PDA

View Full Version : My father's mother's father: Thomas Matthews

Nell
14-11-09, 14:27
Thomas Matthews
born 24 Jul 1838 in Whichford, Warwickshire (near Shipston on Stour and not far from the Oxfordshire border), parents Emmets Matthews & Eliza nee Nash
baptised 26 Aug 1838 St Michael, Whichford
lived in Whichford until he moved to London some time before 1861.
1861 lodging at 6 Victoria Terrace, Camberwell, working as a labourer.

1865 married Emma Moore at St Mary's, Islington. Address 13 Hornsey Road, Lower Holloway. [this address sometimes recorded as Ingram Place]

1871 with Emma and elder son Thomas Emmets Matthews, and Emma's sister Eliza at Hornsey Road.

1st May 1879 Thomas dropped dead in Victoria Street [now called Chillingworth Road, its one street down from George's Road] whilst working. It was his 14th wedding anniversary.

Report of inquest in the Islington Gazette, Wednesday May 7th, 1879
"... inquest was held ...relative to the cause of death of Thomas Matthews, aged 40, a milkman, who fell down dead in the street while pursuing his occupation. Emma Matthews, widow of deceased, of 90, George's-road, stated that deceased went out on Thursday morning to deliver milk, and at about eight 'clock she heard that he had fallen down dead in Victoria-road, and went there to find him as described. Elizabeth Jenkins, of 9 Bride-street, who knew deceased, was also called to him by her little boy, who saw him on the ground. William Bishop of 3, Victoria-road, said he saw deceased clinging to some railings, and directly afterwards the latter fell on his can. Witness went to his assistance, and found him insensible. Dr. Wight, who was called to deceased, said when he arrived the man was dead. He had known him for some years and had a long time ago diagnosed heart disease. On making a post-mortem examination, he found the cause of death was rupture of one of the valves of the heart. A verdict of 'Death from Natural Causes' was returned."
[valvular heart disorders can be caused by rheumatic fever. This might be what caused Thomas's death]

kiterunner
14-11-09, 18:24
I'm confused now, Nell - is your other TOGG thread your OH's great-grandfather?

Nell
14-11-09, 19:18
Sorry KiteRunner.

I posted about JDR Smoothy (my mum's mum's dad) before I saw that we were supposed to be doing our dad's mum's dad!

I actually know a lot about all my gt gt grandfathers except the elusive William Williams and I think he's beyond help!!!

kiterunner
14-11-09, 19:19
Okay, we'll keep JDR Smoothy till we do that one then!