PDA

View Full Version : FTM 2010 query

geniebug
01-09-13, 04:30
I am using FTM 2010 VERSION 19.0.0.180

I have messed my tree up and a bit wary of detaching someone in case I lose that person altogether.

This is the story
Charles Burgess married Elizabeth Evans.
Charles's parents are Charles Burgess & Ann Brown.
Elizabeth Evan's parents are Joseph Evans & Mary Miller
For Joseph Evans parents (which I haven't entered) - I have Charles Burgess & Elizabeth Evans duh!

How can I safely remove the wrong Charles Burgess as Josephs parents, without losing the right Charles Burgess's information?

Margaret in Burton
01-09-13, 07:49
Back the tree up anyway, always best to do this before you tinker.

Detaching a person will not delete them or their info, they are still there just sort of floating. If you decide you want to attach them again or somewhere else on your tree you can do so.
Detaching is not the same as deleting.

geniebug
01-09-13, 07:57
Ok Marg, I just wanted someone to give me confidence - what you say makes sense - thank you.

geniebug
02-09-13, 01:24
I am using FTM 2010 VERSION 19.0.0.180

I have messed my tree up and a bit wary of detaching someone in case I lose that person altogether.

This is the story
Charles Burgess married Elizabeth Evans.
Charles's parents are Charles Burgess & Ann Brown.
Elizabeth Evan's parents are Joseph Evans & Mary Miller
For Joseph Evans parents (which I haven't entered) - I have Charles Burgess & Elizabeth Evans duh!

How can I safely remove the wrong Charles Burgess as Josephs parents, without losing the right Charles Burgess's information?Marg - it wasnt as easy as it looks.

Can ANYONE help

I click on Joseph Evans and am only giving an option of adding a father, which I already have (inadvertently Charles Burgess Jnr) but if I click on Charles Burgess's name, it reverts back to
Charles Burgess/Elizabeth Evans with all their children and heaps of other information.
Above Elizabeths name I have her parents as Joseph Evans/Mary Miller, with (wrongly) Charles & Elizabeth above Josephs name. I made up a dummy parent for Joseph - but when I ask to add it, it says he already has a father.:mad:

Charles Burgess/Elizabeth Evans (wrong) ... James Miller/Mary ?

Joseph Evans Mary Miller

Then Josephs 3 children one of whom is Elizabeth Evans
Click on Elizabeth Evans and you get
??
?Charles Burgess ........ Elizabeth Evans
??
??The one in blue I want to delete without losing the one in black.
??I can’t detach him and dont know if I delete him from where it is in blue, whether I’d lose him where he is in black
??

Margaret in Burton
02-09-13, 07:45
Not on my laptop so can't check my FTM but can't you DETACH the child from the parents?

Merry
02-09-13, 08:55
Not on my laptop so can't check my FTM but can't you DETACH the child from the parents?

I have never used FTM, but I think many tree programs work similarly. I agree with Marg - on my program a link can be deleted between an individual and their spouse/partner or between an individual and their child(ren) but you can't delete the link between an individual and their parent(s).

geniebug
02-09-13, 10:01
I actually want to delete or detach Joseph Evan's father who is mistakenly shown as his father, but is actually his son in law.
If I delete the "father- would that person also be deleted as his son in law?

kiterunner
02-09-13, 10:05
I haven't got that particular version of FTM but I do have some other ones. Hopefully it is like one or other.
FTM 2006: Get the family displayed on the screen with Charles and Elizabeth at the top and Joseph listed under children. Click on Joseph's name, then click on "People" at the top, then hover the cursor over "Fix Relationship" in the menu that pops up, and select "Detach child" when the submenu appears.

FTM 2011 - get the family on the display as above, click on Joseph's name, then click on "Person" on the second row of the screen, hover the cursor over "Attach/Detach Person" and select "Detach Selected Person" when the submenu appears. Then it will give you a list of families to detach him from and you should select the family of Charles, Elizabeth and Joseph.

Does either of those methods work for FTM 2010?

geniebug
02-09-13, 11:20
That did not help Kate, first of all I wasn't given the option of "fix relationship" and when I clicked on Joseph Evans, - Person - attach/detach person - detach select person it says only - select the family from which you want to detach Joseph Evans, and it says Father Joseph Evans, Mother Mary Miller, children 1 2 & 3. No sign of detaching Charles Burgess

kiterunner
02-09-13, 13:06
What happens if you click on Charles Burgess instead and choose to "detach selected person"? Does it give you the choice of the Charles / Elizabeth / Joseph family then?

Chris in Sussex
02-09-13, 19:41
I have had a similar problem with 2010 adding random parents to individuals. I know I haven't added them by mistake.

Like you I couldn't detach the wrong parents as they were not showing when I went to add/detach parent!

After frantically googling I only found answers that suggested it wasn't a problem with FTM but us users adding in error....Well there seems to be an awful lot of people making the same error:(

I finally found this solution on the FTM2010 Message Boards posted by ColleenMcCann27 and it works for me.....

"The best "solution" I found is to create a new fake set of parents for Richard, perhaps Fred and Ethel by having Richard highlighted, then go to Person-> Add Person -> Add Father-> Fred->ok. Then go back to Richard and view his relationships. Make Fred the preferred father (he may be by default anyway) Now go back to your charts where you were seeing the phantom parents and only Fred should be there. Now go to Edit and click on "undo create person Fred". You may have to do both Fred and Ethel or just one to make the phantom set go away."

I created fake parents as X and Y so making them easy to find in the person lists. I do seem to remember that I couldn't get them to delete by using 'undo create person' so I just used 'delete person'

Worth a try.
Good luck
Chris

geniebug
02-09-13, 21:24
In answer to your suggestion Kate, when I click on Josephs parents (in this case, the wrong Charles), it opens up Charles as the son in law again.

I did actually make up a new set of parents for Joseph, but it still ignored me. I'll have another go though

geniebug
02-09-13, 21:30
Well I made new parents for Joseph, but when I open up the tree, Charles Burgess is still showing as Joseph Evan's father.

If I go down to Charles's part of the tree, I'm afraid if I detach him I'm going to mess up the whole tree.

The options are - detach from Charlaes Burgess and Ann Brown (his real parents)

or detach from him, his wife and all his children.

Margaret in Burton
02-09-13, 21:52
All I can suggest then Jood is to make a note of all the info you have on him and delete him then add where he's supposed to be.

geniebug
02-09-13, 22:01
But Charles Burgess is my direct line, I'd mess up everything, I'm sure :(

The problem is, if I click on Charles (as being the father of Joseph - which he isn't as Joseph is an Evans) - I revert back to Charles being the son-in-law of Joseph which is correct. It will only delete Charles as being the son-in-law of Joseph Evans, the husband of Elizabeth Evans - I don't know if it will remove him as the father of Joseph Evans tho. There is too much information at stake.

I know what you are saying tho Marg.

kiterunner
02-09-13, 22:19
It doesn't sound as though deleting Charles would be a good idea. Would it be possible to delete Joseph and then add him again, or are there too many people and pieces of information attached to him as well?

geniebug
02-09-13, 22:40
Kate, you helped me enormously. I saved his (Joseph's) notes, and wrote down birth death details separately, deleted him and therefore Charles disappeared as his father.

Charles is back where he should be, as Joseph's son-in-law, and Joseph now has new parents.

Many many thanks. It did not ask me anything about his wife or kids, so I didnt lose anything, just have to type Joseph's info back in again. :D