PDA

View Full Version : Robert Brodie of Fife 1798

sam
08-09-13, 11:01
Hi,
I winder if anyone can help me. My 3 times great grandfather Robert Brodie born about 1798 appears in the 1841 census in Largo with the Lumsden family and his son Laurence. He is listed as a Sailor. I believe he is the Robert Brodie from Dysart, possibly the son of John and Isobel but I was confused identifying him from further censuses because the only two were a Robert c 1800 who was an Agricultural Lab and Robert c 1798 who was a weaver, until I found a Voter's register which lists him as a Weaver and Sailor.
I believe that this Robert (my Robert) married Margaret Thompson in Dysart in 1819. She appears in the 1841 census in Dysart with children Agnes (later referred to as Nancy, Mary and Margaret. There is also a CHRISTIAN Brodie (female) born c 1775 Fife with them who I cannot identify.
Margaret died between 1841 and 1851 because Robert then married Elizabeth Chapman in 1849 and appears in the later censuses with Nancy - step daughter who then calls herself Agnes.
I am fairly confident about Margaret Thompson because Thompson was then passed down through the family.
Does anyone know anything about these people? Particularly who Christian may have been in connection to the family. I would be really grateful for any help.

Sam

kiterunner
08-09-13, 11:20
Have you viewed the image of the Robert Brodie / Margaret Thompson marriage on Scotland's People, Sam? And if so, does it give any extra information? Also is there any extra information on Robert's marriage to Elizabeth Chapman?

And do you have details of Robert's death? You say he appears in the later censuses so I guess he died after the start of civil registration in Scotland? In which case his death certificate (which should be on Scotland's People) should give his parents' names?

Shona
08-09-13, 17:52
Hi Sam,

I've got a Robert Brodie in one of my Fife branches. He married a Thomson - Grizel, though, not Margaret. If you do a search for Brodie on the forum, it should bring up my posts. I have a CD of pre-registration deaths in Fife, too, which I can check, but I'm away from home at moment.

The Fife Family History Society have made a great deal of info available on line for free - including internments in Dysart. Have you had a look at the web site?

sam
15-09-13, 13:20
Hi Shona,
I haven't had a look at the website you mention. I am going round in circles at the moment.
Our family always spelt Thompson with an h and because I have a marriage record for Robert to Margaret Thompson dated 1819, I am sure she must be the Margaret in the 1841 census who is with Christian Brodie (born 1773). They may be no relation at all but I wonder if this could be your Christian Brodie (nee Thomson).
Looking at Robert and Grizel's child Robert he was born 1807 some time later than my Robert in 1798. It might help if I could find a birth record for his son Laurence who was born c 1826 (Laurence was my great x 2 grandfather). who appears with him in the 1841 census in Largo.

Shona
15-09-13, 14:41
I'll look into the Brodie family in tbe next day or so, Sam.

As regards the Fife Family History website, it has been rejigged and most of tbe previously free info now requires a sub.

kiterunner
15-09-13, 14:44
Any answers to my questions in post #2, Sam?

kiterunner
15-09-13, 21:49
I got your PM, Sam, and I would suggest the next thing to do is to look at the images of the Robert Brodie / Margaret Thompson marriage and the Robert Brodie / Elizabeth Chapman marriage on Scotland's People as there may (or may not) be more information on there. And to find Robert's death registration and view the death certificate, also on Scotland's People, as that should give the names of his parents. It may well turn out that Christian is his mother.

sam
16-09-13, 09:40
Thank you for that. I will give it a try.

Shona
16-09-13, 10:23
I agree with Kiterunner, Sam. You do need to look at the images on Scotland's People. As Robert Brodie died after statutory registration, I'd start with his death. That record should give the name of his parents and his occupation.

On Family Search, there is a Robert Brodie born in Dysart parish on 25 July 1798 and baptised on 5 August. Parents are John Brodie and Isabel Smart. There are two other children born to this couple in Dysart - George (15 April 1800) and Cath. (15 July 1892).

Looking at the pre-statutory registration deaths and burials in Dysart, there are 63 Brodies listed for that parish alone. However, the following burials will be interest to you.

