William McEwan

Date and place of birth:
24th August 1863 in Dreghorn, County of Ayr, Scotland

Names of parents:
Robert McEwan and Mary Shaw

Date and place of baptism:
Not Known

Details of Marriage:
Married Mary Ann Walker Wilson in the Parish of Dreghorn, County of Ayr on 15th July 1887

Occupation(s):
Coal Miner

Military service:
Not Known

Addresses where they lived:
9 Overton Rows, Dreghorn, Ayr, Scotland - 1881 Census
14 Overton Rows, Dreghorn, Ayr, Scotland - 1891 Census
36 Overton Rows, Dreghorn, Ayr, Scotland - 1901 Census

Date, place and cause of death
Not Known

Date and place of burial / cremation.
Not Known

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Not Known - ulikely a very poor coal mining family.

Memorial inscription:
Not Known

MargaretMarch
15-11-09, 15:29
I imagine you have looked for a death on Scotlandspeople?
Margaret

maggie_4_7
15-11-09, 15:50
I have done but William McEwan in Scotland is one of the most commons names and the family were in Ayrshire and Glasgow area so a wide area. Plus I was concentrating on close ancestors so I could trace living family.

I spent a lot of money on credits and certifictess off Scotlands People this last year so I needed to stop for a bit and of course there's so much other stuff I need plus the LMA came online so I got sidetracked.

samesizedfeet
15-11-09, 17:42
do you know whereabouts in the Glasgow area?

I have some spare Scotland's people credits. Although there's no hits for William McEwan mother's maiden name Shaw there's quite a few for William McEwan born 1863 +/-2 years with no mother listed

maggie_4_7
15-11-09, 17:52
No I don't want you to spend credits.

I looked in Ayr, Dreghorn and Bridgeton and Coatbridge, Glasgow and Steppes that some of the family moved to. But like you say there's tons of William McEwans so I will work my way through the ones that are left eventually. I have to have my concentration head on. I think I got up to 8 pages of William McEwans left but to be honest I'm not sure I'd know which one it was anyway unless something really stands out :)

kiterunner
15-11-09, 18:15
I suppose Scotland's People will get round to putting mother's maiden name on the whole of the deaths index one of these days, and then it will be easy and cheap to find him!

maggie_4_7
16-11-09, 17:43
I wish they'd hurry up I have a whole list on the McEwan side, the Youngs weren't as difficult because they have a certain name (surname) they use that is very unique when its coupled with Young sticks out like a sore thumb so easy to spot births, deaths and marriages.

I have quite a few Scottish family that are proving a bit elusive now because they have very typical Scottish names and unless a surname has been used as a middle name its like looking for a needle in a haystack and even when they have you can bet some other family have exactly the same names!