PDA

View Full Version : Lillias Raeside and William Peterson

Shona
16-08-13, 13:09
This couple may be the parents of Margaret Peterson.

Lillias Raeside was baptised on 9 March 1701 in Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland. Parents were James Raeside (weaver of Drumlemmil*) and Jenat Wyllie.

Lillias Raeside married WIlliam Peterson in October 1834 in Campbeltown.

The following children were baptised in Campbeltown:
1 Martha, October 1735
2 James, 16 May 1740
3 Margaret, 10 June 1744
4 Alexander, 18 June 1737

* Trial of John 'Bocan' Weir, 1710
JBW was 'ane habitual thief and picker' from Inanmore. In October 1709, he and accomplice, Neil McIlglash, stole 13 sheep from William Flemming of Garvachie. About Lammas 1709, John Bocan Weir then stole 'ane coll seck' at Coalhill and in which he carried off a quantity of kail plants taken from the kailyard of Drumlemmil weaver, James Raeside. The jury of 15 farmers and gentlemen found JBW guilty on 23 June 1710. 'John Weir alias Bocan to be taken to the ordinary place of execution on Friday the fifteenth day of September next betwixt two and five o'clock in the afternoon and then and there to be hanged on ane gibbet till he be dead.'

I think that Drumlemmil above is the modern village of Drumlemble, about four miles from Campbeltown.

It's the weaving connection that makes me feel that Lilias Raeside and William Peterson are the right couple, as there are other weavers in this branch.

Link to Margaret Peterson:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17885&highlight=Margaret+Peterson

The trial info is from Angus Martin, author of Kintyre Country Life.

Shona
19-08-13, 16:22
Not sure if these people are linked, but I'm recording the info here in case they are.

Land rental records

John Rayside, house and yard in Loch heid.

John Wyllie, house and smiddie in Campbeltown

8 Oct 1708
James Wharry, John McPharlan, Hugh Barr, John Wilson, James Rasyde, tenants in Pollywilling, 5 mkland of Polliwilling

Can't find any mention of either name in the 1694 hearth tax records.