- 23 Dec 1818, still-born child of Robert Brodie, mariner, Dunnikier, Dysart
- 8 March 1822, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor and feur, Dunnikier, Dysart. Grandchild of Marey Ritchy, dcsd
- 18 June 1823, still-born child of Robert Brodie, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor, Dunnikier, Dysart
- 19 Sept 1826, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor, Dunniker, Dysart
- 28 May 1830, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor, Dunnikier, Dysart

- 28 October 1847, Mgt Brodie, alias Thom, wife of Robt Brodie, seaman and feuar, 54, Dunnikier, Dysart

Going back to Family Search, there are two marriage records for Robert Brodie and Elizabeth Chapman on 10 September 1849 - one in Abbotshall parish and the other in Dysart. This implies she is from Abbotshall.

You will need to view the images for both marriages on Scotland's People to see if it is the same man.

Keep us posted about what you find.

sam
16-09-13, 13:32
Hello Shona,
Thank you so much for this. If only I could find a record of Robert's son Laurence. I know he was born in 1825. If this is the right Robert Brodie.
Everything else fits. I am banking on the fact the 1841 census in Dysart has Margaret with three daughters, or at least I think they are. Agnes appears later with Robert and Elizabeth and she is listed as Elizabeth's step daughter. The date of birth for Agnes is right as is the address in Mid Street.
I had found a marriage for an Alexander Brodie and Mary Ritchie in 1786 which would fit date wise for Robert.
As far as I can tell there is not a record for Laurence. I couldn't find one on Scotland's people either.
By the way what is a feuar?
Many thanks again, Sue

kiterunner
16-09-13, 13:38
Did Laurence marry and / or die in Scotland, Sam, and if so, when?

Shona
16-09-13, 13:53
I found a Laurence Brodie in Maryport in 1851, aged 26, born Scotland, married to Elizabeth, occupation - locomotive engine fitter. There is a death for a Laurence Brodie in Cockermouth, AMJ 1861.

kiterunner
16-09-13, 13:56
I was hoping that Laurence married or died in Scotland after the start of civil registration, Shona, to get confirmation of his father's name from the registration. But even though it looks as if he married before civil registration, it's possible that the marriage entry might give his father's name, isn't it?
Edit - or did he marry in England, in which case the marriage cert should give father's name?

kiterunner
16-09-13, 14:07
Aha, the marriage is on FamilySearch:
Laurence Brodie married Elizabeth Moore 27 Jan 1851 at Cross-Canonby, Cumberland, and it gives their fathers' names on there - Robert Brodie and William Moore.

Shona
16-09-13, 14:25
That fits in with the census records.

1861 Crosscanonby

Elisabeth Brodie, widow, 36
Margaret Brodie, dau, 9
Mary Brodie, dau, 8
Robert Brodie, son, 6
William Brodie, son, 5
Betsey Laura, dau, 2

All recorded as b in Maryport.

1871 Crosscanonby

Elisabeth Brodie, head, 44, chairwoman , b Maryport
Robert Brodie, son, 16, engine smith, b Maryport
William Brodie, son, 15, b Whitehaven
Laurence Brodie, son, 9, scholar, b Maryport

Shona
16-09-13, 15:01
Going back to Fife...

From 1818 to 1830, five still-born children buried - father Robert Brodie, described as a mariner, sailor and feur. Residence, Dunnikier, Dysart parish.

1841 New Gilston, Largo parish

Thomas Lumsden, 25, coal miner
Elisabeth Lumsden, 25
Henry Lumsden, 2
Janet Lumsden, 5 mo
Laurence Brodie, 15, teacher
Robert Brodie, 45, seaman

All born in county.

FMP has another family recorded along with the Lumsdens and Brodies - the Lockharts.

1841 Mid Street, Dysart

Andrew Weir, 21, linen HLW
Isabella Weir, 21
Christian Brodie, 66, winder
Christian Blythe, 24, winder
Margaret Brodie, 48, winder
Mary Brodie, 16, weaver
Agnes Brodie, 13
Margaret Brodie, 9

Electoral list

4 April 1845 - Robert Brodie, weaver and sailor, proprietor dwelling house and garden, Mid Street, Pathhead, Dysart

11 Sept 1845 - ditto

2 October 1847, 54-year-old Mgt Brodie, alias Thom., buried. Wife of Robert Brodie, seaman and feur, Dunnikier, Dysart.

1861 Mid Street, Pathhead, Dysart

Robert Brodie, head, 67, weaver, b Pathhead
Elisabeth Brodie, wife, 60, b Dysart
Nancy Brodie, dau, 33, semptress, b Pathhead

Electoral list

1862 - Robert Brodie, weaver, proprietor houses, Mid Street, Pathhead, Dysart

1863 - ditto.

