PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Charpentier, Carpentier, Carpenter etc

Sue from Southend
16-09-13, 08:00
Name - Jonathan Charpentier
Date and place of birth - unknown
Names of parents - unknown
Date and place of baptism - unknown
Details of each of his or her marriages - Marie Gentil, 2 Feb 1761, St Matthew, Bethnal Green, Middlesex. There are also two further marriages of a Widower, Jonathan Carpenter, in 1782 and 1811, the first is a possible but the second dubious. Still investigating.
Occupation(s) - Weaver
Addresses where they lived
1761 - 1776 Spitalfields. Records show 10 children baptised at The French Church Threadneedle St but looking at the new Ancestry non conformist records it would seem that there was a Chapel in Spitalfields linked to Threadneedle St.
Date, place and cause of death - unknown
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Link to possible daughter, Esther.
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14106

Sue from Southend
16-09-13, 15:05
Although I can't find a baptism for Jonathan there is a couple, Pierre and Madelaine Carpentier baptising umpteen children in Spitalfields 1724 - 1739 (Ancestry, Non conformist records). The names of many of these children appear again amongst Jonathan's children as does the name Pierre. Not sure how to prove or disprove this!

Asa
17-09-13, 09:39
Sue, it's worth having a look on FS - I've been getting images from Ancestry of baptisms I e already got and they've not all been transcribed. Other than that, there aren't that many Huguenot wills or apprenticeship records but you might find something in the Huguenot society records - it's a bit late for temoignages but maybe in the hospital records or something? Some of my Huguenots are complete mysteries :-(

Asa
17-09-13, 12:35
Sue, I've been looking on FS and Ancestry and can't see anything - the godparents are recorded on the baptisms for Jonathan's children though which should help a bit

Asa
17-09-13, 13:25
If you google his name and Threadneedle Street you'll we someone has put a list of tesmoignages (sorry I can never remember how to spell it) and he made his there in 1752. No family info tho but does tell you be was a member

Sue from Southend
17-09-13, 17:06
Thank you so much for looking Asa.

I have several Huguenot Society CDs and have trawled through them searching for Jonathan. I have even collated all the baptisms where he or his wife were godparents and recorded the names of their children's godparents (the Huguenots were great for that!) but it hasn't told me anything conclusive.

I'll have another look at the tesmoignages, I thought they were on one of my CDs but I could be wrong, I often am :rolleyes:) maybe someone else will pop up.

Thanks again