PDA

View Full Version : Community trees on Family Search

Phoenix
17-09-13, 18:03
I don't think these can be new, but it looks like a group project, rather than individually researched work. They are constructing trees from published source materials and providing the sources so we can check the stuff out.

This link is to the Sambourne family: http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I212331&tree=EuropeRoyalNobleHous

Asa
18-09-13, 14:19
I'm not sure being from a group project always helps, Phoenix
- there are so many people claiming to be descended from an older brother of a C18th Huguenot ancestor of mine when in fact he died in infancy and they're descended from the father's second marriage. But it's almost like folklore on FH websites. This Samborne tree doesn't look too special either :)

Phoenix
18-09-13, 17:13
It does mean nobody has an axe to grind, but I think the records they are indexing were compiled by paid volunteers - the then equivalent of Ancestry.

Personally, I like to plough my own furrow. If I make a mistake, it's mine and nobody else's.

One of my ancestors appears in someone else's tree. I'm coming round to the view that they may have correctly identified her parents but birth and marriage take place miles apart and the name is a common one: I have no fewer than three branches with the surname.