The Margaret Brodie who appears on the 1841 census in Dysart, is on the 1871 census at Queen Anne Street, Marylebone, London, 39, single, personal attendant, b Dysart.

kiterunner
16-09-13, 15:46
If you haven't looked up Robert's death certificate yet, Sam, on Scotland's People there is a Robert Brodie death in the Statutory Deaths, 1863, Dysart, Fife, age 70, mother's maiden surname Ritchie. (I didn't view the image, just did a free search. The image would give you more information than this.)

Shona
16-09-13, 16:09
That should be Robert as it ties in with info on one of the burials of the still-born children.

8 March 1822, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor and feur, Dunnikier, Dysart. Grandchild of Marey Ritchy, dcsd

Shona
16-09-13, 16:15
Hmmm - the death of Robert on SP (son of Mary Ritchie) and the burial of the child (child of Robert and grandchild of Marey Ritchy) means that this Robert is not the Robert who was the son of John Brodie and Isobel Smart (born 25 July 1798 in Dysart and baptised on 5 August).

Shona
16-09-13, 16:31
Following the Ritchie lead, I've found the following three burials.

Mary Brodie alias Ritc.
Dysart, Dunnikier
Burial 26 September 1804
Age 40
Wife of Alexander Brodie (mariner)
Mother of Walter Brodie (dcsd)

Walter Brodie
Dysart, Dunnikier
Burial 20 June 1792
Age 5-6
Son of Alexr Brodie (hammerman and mariner)
Nephew of Walter Brodie

Walter Brodie
Dysart, Dunnikier
Burial 29 April 1788
Age 72
Hammerman and feuar

sam
16-09-13, 16:37
Hi Shona,
I have checked and everything including date fit. The poor woman must have been constantly pregnant!
Their children goes as follows:
1818 Stillbirth
1822 Stillbirth
1823 Stillbirth
1824 Mary Brodie
1825 Laurence Brodie
1826 Stillbirth
1828 Agnes Brodie
1830 Stillbirth
1832 Margaret Brodie
When Laurence married in 1851 he named his first child Margaret who was born in 1853, Mary 1853, Robert 1855, William Shakespeare Brodie 1856! Elizabeth Brodie (my gGrandmother) 1858 and Laurence Thompson Brodie 1862
The name Thompson was added to a few of Laura's children her eldest being named Laurence Thompson Brodie Macarthur.
I am very grateful for your help. Thank you.

Sam

Shona
16-09-13, 17:26
Have you had a chance to view the images of any of the suggested records on Scotland's People, Sam?

kiterunner
16-09-13, 17:55
FamilySearch has a marriage between Alexander Brodie and Christian Hepburn 6 Jan 1809 at Dysart. If this is the same Alexander, Robert's father, then Christian would be Robert's stepmother. Is there a burial for Christian, Shona?

Shona
16-09-13, 19:00
Saw that marriage earlier. However, I can't find any matches in the pre-stat reg burials.

However, I did come across the following which could be linked, as Laurence is a fairly unusual name for Fifers.

- Mary Habron, chd, daughter of Laurans Habron, weaver, buried 27 June 1790, Dunnikier, Dysart.

- Lawranes Hepburn, buried 20 Jan 1794, weaver and feuar, son-in-law of Jennet Lasson [prob Lawson], dcsd

- John Hepburn, lad, buried 24 Nov 1804, son of Laurance Hepburn, weaver, dcsd, Dunnikier, Dysart.

- Cathrain Habron, alias Ingl., buried 19 June 1818, relict of Laurans Habron, feuar, mother of John, dcsd, Dunnikier, Dysart.

