PDA

View Full Version : Godparents in the 16th and 17th Centuries

ElizabethHerts
05-09-13, 17:51
A couple of months ago I purchased a CD which includes the transcriptions of the parish registers of Bletchington, Oxfordshire.

I took all the obvious information from the registers, but now I have been extracting the names of godparents for my families, and my head is spinning.

The vicar recorded godparents from 1602, with a few gaps, and continued until 1646. The Civil War and Interregnum seem to have caused him a lot of problems in recording information, but in 1675 they start again, until 1708. They really are a mine of information. The boys have two godfathers and one godmother; the girls one godfather and two godmothers. Quite often a family relationship is given - e.g. sister of the father. Very often the child is named after one of the godparents, even if no family relationship is given.

e.g.
Nov 16 HORNE John s Robert & Anne
G/p:
John Horne, the father’s brother
John Webster, the mother’s brother
Ursula Silversyde

Ursula Silverside is in my tree.
She is named as godmother five times!

If only all vicars had done the same.
It has really helped me work out marriages and children.
If a woman is named as godmother it helpfully states "wife of x".:D

Merry
05-09-13, 18:17
*attempts not to feel jealous* :rolleyes:

Is it just the one parish as far as you know?

kiterunner
05-09-13, 18:21
Wow, some parish registers from that time don't even bother to tell you the parents' names, never mind godparents.

ElizabethHerts
05-09-13, 18:26
I haven't seen it for any other parish, Merry.
Each CD has 6 or 7 parishes.

I've just looked at Upper Heyford on the same CD and no godparents are given, although some extra information appears from time to time.
E.g. "howsholder", "tenant", "freeholder".
If you know what "generous" means beside a baptism, let me know!

I think Bletchington had a nice vicar.
We went there last week. It is a lovely village. Someone came and opened the church for us, and I was talking to her about the Civil War because they were in the thick of it there. The woman said when she got married there they were having photos taken outside the door and the vicar pointed out all the pock marks in t he wall where the Roundheads had shot on the church. There was still a bullet embedded in the wall.

ElizabethHerts
05-09-13, 18:30
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/lambelizabeth/P1150855_zps08568b83.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/lambelizabeth/media/P1150855_zps08568b83.jpg.html)

Here is the wall outside the main door of the church.

ElizabethHerts
05-09-13, 18:33
Just for Silverside there are many entries.

This doesn't include Silverside babies being baptised who don't have Silverside godparents.

ElizabethHerts
05-09-13, 18:36
Kate, it's very helpful because at the beginning of the PRs only the child's name is given and no parents (1500s). In the 1600s you are lucky to get a mother's name at first, so it has named a few of the wives I didn't have.

kiterunner
05-09-13, 18:36
If you know what "generous" means beside a baptism, let me know!

One of the definitions in Chambers Dictionary is "nobly born (obs)".

JBee
05-09-13, 22:08
That's why I like RC parish records as they usually record the godparents and I can then work out the relationships.

One RC parish in Hartlepool in 1860 gave me the bride and grooms mother's christian names - which was great - unfortunately didn't say where in Ireland they were from though!!!!

Asa
07-09-13, 19:05
That must be wonderful. Threadneedle Street French church names godparents although not the relationship and it can be really helpful.