PDA

View Full Version : Is my logic correct?

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 13:30
Sarah Chambers was born c. 1795.

On the 1851 Census she is given as being 55. This is 30th March 1851.

1851 Census
HO107 piece 2374 folio 386 page 13
Baxtergate Whitby
Cristopher Seaman Head Mar 56 Shoemaker Wisbeach
Cambridgeshire (Northumberland crossed out)
Sarah Wife Mar 55 Birmingham
Adam Lamb Stepson U 19 Shoemaker Yorkshire Whitby

When she died her age is given as 56. This was on 6th October 1851.

Therefore her birthday is between the very end of March and the beginning of October, probably 1795.

Sarah Chambers was born in Birmingham and her father was Joseph Chambers, gunsmith. I know this from her second marriage.

So is it more likely that Sarah's parents are Joseph and Ann rather than Joseph and Margaret, as the earlier baptism wouldn't have given much time for her birth:

Name: Sarah Chambers
Baptism Date: 6 Apr 1795
Baptism Place: Birmingham, St Philip, Warwickshire, England
Father: Joseph Chambers
[Jospeh Chambers]
Mother: Margaret Chambers
Reference Number: DRO 25
Archive Roll: M142

Name: Sarah Chambers
Baptism Date: 22 Feb 1796
Baptism Place: Birmingham, St Philip, Warwickshire, England
Father: Joseph Chambers
Mother: Ann Chambers
Reference Number: DRO 25/3
Archive Roll: M135

kiterunner
18-09-13, 13:55
I don't think that ages on the census and on death registrations were very accurate in those days, Elizabeth; also babies were often baptised when only a few days old. So I don't think you have enough information to choose which baptism is more likely to be hers. I wonder if there is any way to find out which of those Josephs was a gunsmith (hopefully not both!)

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 14:04
I'm really struggling to find Joseph Chambers, gunsmith. The trade directories aren't much help, and he could have well been working for someone else.

I suppose I could e-mail Birmingham archives to see if they have any information, but I think I contacted them before with no results.

There appear to only be two children from the Joseph/Margaret marriage, and she was a widow when she wed Joseph.

Her burial is on Ancestry - 20 May 1798.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/4961/40458_316949-00594/2647544?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk %2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3dBirminghamEarlyPa rish%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26g ss%3dangs-d%26gsfn%3dMargaret%26gsln%3dChambers%26msfng0%3dJ oseph%26msfns0%3dChambers%26uidh%3dxt1%26pcat%3d34 %26fh%3d10%26h%3d2647544%26recoff%3d9%2b10%2b38%26 ml_rpos%3d11&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Shona
18-09-13, 14:07
Would the names of children give any clues?

Merry
18-09-13, 14:13
Have you checked the burial records in case one baby died?

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 14:13
Also I need to find Edward Chambers, who was a witness to the marriage of Charles Lamb and Sarah Chambers in 1816.

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 14:16
Have you checked the burial records in case one baby died?

I've been looking at the Birmingham burial records today, Merry, and can't find any more.

I think OH and I went through all the Whitby ones some time ago when we were up there. This family had a really hard time after Charles died from cholera in 1832.

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 14:18
Would the names of children give any clues?

They don't appear to be very sentimental in their naming of children, Shona.
No Josephs, no Anns nor Margarets. However, they used William and Susanna, which were family names.

Shona
18-09-13, 16:38
Have you seen this? Found on a public tree on Ancestry. The tree has Sarah b in Whitby.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=dictnatbiogv1&h=3666&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t49758760_p13185189699_kpidz0q3d1318518969 9z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid

CHARLES LAMB b.1796 in Huntingdon Gunsmith

LONDON MEDICAL GAZETTE or JOURNAL OF PRACTICAL MEDICINE Vol.10

Mr Tweedie Saline Injection in Cholera

Pages 320,321 & 322

CASE 1 in which nearly a gallon was injected with temporary improvement - but ultimate failure. - Appearance on Dissection, and Remarks by Mr Tweedie.

CHARLES LAMB abt thirty-six, admitted into Abchurch Lane, Hospital, at 11.00am, Sunday June 3 rd 1832, from the “Dispatch”, Whitby sloop, now lying off Wool Quay, Custom-house.