Phoenix
16-09-13, 22:07
Intrigued by the word feuar, I Googled it "A feuar is basically a tenant or occupant of land who pays a fee (feudal duty) to a landlord or land owner"

garstonite
17-09-13, 07:26
I don`t want to veer off course - but Garston had a very famous man named John Alexander Brodie b 1858 died 1934 ..he designed The Mersey Tunnel /gave Liverpool its Tram network and invented Goal Nets for Football matches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Alexander_Brodie

on freebmd it looks like he was born in Bridgenorth area - familysearch says Nr Ludlow ..100 yards from me is Brodie Avenue - named after John Alexander Brodie in his honour of what he achieved in Liverpool...he is in Garston in 1911 census..
I just thought that with the Alexander middle name ,he may be connected ??...if not disregard this post ....

Shona
17-09-13, 08:34
Interesting story, Allan. John Alexander Brodie's parents were Scottish and although John was born in England, I think the family moved back to Scotland when he was young.

Not a Fife family, though.

Shona
17-09-13, 09:03
Some more bits and pieces.

Pathhead, now part of Kirkcaldy, was once a separate village. To the south was the Firth of Forth, west was Kirkcaldy and Dysart was to the east of Pathhead. to the north were the villages of Gallatown, Sinclairtown and Dunnikier.

There is a book written in 1863 by Robert Brodie's called Historical Sketches of Pathhead and Vicinity. He was a feuer and native of the town. Whether this is the same Robert that we have been researching, I don't know, but the book does have some interesting accounts of life at the time. Might be worth getting hold of a copy.

Here is one snippet.

Impressions and Memories by a Pathhead Laddie. B.1839. D. 1918.

"My earliest recollections of the west end of Mid Street was of an old tenement house being pulled down.

"It had just been undermined and a long rope put up at the chimney to complete its downfall -

"The whole of the West End folk were out to witness it.

"My Granfather & Grandmother began their married life in that same tenement before the End of the 18th Century. Braehead Cottages were erected on that site, and in front was vacant ground down to the head of the Path, where was a low - wall - 2 to 3 feet high - where old men and women, after climbing the Path could take a rest - Bakers who then carried their bread on boards for delivery to customers, took a much needed breath after the steep climb. The vacant ground was called the "Knoule" and was used by the boys and girls as a playground, but later on the wall was built up higher.

"Mid Street had many outside Stairs and Porches onto the Pavement.

"The Causeway was laid with round boulders, and these very uneven, with many hollows & holes which, after a shower of rain was very convenient for the Ducks and Hens which were kept by the householders and the Street was their only run - Looking along the street at that time reminded you of a farmyard.

The improvement was made in the Early 50s, when granite sets were put down in the Centre of the Causeway, and the best of the boulders put at each side, The sidewalks were made up with an assortment of bits of pavement, bricks, and granite sets. There was one Porch that took up al the space of the footpath in front. It was called the "Muckle Lum"

Many of the houses were thatched & one of the old One Storey houses at the West End had a stable at one End and a family lived at the other. The roof fell in, and the horse had got out and was found in the Country unhurt

The street had only channels or Surface drains, it had 2 Pump wells, and 2 Draw wells.

The only one used for domestic purposes was the Iron Pump to the East of the Flesh Wynd: In Summer the demand for this Water was so great that the well often ran dry. and a lock and Chain was put on the handle for an hour or two until the water again gathered, and then you would see a Queue waiting with Stoops & Pitchers

The Wooden well at the West End, was not used for Cooking as it had rather a Peculiar taste, and some would have it that the reason was the Vicinity of the West Burying ground Some because of a Coal pit. A little to the East of West Wynd was a Draw Well, but it was not in use in my day."

kiterunner
17-09-13, 10:09
Why didn't he put in his grandparents' names?! I do hope he turns out to be the same Robert Brodie, that would be amazing! If not then perhaps a relative, though. (Sorry, realised the person with the grandparents isn't named either.)

Shona
17-09-13, 11:28
It would be amazing if it is the same Robert. Given that the one who wrote the book was a native of the parish and a feuar as was the one we've been researching, it seems possible it's the same chap.

Kirkcaldy Central Library has a copy of the book.

Shona
17-09-13, 16:27
Had a chat with the Local Studies and Family History department of Kirkcaldy Central Library. They have a copy of Robert Brodie's book in their lending section and it can be requested on inter-library loan.

All they could tell me about the author was that he was the Chairman of the Feuars of Pathhead.

