PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone find this girl please?

Heather P T
08-09-13, 07:34
Odd family this, too much detail will confuse you all, but my great (grand)aunt Emily Horstead married firstly in 1891 to a Fred Elinor - there were 4 kids, 1 Irene died at the age of 3, Beatrice lived with her grandparents, Fred junior went off with dad to Suffolk and lived with dad and a "housekeeper" and then there is this girl who I cant find what happened to her?

Emily Elinor nee Horstead says she is a widow in 1901 (working in a pub in Rotherhithe), no kids with her but Fred Elinor is alive and kicking in Suffolk. She goes on to live with an Alexander Davis Cooper - she has a first child with him in 1904 and they finally marry in 1916.

Emily Nellie Elinor
Baptism Date: 24 Jan 1900
Father's Name: Frederick John Elinor
Mother's Name: Emily Elinor
Parish or Poor Law Union: Rotherhithe All Saints
Borough: Southwark

I should add that Beatrice and Fred jnr were both baptised twice - with slight changes of name in Beatrice's case.

Can anyone see little Emily in the 1901 or dying please?

JessBow
08-09-13, 08:01
where is she in 1911?

Edit- you don't know that

note to self :

not to be confused with the Emily( nee Pearcey) married to Thomas Eliinor in 1891, also with a little Emily

Merry
08-09-13, 08:01
Heather, would you agree that this daughter, born 7th Jan 1900, was not registered with her father's surname?

Is her mum a servant, saying she is a widow, in 1901? (born 1869 in Rotherhithe)

JessBow
08-09-13, 08:10
What name does Emily nee Horsted use in 1911?

Merry
08-09-13, 08:21
Is Emily senr the one who marries Alexander Davis Cooper in 1916? Is she also living with him in 1911 but he is calling himself Alfred and they say they have been married for 9 years? (That Alfred has all the right details for Alexander!) - children are Ellen, Alic (sic), Maude and Herbert all aged 7 or under.

Merry
08-09-13, 08:26
Oh yes, as one son is Alexander Davis Cooper (Alic on the census)

So, still no nearer to Emily jr at the moment!

kiterunner
08-09-13, 11:23
I haven't found anything, but I wonder what the 19 means in the margin next to her baptism.

Heather P T
08-09-13, 12:39
Hi guys, sorry been out.

Yes, Emily shacked up with Alexander (known as Alfred) certainly from 1903 as the eldest girl born then

Kite, the 19 is probably days old? (Forget that, just had a look and its not :) but I dont think its particuarly anthing to do with Emily junior)

Yes Merry, mum is working in the Clarence pub saying she is a widow in 1901. Daughter BeatriceElinor is living with gran and grandad Horstead down the road .

Jess, I had that too re Emily. Oh and yes, she is baptised with her dads name given as above.

She cant just have disappeared, I wonder if she was unofficially adopted, but then, why? Emily senior has a number of children dying as infants with Alfred/Alex Cooper. But then, cant see a death for Emily junior.

Mind you, I cant see Fred John Edward Elinor (the son with Fred Elinor) in 1911 either but I found a marriage in 1937 for him and a death in the 70s in Birkenhead!

Merry
08-09-13, 18:26
She cant just have disappeared, I wonder if she was unofficially adopted, but then, why?

Because she needed to be breastfed, but her mother needed to work?

I wonder if the family broke up either before her birth or very soon after as Emily jr doesn't seem to have been registered which suggests to me some trauma going on that made the registration not seem very important.

HarrysMum
09-09-13, 05:43
I'll have a look after tea. Been so busy with grandies the last few weeks.

I have a soft spot for your Horsteads......lol
Not sure if you remember, Heather, but way back, the first week I ever tried Ancestry I found one of your Horsteads under Austin. I think it was GR days.
It was only because we had English neighbours named Austin and he pronounced his name "Orstin"

I thought I was so clever as you were the very first person I was ever able to help.....lol

Merry
09-09-13, 05:50
*Braces self for Libby to find Emily in five mins when I've been looking for ages* lol!!

maggie_4_7
09-09-13, 13:46
i had a look yesterday zilch though!

HarrysMum
11-09-13, 12:03
Merry....I wouldn't do yourself an injury bracing for too long. I can't find anything....

JessBow
12-09-13, 05:39
Bit of a long shot

There is a lavina E that marries in Hartismere in 1923-
she doesn't appear to be born....

Merry
12-09-13, 06:02
.......and there doesn't seem to be an earlier marriage between an El(l)inor and someone named Lavinia E something.

Pity this woman married a Smith! There are no deaths with the right date of birth for a Lav* Smith, but that's hardly surprising if there is no birth cert etc either.

Merry
12-09-13, 06:14
.......and there doesn't seem to be an earlier marriage between an El(l)inor and someone named Lavinia E something.

No Smith/El(l)inor births showing up after 1923 though.

EDIT: Bother, I missed this one before :o

Marriages Jun 1916
Ellinor Ernest J Pulford Hartismere 4a 1901
Pulford Lavina E Ellinor Hartismere 4a 1901

Ernest James Ellinor died in Belgium in 1917.

JessBow
12-09-13, 08:32
scuppered that one then