PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk records question

Phoenix
18-08-13, 12:11
I have an ancestor who died in Stibbard, Norfolk, about 1692. Unfortunately, the parish registers start in 1773 (marriages 1754) and the archdeacons' transcripts start in 1725.

I cannot believe that Stibbard submitted NO archdeacons' transcripts before that date. Those after seem to be done by the curate, suggesting that the vicar/rector always had more interesting things to do.

Is this simply a case of absentee minister? Was it a peculiar prior to 1725? Was the church in poor condition and the services held elsewhere?

Can anyone suggest where I can find out the answers to such questions?

Nell
18-08-13, 12:58
I can't help Phoenix, though if I fall over Stibbard in my Norfolk research I'll let you know.
Maybe you could contact one of the organisations listed here:
http://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK/places/parish_links.shtml#church_rec

I have similar probs with Hardley, Norfolk.

Phoenix
18-08-13, 13:04
Thanks, Nell. Somewhere I have a book that lists what is available for each parish, which might suggest alternative routes. Even the manorial stuff seems mainly in private hands. If I can find my photos of Hearth Tax exemption certificates (book out next year, I think) that might provide other clues.

kiterunner
18-08-13, 14:01
On FamilySearch it says that the early Archdeacon's Transcripts for some parishes have not survived.

Phoenix
18-08-13, 14:45
In most, you find the early 1600s survive, with varying gaps through the upheavals of that century, but by the 1690s they are pretty much complete.

The current ordering is, I think very modern. I seem to remember that before they were filmed they were arranged presumably by year and deanery, like the Bishops Transcripts. Even at a fairly early date, registers say "presented at the visitation" or similar. I would have assumed that the Archdeacons would have chased up persistent backsliders (and 125 years is quite a long time) unless there were a reason not to.

tenterfieldjulie
18-08-13, 22:06
Do you know if all the Norwich records have survived? (esp early 1800 baptisms) Julie

kiterunner
18-08-13, 22:45
There are / were a lot of different parishes in Norwich, Julie. You would have to check the dates available for each one.

Oakum Picker
24-08-13, 09:11
Phoenix
According to Phillimore the Soc. Gen. have copies of Stibbard registers from 1691.

Julie
There are 30+ parishes in Norwich but the originals of most are on Family Search - worth a look over a limited timescale.

tenterfieldjulie
24-08-13, 09:47
Thanks Glen I did have a look a couple of years ago on Family search, but the only one that came up then was the wrong one. I think at the time I did see that a couple parishes hadn't been copied, but they might be now. Thanks Julie