Shona
17-09-13, 16:30
I wonder if this is where Robert and his family were buried.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-45539-mid-street-pathhead-feuars-graveyard-with

sam
21-09-13, 20:52
Hi Shona and Kiterunner. I have just logged in and read your posts. Everything is correct. Laurence was my great great grandfather and I tracked through as you have and got as far as wondering if Alexander was Walter's son which you have established for me! Many thanks for that.
I have just joined the Fife History Society which I am told has records of the Patthead Feuars cemetery. I found details of Mary Richie's family in Dunnikier going back to 1634 on her maternal side. It had details of burials which were very moving detailing how many were laid out in their graves, including many of the children.
I found a birth of an Alexander on the IGI son of Walter but I wasn't sure if it was him as it is the first time I have seen the name Walter in the Brodie family.
I am grateful to you both.

Sam

sam
21-09-13, 21:18
This Robert Brodie was much later. I found details of his book on line and it was written way into the 19th century. But you never know if he was related

sam
21-09-13, 21:22
Just looked on the IGI and I have
Alexander Brodie born 24 March 1761 bap 29 March son of Walter Brodie and Elizabeth Ruthven
They married 3 March 1760 Dysart
Walter Brodie baptised 30 dec 1722 Dysart son of Alexander Brodie and Lilias Webster
They had children:
William Bryddy 7 Sept 1715
James Brodie 2 June 1717
Helen Brodie 27 Sept 1719

Sam

sam
21-09-13, 22:22
Just found a baptism for an Alexander Brodie dated 23 December 1683 son of William Brodie and Helen Kinloch. I imagine this could be Alexander who married Lilias Webster.

Sam

Shona
23-09-13, 09:47
A few more records from pre-stat registration deaths/burials.

Elisabeth Brodie
Alias Rive
Dysart Dunnikier
Burial 30 Jan 1801
Relict of Walter Brodie (dcsd)

Isabell Riven
Alias Melv
Linktown of Arnot*
Burial 15 Jan 1773
Relict of ???? Riven (shoemaker)
Died in the house of Walter Broidie (son-in-law)

* This is Abbotshall

Lilie Webster
Dysart
Burial 27 July 1733
Widow of Alexander Brydie (maltman)

I believe that Riven/Reven, etc, are variants of Ruthven.

Going back to the history of Pathhead written by Robert Brodie, feuar, and published in 1863, I can't find any other likely suspects who could be the author. Curious why you think it may be too late to be your Robert, Sam. Have you viewed the 1863 death for Robert Brodie that Kiterunner found on SP (MMN Ritchie). Perhaps it was published in memory of Robert.

Also, as I can't find a death for Christian Brodie, nee Hepburn, on the pre-statutory registration records, her death could be on SP. Might be worth viewing that image, too.

Shona
23-09-13, 14:36
Trawled through all my previous views on SP and came across this:

Death

Robert Brodie
Linen weaver
Married to Elizabeth Chapman
Died on 5 October 1863
Pathhead, Dysart
Age 70
Son of Alexander Brodie, master mariner (deceased) and Mary Brodie MS Ritchie deceased)
Natural decay
Informant A Brodie, 129 Rose Street, Edinburgh (son)

Searching on Ancestry for the informant, I found this:

1861 - 129 Rose Street, Edinburgh, St George
Alexander Brodie
Unmarried
Lodger
Born Pathhead, Fife
Collector of gus afes

1851 - 5 Rose Street, Edinburgh St George
Alexander Brodie
Unmarried
13 (!!!!)
Lodger
Born Pathhead, Fife
Collector for Gas Company

Haven't yet found him before 1841 or after 1861. Nor can I find a birth.

This confirms that we have a Robert Brodie who was the son of Alexander Brodie and Mary Ritchie who was married to Elizabeth Chapman.

Also it looks as if we've found another child born to Robert Brodie and his first wife, Margaret Thompson (curious that the previous marriage wasn't mentioned on the death record). Like their son Lawrence Brodie, though, it seems that Alexander's birth/baptism is missing.

This link is to an old thread on Rootschat on the Pathhead Feuars Cemetery. The index to the headstone inscriptions doesn't list any Brodies. Of course, they could still have been buried there.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=288395.0

Shona
26-09-13, 15:42
Lots of relevant people mentioned in this deed.

