PDA

View Full Version : National Archives help please

Sue from Southend
23-08-13, 07:52
Can someone remind me how to find out if TNA hold any ships muster records etc for a man of war, Bristol, for the period around 1757?

I'm sure I've done something similar before (different ship/man) but can't remember how ;(

ElizabethHerts
23-08-13, 08:08
I entered "ship's muster Bristol" and got some hits, Sue:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=ship%27s+muster+Bristol&_sd=yyyy&_ed=yyyy

You'd have to plough through the results, as some are obviously not relevant, but there are some early dates there.

Sue from Southend
23-08-13, 08:14
Now I'm feeling really stupid, Elizabeth! I tried HMS Bristol and dates but got loads of stuff about Bristol! I thought you had to have relevant ADM numbers etc.

Thank you. In my defence I did get back from holiday only yesterday.....:d

ElizabethHerts
23-08-13, 08:16
Some of the hits I got are about the port of Bristol, but there are notes of muster books being sent home.

I hope you had a great holiday - were you in France visiting the family?

Sue from Southend
23-08-13, 08:20
Not this time. We were in Spain/Portugal for my son's wedding! I'll try and get some photos up if I can remember how!

ElizabethHerts
23-08-13, 08:23
Not this time. We were in Spain/Portugal for my son's wedding! I'll try and get some photos up if I can remember how!

Fantastic! That has come round fast. I bet you had a great time. It's lovely to have the whole family together.

annswabey
23-08-13, 10:15
Ship: Bristol

Navy Board: Navy Pay Office: Ships' Pay Books (Series I). Ship: Bristol.

Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Date range: 10 July 1755 - 20 November 1759
Reference:ADM 33/547
Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Navy
Browse by hierarchy | Browse by reference

Ship: BRISTOL

Admiralty: Royal Navy Ships' Musters (Series I). Ship: BRISTOL.

Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Date range: 01 July 1756 - 31 October 1757
Reference:ADM 36/5039
Browse by hierarchy | Browse by reference

Ship: BRISTOL

Admiralty: Royal Navy Ships' Musters (Series I). Ship: BRISTOL.

Date range: 01 July 1757 - 31 October 1758
Reference:ADM 36/5040

The above seem to be the right ones

Sue from Southend
23-08-13, 13:39
Thanks Ann. That certainly looks to be the right records. I just need to find time to get to Kew!

Just out of interest - would you know whether the above records would tell me if he served on board any other ships etc?

annswabey
23-08-13, 16:09
Yes, they should give previous ship