make it easier (hopeful emoticon).

Sue from Southend
24-09-13, 09:22
Thanks Chris, I'd forgotten about Westminster! I'll join you in the queue at FMP!

kiterunner
24-09-13, 10:08
Don't forget to look in the Index to Death Duty Registers on FMP to see if they are listed in there - if so, then it will tell you which court etc. Unfortunately these are still not fully name indexed on FMP, so you have to trawl through page by page.

Sue from Southend
24-09-13, 10:16
Hmmm, maybe I will take advantage of that 20% discount FMP are offering me at the moment....