Brydie, James maltman of Dysart with consent of spouse Hellen Kinloch, disp and assig to nephew John Brydie, maltman in Ely and other relatives, 25 Jan 1733; also bond and assig to Mgt Brydie relict of dec John Reddie, shipmaster burgess of Dysart, and dau of sd Hellen Kinloch, by her 1st husband William Brydie and other relatives, 4 July 1733; also disp and assig to Walter Brydie only son in life of dec Alexander Brydie, maltman burgess of Dysart, who was son of sd Hellen Kinloch, 11 Jan 1734.

sam
27-09-13, 21:59
You have ben busy Shona! Many thanks for this. All the names look familiar from the tree I have made.
May I ask what you mean by another child of Margaret and Robert? I am a bit confused. I have four live births: Mary, Laurence, Agnes and Margaret. Do you mean that they had another child named Alexander?
Also, I am finding it difficult to make out the last post from you. Obviously, Helen married twice, the first time to William Brodie? 'James, Maltman of Dysart with consent of Spouse Helen Kinloch?? I know that Helen and William had a son named James in 1717. I don't have a daughter named Margaret but I may have just missed her.

Sam

sam
27-09-13, 22:06
Shona,
Reading through what you have written. I am quite excited to the think that the author Robert Brodie could be my Robert.. I just assumed that it wasn't.
Christian Brodie (Hepworth), I ruled out because she appears in the 1841 census with her husband at the same time as the Christian is with Margaret and her girls.
Christian Hepworth married an Alexander Brodie in Dysart in 1809.

Sam

Shona
27-09-13, 22:19
I'm away from home for a couple of days, Sam, so I'll have to check all my Brodie notes and sources next week. What I'll do is post a summary of the discoveries.

And I still haven't found the link between my Alexander Brodie, son of Robert and your Brodies!

sam
28-09-13, 08:56
Hi Shona,
I am very grateful for your help. I was only thinking last night about your Brodies and whether or not we are connected. My instinct says that somewhere down the line we may be. I wonder if the link is with William and Helen's sons ie William 1715 or James 1717?
I am stuck on Margaret Thompson at the moment. It seems fairly certain that she was born in 1793 and I did look on SP for her marriage to Robert but it told me nothing about her parents.
I shall look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks again, Sam

sam
29-09-13, 17:24
Shona,
I have found three more children of William Brodie and Helen Kinloch; Elizabeth 1675, John 1686 and Margaret 1692.
I am thinking that your Brodies may well be allied to mine. How far back have you gone on your tree?

Sam

Shona
30-09-13, 15:04
The following Brodies were buried in the Pathhead Feuars' Burial Ground. Interestingly, some of Lair Registers from which the info is taken were transcribed by Robert Brodie (the one who wrote the book).

Brydie, Alexander
23 August 1715
Child, son of Alexander Brydie, maltman in Dunnikier
(next burial in grave - Elisabeth Brodie, 7 April 1766)

Elspet Thomson
16 April 1754
Spouse of Alexander Brydie, maltster/feuar in Dunnikier
Left side of Alexander Thomson
(next burials in grave - Alexander Bridie May 29 1768, John Kid July 26 1770)

Bridie
28 February 1756
Still-born child of William Bridie, shoemaker in Smeaton
In grave of child of Andrew Nuckel

Walter Bridie
23 July 1764
Child, son of Walter Bridie, hammerman in Dunnikier
In old grave (next burial in grave - Walter Brodie, 20 June 1792)

Elisbath Brodie
9 April 1766
Child, dau of Walter Brodie, hammerman and feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of Alexander Brodie

Elisbath Bridie
20 February 1768
Child, dau of Walter Bridie, hammerman and feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of Isbal Bridg

Alexander Brydie
29 May 1768
Land-labourer and feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of Elspet Thomson, his spouse, on left side of Euphan Thomson
(next burials in grave John Brodie 20 January 1782, John Kid 26 July 1770)

John Broide
21 September 1772
Shoemaker in Dunnikier
In grave of James Millar, on left side of Thomas Rissal and right side of Agnus Anderson, second spouse of Bailie Grige
(next burial in grave - Dannel Hatton 18 Oct 1799)

Walter Bridday
26 March 1773
Child, son of Walter Bridday, hammerman in Dunnikier
On right side of brother and sister