This man is a publican and gun-smith at Whitby, which place he left last Tuesday week, as a passenger aboard the above vessel. He arrived in London eight days ago, and immediately went onshore, where (in the neighbourhood of Wapping) it appears he has been living in a most intemperate way, till, having spent all his money, he found a bed for the last two nights on board the vessel in which he came to London as a passenger. Last night he went to bed sober, about ten o'clock, having eaten a little bread and bacon for supper, and being in good spirits and in his accustomed health*. About midnight he got up to go to the privy, and a looseness that now commenced kept him awake till five o'clock, when he began to vomit. At seven, cramps ensued. At nine he was seen by Mr W Smith of Gracechurch Street, who found him pulse less, and, in his opinion past recovery. At 11 he arrived here, having had shortly before admission, a cordial and opiate draught. His state on admission is as follows:-

General aspects of features very much collapsed and congested – of a dull, leaden livid hue. The eyes deeply retracted, nose shrunk, lips livid and cold. Eyes half open and turned up; pupils natural; tongue covered with a yellow moist fur; temperature beneath it 79 0 . Hands lividly blue; pulse not countable; skin damp and inelastic; feet cold and partly livid. Voice very low; breathing 36. There has been a cessation of vomiting and purging since nine o'clock; from report they were plentiful, and like water. He has not urinated since five or six o'clock; complains of pain in the back. He is now suffering from cramps in the hands, legs, thighs and abdomen, and is urgently craving for cold water. He states, that early in the morning he felt a sensation of singing in the ears, and was very deaf. He has worn a flannel belt (without reference to Cholera) for many years.

11am Ordered warm bed, hot bottles to feet.

12 noon Has been much cramped, restless and very thirsty. He retains small sips of water. Sinipism has had no effect; removed. It is now determined, that, in consultation with Dr B Babington, that as the case appeared to promise an almost immediately fatal result, the plan of injecting into the circulation, as recommended and adopted in Edinburgh by Drs Latta, Lewins &c. should be practised.

Quarter past 1pm : The necessary apparatus being provided, we proceeded to the operation shortly after 1 o'clock, at which time the pulse at the wrist was scarcely perceptible; at the heart it beat 148 in the minute. Temperature under the tongue 84 0 ; Respiration 36; and just been cramped and was very restless. The median cephalic vein of the right arm was opened for insertion of the tube of the syringe and the following was the fluid for the injection, as advised by Dr Lewins &c.

Muriate of Soda; Carbon of Soda; Water 60 ounces temperature from 110 0 to 115 0

2pm After a very gradual of 22 ounces, respiration 30; pulse at wrist 120. Has just had cramp in the right hand.

Quarter past 2: The patient appeared much collapsed after 34 ounces had been injected, the following draught was given:

Brandy; Ammon. Carb Aquae calidae

This was instantly rejected, and after a brief pause, arising from the apprehension that he was about to die under our hands, the injection was again proceeded with very gradually.

3pm Fifty-five ounces have now been injected. His pulse is obviously stronger (120); voice firmer; countenance more lively. He expresses himself as feeling better, and is quite free from cramp. Has just passed a stool of alkaline property, fluid, and with floating flakes, and of a pale yellow hue.

Sir William Russell, who had been invited, now arrived, and not only approved of the measures that had been adopted, but was of opinion that the injection should be repeated if the patient lost any of the ground that had been gained. Sir William looked upon it otherwise as a hopeless case.

Half past 3pm . Another stool, like the last, but less in quantity and rather feculent in smell. Hands are warmer; pulse 120, weaker than half an hour ago. Respiration 36. Says he is better. Has taken, to quench his thirst, the following draught occasionally and is not restless.:

Acid Tartar – Sodae Carb – Aquae

Ten minutes to 4pm Pulse irregular and very weak – so indistinct as to not be counted at the wrist; between 120 and 130 at the heart. Breathing 42 – surface warm, but not moist; hands less warm than when last felt; voice husky; complains of thirst; countenance again more collapsed.

Rep.Injecto

Quarter to 5pm Fifty-four ounces have been injected. Pulse 120, stronger than at any previous period. Voice firmer, intellect very complete; he notices things all around him with much shrewdness, and looks greatly enlivened. Whilst the injection was proceeding he had a dejection, about a pint, coloured like dark urine, but he says he is sure there is no urine in it. It smells feculent. He has drank water and thin arrowroot from time to time, all of which he retains. There is a gentle dew on the forehead; breathing 42, very hurried. Whereas before the injection he was very restless, he has now turned very quietly on his side, and is composing himself to sleep.

Half past 5pm Pulse keeps up; perspiration over the body.

6pm Has been in profuse clammy sweat since half past five o'clock, and now complains of intolerable heat; tossing off the bed-clothes; pulse is very irregular, scarcely to be felt, ranging from 120 to 130; breathing 48; much oppressed; there is an unsettled manner about him, which, however does not amount to delirium: has just passed a stool similar to the last noticed, and about half a pint in bulk.

Half past 6pm He is now pulse less, and gasping for breath slowly, as if now dying. Though alone, with only nurses aid, I am about to inject again.

Quarter to 7pm Dead. He did not rally and died under the operation.

The report then goes on to describe the autopsy carried out 13 hours after death.

Cont...

