PDA

View Full Version : Bunhill Fields burial records

Merry
25-08-13, 18:08
BK6 updated from this thread

I have the will (PCC copy) of John Corrie. It was signed on 14th May 1774 and probate was granted on 3rd June 1774. In the will he states:

"I John Corrie Citizen and Cordwainer of London do make this my Last Will and Testament as follows I desire to be buried in Bunhill Fields Burying Ground in the County of Middlesex as near the remains of my late Dear Mother as conveniently may be and to have a plain Tomb Stone erected over my grave on which to be written as well my name as that of my Dear Mother lately interred there"

So, I looked on FMP for the burial, but I can't see him (and I don't know who he mother was)!!

His family were from Edmonton/Enfield which are on the LMA, but he doesn't seem to be there either. The Probate mentions he was also "of St Michael's, Cornhill, London and Fulham in the County of Middlesex" too.

I don't know what his age would have been but he had only been married three years and his widow was aged about 24/25 in 1774.

Can anyone see him anywhere?

Merry
25-08-13, 18:17
Looks like he entered into an apprenticeship in 1761 and at that date his father, also John Corrie, perriwig maker of St Bartholomew the Less, was dec'd.

Asa
25-08-13, 18:18
I can only see a John Corrie of Lumber Street buried at Bunhill Fields in 1771 so far

Asa
25-08-13, 18:26
On 15th May 1774, "A Flat Stone laide one the Currie grave" £6-6 but there's no burial entry

Merry
25-08-13, 18:27
Hmmm....well, unless he returned from the dead to write the will!

I know the date in the (transcribed) will could be wrong, but he named his daughter in it and she wasn't born until 1772.

Thanks for looking Asa. I couldn't see any female Corries buried there either in the previous few years. I suppose his mother might have had a different surname as his father had been dead some years at least.

Merry
25-08-13, 18:27
On 15th May 1774, "A Flat Stone laide one the Currie grave" £6-6 but there's no burial entry

Oooh, that's interesting. Thank you so much.

Merry
25-08-13, 18:33
So, the day after he wrote his will they installed a gravestone!! Fast work!

HarrysMum
25-08-13, 23:34
There's a Mr Corrie buried at Bunhills but not until 16th June 1774.

A few female Corries buried there in the right time frame for his mother.

HarrysMum
25-08-13, 23:36
Hang on....... the image says "Mr Corrie from Fulham in a grave" and 13 shillings in the money column. That could be him.

Merry
26-08-13, 07:30
Perhaps the Probate date should say July not June, or 23rd not 3rd!!

That definitely sounds right otherwise. Thank you very much Libby.

Phoenix
26-08-13, 07:57
Just a couple of practical points which I can't get my head around:

A headstone cannot be erected until the earth has settled (about a year) after a burial.

Laying a stone suggests a vault. The Currie grave again suggests a vault.

Lots of people arranged for their monuments in their lifetime, so it may well have put a sick man's mind at ease to see the stone there in his life time.

But, if he is asking to be buried near his mother, does this imply moving the coffins around?:eek:

Merry
26-08-13, 08:17
Goodness knows, Phoenix!

Could it be that the family vault was full when his mother was buried so he knew he would have to be placed "as near......as conveniently may be" to her, rather than in the same vault?

I keep wondering if he saved money by having his own inscription done before his death??!!

HarrysMum
26-08-13, 09:56
Goodness knows, Phoenix!

Could it be that the family vault was full when his mother was buried so he knew he would have to be placed "as near......as conveniently may be" to her, rather than in the same vault?

I keep wondering if he saved money by having his own inscription done before his death??!!

Maybe he spent his last days on his sick bed whittling away at his headstone. Creepy...

Janet
26-08-13, 14:27
Perhaps the Probate date should say July not June, or 23rd not 3rd!!

???

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?uri=D455658)

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u533/pix4janet/pix%20to%20post/Merry_zps593ffd96.jpg

Merry
26-08-13, 18:50
lol! OK, let's go with that then!! I did say the will transcript might have the wrong date, but it never occurred to me to look there!