John Brodie
20 January 1782
A lad, son of dec Alexander Brodie, land-labourer and feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of said father, on left side of Euphan Thomson
(next burial in grave - John Kidd 17 March 1794)

Walter Brodie
29 April 1788, 72 yrs
Hammerman and feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of Isbal Killgour, on Youfan Miller's left side
(next burial in grave - Bettie Brodie 13 June 1800)

Mary Brodie
8 April 1790
Spouse of George Thomson, barber in Dunnikier
In grave of Robert Law, at head of William Kid, on Robert Bell's left side

Walter Brodie
20 June 1792
Child (5-6 yrs)
Son of Alexander Brodie, hammerman and mariner in Dunnikier
In grave of uncle Walter Brodie

Mgt Brodie
25 April 1795
Relict of dec John Kidd, merchant/feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of Hellen Thomson

Betie Brodie
13 June 1800
Spouse of Robert Gibb snr, weaver and feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of brother, Walter Brodie, on left side of Elisbath Kidd
(next burial in grave - Robert Gibb, 23 Dec 1800)

Mgt Brodie
4 January 1801
Child, dau of Alexander Brodie, shipmaster in Dunnikier
Left side of brother, Walter Brodie

Mary Ritchie
26 September 1804, 40 yrs
Spouse of Alexander Brodie, mariner in Dunnikier
In grave of son, Walter Brodie

Mgt Brodie
22 September 1808
Spouse to John Cusen, merchant/feuar in Dunnikier
In grave of mother, Christan Marchal and Mgt Cusan, her dau, south from Walter Toad's headstone
(next burial in grave - James Cusan October 1830)

Brodie
23 December 1818
Still-born child of Robert Brodie, mariner in Dunnikier

Brodie
8 March 1822
Still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor and feuar in Dunnikier
Head of grave of grandmother, Marey Ritchy

Brodie
18 June 1823
Still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor in Dunnikier

Brodie
19 September 1826

Jannet Brodie
25 December 1829 (72 yrs)
Sister-in-law of James Cusin in Dunnikier

Brodie
28 May 1830

Mgt Thomson
2 October 1847, 54 yrs
Spouse of Robert Brodie, seaman and feuar in Dunnikier

Shona
30-09-13, 15:59
Shona,
I have found three more children of William Brodie and Helen Kinloch; Elizabeth 1675, John 1686 and Margaret 1692.
I am thinking that your Brodies may well be allied to mine. How far back have you gone on your tree?

Sam

Hellen Kinloch married William Breddie, 7 February 1761, Dysart (FS)

Children of Helen and William (all on FS):

1 Marion, bp 10 March 1672, dau of William Breddie and Helen Killoch
2 John bp 1 August 1673, son of William Breddie and Helen Kinloch
3 Elisabeth bp 17 September 1675, dau of William Breddie and Helen Kenloch
4 William bp 31 August 1679, son of William Breddie and Helen Killoch
5 Alexander, son of William and Helen Kinloch baptised on 23 December 1683
6 Barbara Brydie, bp, 5 Oct 1690, to William Brydie and Helen Killoch

Also from deed: Margaret [Margaret Brydie, widow of John Ready, shipmaster, buried in Dysart, 6 September 1753].

I'm descended from the illegitimate daughter of Alexander Brodie, b Dysart, son of Robert Brodie and Grisel Thomson. He collected the port rates in Kirkaldy. Thankfully, the illegitimate daughter was named Alexandrina Brodie! However, while I have researched the Brodies for some time, I have hit a number of brick walls. The family do tend to use the same names over and over, so unravelling them can be tricky. And their insistence on hitching up with Thom(p)sons!

sam
01-10-13, 14:48
Many thanks again Shona. We are y looking at about three different Brodie families here I think. Thank you for the other children of William and Helen. The details of the deed yu sent me confused me because it read as if she married a James Brodie after William's death but I suspect that is just me reading it wrong. At least I now have her second husband's name.
The list of burials is interesting and from that my guess is that Walter Brodie and Elizabeth Ruthven had children: Alexander 1761, then possibly (or before) a Walter who died in 1764, then Elizabeth 1762-1766 and then another Walter who died in 1773 who was then buried alongside the first Walter and his sister Elizabeth.
I have ordered a copy of the Robert Brodie book though I'm not sure how much it will tell me. It looked to me from a previous post you sent that this Robert was born in 1739 and died in 1918 but I haven't been able to find a birth record with those dates and his piece about Mid Street stated that his grandparents had lived there.

