PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry Historical Records and Person Search

Rick
16-09-13, 19:09
Does anyone know what data sources are being searched by records.ancestry.co.uk ? I've never come across this site or search screen before and couldn't work out how to navigate to it from the Ancestry Home Page.

I'm researching a missing brother of my great grandfather and came across a likely candidate just by googling names and years....

http://records.ancestry.co.uk/James_Giles_records.ashx?pid=60003993

It says it's a Historical Person Profile - whatever that means. There's a public tree on Ancestry which contains some of the data, but the number of children is different, for example.

I'm confused - where has the data come from ? :confused:

Kit
16-09-13, 23:25
I think that page is just combining information about that name. It may not be the man you are after and may be from peoples online trees, which are not always well researched. If you tell us what you know about the missing person we can have a look.

Rick
17-09-13, 16:42
I think I've now answered my own question. It's from Ancestry's "One World Tree" and as Toni suggests this combines submitted gedcoms. In this particular case though, the source is from just one gedcom from 2002 and there's an email address for me to contact. I've also contacted the public tree owner and there's someone with the same information on GR, so I've messaged them too. Here's hoping one will reply.

Toni - I'm not sure it's going to be possible to find out if it's the correct James Giles without some confirmation from the tree owners or getting the marriage certificate to Annie Collins, but here are the details just in case.....

James Giles born q2 1887, Chelsea to Frederick Giles and Ann (nee Jobbins). James is single and with his widowed mother in 1911 and I don't know what happened to either of them after that.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1911england&h=994627&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t58184359_p48032708292_kpidz0q3d4803270829 2z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid

Although the user trees do have some mistakes, such as his parents, I've verified the following:

Annie Fowler m. Harold Collins 1914 Wortley, Yorks
Leslie Collins b.1915 Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorks, mother's maiden name Fowler
Harold Collins d.1915 France, husband of Annie Giles, formerly Collins of Sheffield
James Giles m. Annie Collins 1918, Bridlington, Yorks
6 children born Sheffield to Giles, mother's maiden name Fowler
James Giles d.1964 Blackpool, Lancs aged 76

It looks promising, just lacking proof !

Rick
23-09-13, 10:00
Well that was an interesting and successful piece of research ! An Australian lady on GR is the granddaughter of James Giles. She confirmed a date of birth in Q2 1887, father Frederick and born Fulham (actually just off the Fulham Road in Chelsea). So I've now found out what happened my great grandfather's brother.

The orignal gedcom that contained the information was last modified in 1999 and was submitted to Ancestry in 2002 and contains some mistakes, but the originator would not have had the luxury of online censuses for 1891 onwards to correctly identify James's parents.

What is interesting is that the way I found the gedcom which had been used to create the "composite" tree in my original post was to search One World Tree on this link.....

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/owt/default.aspx

In the week since I posted, that has been closed off and now redirects you to standard old search. So I might not have found him if I had started googling today.