Shona
18-09-13, 16:39
REMARKS

There were many singularities in the life and death of this patient. Before the first injection of fluid he was in a most restless condition, with cold sweat all over his body; and in such an extreme state of collapse and depression that there seemed to be no prospect other than an almost instant death. The injection rallied him; but even whilst this was in progress, at one period (quarter past 2pm) he appeared so nearly art iculo-mortis that we were about to desist; nevertheless we persisted, and he roused; the cold sweat completely ceasing. At the second injection, too, we thought that he was breathing his last; however, towards its termination, he became marvellously restored; his pulse and warmth rose; and his feelings were so happy that he was enabled, to our great delight, to make shrewd remarks on the objects and events about him, even to be jocose and facetious respecting them. This state, as well as the degree of restoration that had now been attained, will best be illustrated by the relation of a few anecdotes: Thus, towards the end of this last injection, I happened to notice “Well, we have almost injected fifty-six ounces”. Ah! He replied “I shall contradict that: there are only fifty-five and a half: don't you see you have spilled some.” It was observed that the veins on the back of his hand seemed more full. “Yes”, he said, “something must be full after all this.” Some brandy was put into arrow-root for a little drink “What is here” he asked “besides arrow-root” “Nothing but a little sugar.” said nurse “I am sure there is something else” “Only a little brandy to flavour it.” “Do you call that nothing” he said as he finished the grateful draught with much apparent satisfaction, exclaiming, in a tone of hearty sincerity, as he returned the cup into nurse's hand “thank God for that.”

In this tone did he converse, familiarly and jocularly, so that it was impossible for us to withhold our sympathy and congratulations; but this bright prospect of only of brief duration for within half an hour he began to flag; perspiration came on; at first warm then cold; and rapidly fatal was the advance of his illness from this period.

This was one of those cases in which from the first it seemed “that death had marked him for his own.”

It was strange that although one hundred and twenty one ounces (nearly a gallon) of fluid passed into the vein, the blood in the rig ht auricle of the heart, and indeed everywhere else, should nevertheless have been so dark and thick as it was: this is the more remarkable when it is remembered that twelve of these ounces were thrown in during the last eight to ten minutes of life – in fact whilst the patient was dying. The serus cavities were quite dry but the quantity of watery fluid in the bowels was very plentiful; so that it would seem as if the watery parts had found their way into the intestines from the circulation in an infinitely more expeditious and complete manner than the existing of physiology had prepared us to anticipate.

As immediately arising from, and connected with this case, I would most respectfully throw out the following queries:-

1 st . What would be the effect of such an injection into the veins of an individual in sound health?

2 nd . Whether there are not other diseases besides cholera in which this mode of treatment may be used with advantage?

3 rd . What is the explanation of the circumstances noticed in the post mortem inspection of the foregoing case, that no visible trace of the fluid injected was to be found in the general mass of the blood, although ?? were injected as the man was dying.

4 th . Is it advisable to inject muriate of soda in this way? Common salt is a purgative, and is in daily use for that purpose in enemata. Will it not be purgative also when injected into the veins? The quantity contained in one hundred and twenty ounces of fluid injected is ?? quite enough to ind uce purgation under common circumstances.

* He subsequently acknowledged that he had had irritable bowels nearly all the time he had been on shore.

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 17:13
Hi, Shona, yes I have had that for some time. For a long time no-one in the family knew what happened to Charles, and then we stumbled across that article describing his death in graphic detail in a medical journal.

Charles is my OH's 2x-great-grandfather.

Sarah wasn't born in Whitby, but in Birmingham.
I think there has been some confusion in the past where some of the family members were born.

Shona
18-09-13, 17:24
It must have been a great moment to stumble on such a detailed, albeit graphic, account, of an ancestor's demise.

Interesting that Sarah was the daughter of a gunsmith and married a gunsmith.

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 17:36
It must have been a great moment to stumble on such a detailed, albeit graphic, account, of an ancestor's demise.

Interesting that Sarah was the daughter of a gunsmith and married a gunsmith.

It was really quite emotional reading such a graphic account. We knew how much Sarah struggled after Charles' death, and in 1841 her son and OH's great-grandfather, William Henry Lamb, was in Whitby workhouse. The Lamb family in Huntingdon were not rich, but I think they lived comfortably, and Charles' early death meant his children grew up in some poverty.

I always wondered if Charles had been apprenticed to Joseph Chambers, or had met Sarah through him.

Charles' mother was Mary, née Mallatratt, and one of her sisters, put the following in her will:

"What little furniture I may have to be disposed of and the produce with two pairs of sheet and some few of my linen and wearing apparel to be sent to Whitby in Yorkshire for the use and comfort of my nephew Charles Lamb’s Widow, she being left with eight children quite unprovided for"

Shona
18-09-13, 17:44
Charles' mother was Mary, née Mallatratt, and one of her sisters, put the following in her will:

"What little furniture I may have to be disposed of and the produce with two pairs of sheet and some few of my linen and wearing apparel to be sent to Whitby in Yorkshire for the use and comfort of my nephew Charles Lamb’s Widow, she being left with eight children quite unprovided for"

Oh, how terribly, terribly sad.

ElizabethHerts
18-09-13, 19:24
We all hear about the cholera epidemics but I never thought I would read such an account of a death from cholera of a family member.