Sam

sam
01-10-13, 22:02
Shona, I think I may have found Alexander in the 1871 census. if right, he is in Burnley, lodger at 17 Thorn Street and a School master. It says that he is 51 born abt 1820 Parkhead, Scotland. If you look at the original census form you can see that it could read Pathhead.

Sue

sam
01-10-13, 22:11
1881 Census - Alexander Brodie born c 1820 Scotland Boarder 61 Formerly Schoolmaster in Beverley Yorks.

Janet
02-10-13, 02:39
Nice finds, Sam. Our Tenterfield Julie might be interested to see that there are some Hirsts on the previous page of that Burnley 1871, just up the street at 5 Thorn. We were looking into some Hirsts in Burnley for her a while ago, a couple decades earlier than this though.

sam
02-10-13, 12:50
Hello Shona,
I know you are away at present but I wanted you to know that this morning I received the book I ordered by Robert Brodie. I am beginning to think that it might be my Robert. As you know it was published in 1863. The preface to the book was written by Robert in September 1863 (Robert died in October) In it he writes ' The author regrets very much that severe bodily indisposition has prevented him from giving his work that careful revision which otherwise he would have given it'.
Later in the book he recounts a story about his father, a mariner who was given leave because the frigate he was on needed to go into dry dock for repairs. He took the Kinghorn ferry where, whilst onboard he was overheard saying something political which the person who heard him though seditious. This person, as soon as he got home wrote a letter to a relative who was an officer representing this personas highly dangerous. A crew was sent to apprehend him but missed him because no sooner had the sailor (Alexander?) had got home, he received a letter telling him that the boat was not as bad as thought and that he was to return, which he did and escaped being caught!. I got the impression that the 'talk' had possibly been about press ganging because Robert went on to say how intense the local feeling was against it. Robert says that this was about 1798.
He also says that at that time circumstances was such that many men went to sea out of necessity but many returned to take on previous trades or visa versa which would account for the many entries of different trades.

If I discover more I will let you know. BY the way, Alexander born 1820 and found in the 1881 census in Beverley is correct! A death records shows that his father was named Robert brodie and a second cousin of mine (we share the same great grandparents (George Macarthur and Laura Brodie, who was Robert's granddaughter) grew up in Beverley in the same place as Alexander was living! We are both amazed by the coincidence.

Sam

sam
06-10-13, 21:49
Hi Shona,
I have finished the book, and it was really interesting. I am convinced that it was written by 'my' Robert. I suspect, as you said that it was published shortly after his death.

Sam

Shona
07-10-13, 16:41
Hi Shona,
I have finished the book, and it was really interesting. I am convinced that it was written by 'my' Robert. I suspect, as you said that it was published shortly after his death.

Sam

I'm so chuffed that it is your Robert Brodie who wrote the book. How amazing for you to have an account of the area your (and some of mine) ancestors lived in..written by one of them!

Did you get the book through inter-library loan?

sam
07-10-13, 17:46
Hello Shona,
I managed to buy a book from ebay. It was the last copy. It is a very small book and covers the history of Pathhead but is quite quirky in parts. The dedication at the front was written by Robert saying that he had spent a long life in the midst of them having spent forty years in the business of the Feuars. It was dated September 1863, which I think places his birthdate about right. Also the fact that he goes on to say that severe bodily indisposition has prevented him revising his work.
The thing that made me doubt at the beginning was the piece you sent entitled 'Impressions and memories of a Pathhead Laddie b 1839 D 1918. I assumed that it meant that he was born in 1839 and died in 1918.
I cant begin to tell you how excited I was reading the book.
But where do your Bodies fit in? Were they from Pathhead or kirkardy?
I have decided that the name Laurence, Robert's son and my great x 3 grandfather must have received his name via Margaret Thompson's family.
As you know I found Alexander, his brother in later censuses as a School Master but I simply haven't been able to find birth records for them or a death record for Alexander, certainly not on Ancestry which makes me think that he may have gone back to Scotland.
I must say, that without your help I couldn't have done all this, so many many thanks.

Sam