PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Partridge and Mary Unknown

Lindsay
24-08-13, 09:56
Anthony Partridge was baptised 1 Feb 1761 Kingsteignton, Devon, parents John and Elizabeth Partridge.

No marriage found. I know nothing about his wife, Mary.

They baptised 9 children at Kingsteignton, Devon 1781-1796.

Anthony died 26 March 1840 at Kingsteignton, Devon, age 81. His occupation was given as labourer.

Shona
24-08-13, 13:10
Lindsay, I can't track down a marriage between Anthony and Mary in Devon. Would a death cert for one of the children mention Mary's maiden name?

Looking at Anthony's parents, there is this possible marriage in Kingsteignton (from Family Search):

John Partridge married Elizabeth Bowden on 2 June 1751.

There's also John Partridge marrying Elizabeth Launder on 10 August 1766, also in Kingsteignton. Another John or a second marriage?

Lindsay
24-08-13, 15:09
Thanks, Shona. I had Elizabeth Bowden pencilled in as likely, but I'd missed that possible 2nd marriage for John - you could well be right, as the last child I found for John and Elizabeth was born in 1763.

I wish English death certs did give details of the mother's maiden name!

Shona
24-08-13, 15:29
I wish English death certs did give details of the mother's maiden name!

I've spent too long this week looking at Scottish records where mmn is recorded!

Lindsay
17-06-14, 19:26
Update:

Marriage at St James the Less, West Teignmouth, Devon: Anthony Paltryge, mariner of Kingsteignton, and Mary Carlyon, widow of this parish, married by licence 2 Dec 1781.
Both signed X.
Witnesses Edward Brownscombe and Rich Medland (serial witness)

Their first child was baptised 3 weeks later - no wonder the vicar noted that the child was 'born soon after marriage'!