PDA

View Full Version : Another go at finding this lot.

HarrysMum
05-09-13, 20:54
Can anyone find, or suggest where to look for any info on the Addison family.

Agnes Addison married William Kirkby 5th Nov 1727 St Michael & All Angels, Hawkshead, Lancs.

Agnes was the daughter of Hugh Addison and Jane?

Hugh died in 1743. I have his will.

I also have a will of Robert Scale where a Hugh Addison is mentioned as his son in law, the husband of Jane. The dates fit perfectly with my Hugh Addison. I have penciled Jane Scale as Agnes' mother.

However.....I cannot find any birth for Agnes of her father Hugh.

If Jane Scale/s is her mother, that tree is done quite well.

I've tried Lancs OPC and anywhere else I can find.
Thanks.

Mary from Italy
05-09-13, 21:38
FreeReg has transcribed Hawkshead, but a search isn't bringing up anything obvious.

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl

Where was Jane from? Maybe the marriage and baptism took place in her parish?

HarrysMum
05-09-13, 21:42
Scales were from Hawkshead, but this lot had money, so anywhere is possible....lol

The Addisons, Scales, Kirkbys, Mackreths and Sawreys are all related mostly on the Lancs side of England.

Mary from Italy
05-09-13, 21:49
Have you ever got the Hawkshead PRs from the LDS so you could trawl through them yourself?

Merry
05-09-13, 22:11
How is this Hugh connected with the one who married Jane Chippindall?

Is this Hugh the one who was born about 1661?

HarrysMum
05-09-13, 22:41
No idea Merry.

My Hugh died 1743.

Robert Scales died in 1708. He mentions his son in law Hugh Addison husband of his daughter, Jane. He doesn't mention any children for them. That is fine for me as Agnes marries in 1727, so could well have been born after 1708.

HarrysMum
05-09-13, 23:38
Mary....I have gone through the PRs from Hawkshead.

Merry
06-09-13, 06:08
Is this Hugh the one who was born about 1661?

I got the year from this post on one of the old threads:

Got this?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=025-bdbroughton&cid=-1#-1

Affidavit of Hugh Addison of Hawkshead, gentleman aged 78 years BD Broughton/18/2/5 1739

Contents:
He lived in Broughton-in-Furness for 50 years and remembers the curates being Mr Wainhouse, Mr Muncaster, Mr Sidgewick, Mr Taylor and Mr Wright. Nomination was by the sidesmen and principal inhabitants of Broughton. The land owners and house owners of Seathwaite never interfered with the nominations, 9 August 1739.

That at least gives you an approximate birth year of 1661.

kiterunner
06-09-13, 07:39
Have you looked into the marriage of a Hugh Addison and Jane Askay 11 Feb 1698 at Crosthwaite and Lyth, Westmorland? (From FamilySearch)

HarrysMum
06-09-13, 11:29
No Kite, I haven't, but I will. Thanks.

I honestly think the Hugh Addison/ Jane Scales marriage is mine due to the names on the wills of both Hugh Addison (1743) and Jane Scale's father, Robert (1708).

kiterunner
06-09-13, 11:54
Oh sorry, I didn't realise you already had Hugh and Jane's marriage, Libby. What date (and where) was it, please, so we know the likely date range for Agnes' birth?

HarrysMum
06-09-13, 12:04
Sorry, Kite. Late at night here. I don't have that marriage. I have a 1708will of Robert Scales who names his daughter, Jane and er husband Hugh Addison.

Robert Scales was married to Agnes Mackreth. The Mackreths are also part of my lot, and Hugh and Jane Addison's daughter is Agnes. I just cannot prove that my Agnes Adison is. The daughter of Jane Scales or another Hugh Addison and Jane.

I am surprised They are not on Lancs OPC. I also have a copy of the PR book from Hawkshead and they are not there.

kiterunner
06-09-13, 12:37
So Jane Askay could be Jane Scales, then.

HarrysMum
06-09-13, 19:38
Yes...I suppose she could.

I'm up now and not on my ipad so will check.

HarrysMum
06-09-13, 19:42
Just had a look....Pity they don't give family names. I'll look around. I think though, if he's mine, there would have been children (mentioned as grandchildren) on Robert Scales will. He mentions other grandchildren.

Hugh only mentions Agnes as his child on his will as well, although others could have died.