PDA

View Full Version : I'm exhausted

Asa
08-09-13, 14:59
But very chuffed. I started tracing my mum's paternal tree 25 years or so ago and because they'd pretty much stayed in Berkshire, where I grew up, I was able to trace the line back to the early C18th with ease. I couldn't find a baptism for my seven x great grandfather or an apprentice record or mention of him in a will although I gathered a lot of info about other people with the surname, common in that area.

I thought I'd pretty much done what I could do with the family in C18th Berks but I've got a sub with the genealogist at the moment which includes access to PCC wills. I came across a will from 1780 in the area and the fellow only turns out to be a presumably younger brother of my 7x great grandfather and he names - over several now transcribed pages - three other deceased brothers (whose families I have notes on), two sisters (who both left wills!), twenty nephews and nieces and even some great nephews and nieces. I've now found an apprentice record for one of the brothers which names the widowed mother so I have so much more work to do, including a trip or two back to Berks RO.

My mum and my OH have been informed of my joy but was a tad underwhelmed as they're not genealogically minded so had to share on here :)

Lindsay
08-09-13, 15:15
I'm really pleased for you, Asa! It's a lovely feeling when you have a breakthrough like that.

Like yours, my family are not terribly interested, but at least you know everyone here will understand :)

ElizabethHerts
08-09-13, 15:37
I'm chuffed for you, David. I think a Genealogist's sub is the way to go for me too. I'm hoping it might knock down some brick walls.

It's so satisfying to have breadth across a generation - not just your ancestor but also the siblings and spouses, plus any children. Of course, I know you are a great fan of transcribing wills, as I am, so I expect you have been busy there.

Asa
08-09-13, 15:57
Lindsay, it's wonderful for a bit til we start getting frustrated about the previous generation ;)

I am really starting to enjoy transcribing now, Elizabeth and have found some new words today I never knew of - behoof, distrain and defray (I might be showing my ignorance here!). I have a few wills on the Oxfordshire site now which Dave sorts out for me :)

I'd recommend the genealogist, even though some of the Non Con records are on Ancestry now.

ElizabethHerts
08-09-13, 17:04
I must have over 12 wills on the Oxfordshire site, and I find Dave Beames very useful. I've still got a fair few to submit.

maryphil
08-09-13, 20:49
Asa
Before I start writing down loads of information, did you know that William Williamson was married for the first time in 1781 and his wife died just before he married Elizabeth Cole?
I love transcription work, I did a lot on the manor court rolls for Chalgrave, problem was most of it was in Latin and that is something I never learnt at scholol. It took me hours using books etc.
Regards
Mary

Asa
09-09-13, 06:42
Hi Mary, yes I did - he married firstly Sarah Beal and had a son.

Nell
09-09-13, 17:11
Asa

I'm chuffed for you. It's lovely to make a breakthrough!

Nell

maryphil
09-09-13, 19:53
Asa
Does that mean that you know the details from the marriage licence and the fact that it states he comes from Lidlington?
Regards
Mary

Asa
09-09-13, 20:44
Oh no, no details! That would be great, Mary - thank you.

Asa
09-09-13, 20:44
Thanks, Nell - nice to see you :)

maryphil
09-09-13, 21:36
Asa
I still can't find his baptism for you but here are the details from his marriage licence

William Williamson, labourer, aged 19, from Lidlington, married with consent of Father at Husborne Crawley on the 9th February 1781.
Sarah Beal, aged 19, with consent from Mother
Surety was William Chapman victualler of Aspley Guise

Regards
Mary

Kit
10-09-13, 03:34
What a wonderful find Asa. So very happy for you. Breakthroughs are wonderful. :)

Asa
10-09-13, 06:38
Thanks, Kit

Mary, thank you very much for that - obviously his age at burial is quite a way out or is mistranscribed. That's a great piece of info

Asa
10-09-13, 07:11
Mary, I think his baptism is on the IGI - William, son of Lawrence and Ann 18 Sep 1761 at Felmersham. William and his second wife had twin sons in 1788 and one of them was Lawrence

maryphil
10-09-13, 16:16
Asa

Lawrence Williamson married Ann Henman at Felmesham on the 28th November 1757.

It would make sense Lawrence was buried at Pavenham on the 15th June 1816 aged 86.
Ann wife of Lawrence was also buried at Pavenham on the 15th March 1777.
Lawrence then re-married
Lawrence Williamson widower married Ann Stamor widow at Pavenham on the 29th January 1781

Looking at my marriage database there were a lot of Lawrence Williamson's going back. maybe a bit of a family name?
Regards
Mary

Asa
10-09-13, 18:32
Thank you Mary- that's a big help. My Lawrence would seem to be the son of Judith and baptised at Oakley. His eldest daughter was Judith. Lawrence is a rare enough name for it to be likely that they're all connected somewhere.

Joy Dean
10-09-13, 20:24
But very chuffed. I started tracing my mum's paternal tree 25 years or so ago and because they'd pretty much stayed in Berkshire, where I grew up, I was able to trace the line back to the early C18th with ease. I couldn't find a baptism for my seven x great grandfather or an apprentice record or mention of him in a will although I gathered a lot of info about other people with the surname, common in that area.

I thought I'd pretty much done what I could do with the family in C18th Berks but I've got a sub with the genealogist at the moment which includes access to PCC wills. I came across a will from 1780 in the area and the fellow only turns out to be a presumably younger brother of my 7x great grandfather and he names - over several now transcribed pages - three other deceased brothers (whose families I have notes on), two sisters (who both left wills!), twenty nephews and nieces and even some great nephews and nieces. I've now found an apprentice record for one of the brothers which names the widowed mother so I have so much more work to do, including a trip or two back to Berks RO.

My mum and my OH have been informed of my joy but was a tad underwhelmed as they're not genealogically minded so had to share on here :)

Excellent! I'm very pleased that you have shared here.:)