PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Gwynne and Shona!!

Merry
14-08-13, 15:59
.......following reading Gwynne's thread on general about Sigismunda Beckford and Shona prompting me to remember I had a Beckford connected to one of my Harveys on my tree, I was having a little search around my Harvey lines and found a little conundrum from years ago that I'd never solved, but now have!

Thomas Dymond died in 1831 and in his will he stated:

".... By the Canon Law of the Church of England my marriage with my present wife Ann formerly Ann Harvey spinster is illegal and in order to prevent all claims which might hereafter be made by any of my relatives or other persons whatsoever to any part of my Estate or effects....."

In those pre-internet days I had never found a marriage for Thomas to anyone (including Ann Harvey!) and wondered what the situation had been.

Now the wonders of ancestry have shown me that in 1794 at Melcombe Regis Thomas Dymond married Elizabeth Harvey who was Ann's sister and Ann was one of the witnesses at the ceremony.

The marriage of Thomas and Elizabeth seems to have ended with Elizabeth's death in 1800. They don't appear to have had any living children.

In 1803 widower Thomas, his sister-in-law, Ann (who was probably pregnant for the first time and at least 38 years of age), and two of her brothers travelled from Melcombe Regis in Dorset to St Dunstan's church in Stepney (120 miles by stagecoach??) where Thomas and Ann were married by licence, witnessed by the two brothers. Thomas stated he was a bachelor otp at that time! (I wonder if he felt any guilt when he signed the marriage bond stating there was no known impediment to the forthcoming marriage, including consanguinity?!!)

After their illegal marriage Thomas and Ann settled back in Melcombe Regis where they had two sons. The first died soon after his baptism and the second lived to be 20, but still died before his parents.

This second child, Benjamin Thomas Dymond is one of the reasons I became interested in family history. I already had his records sorted out a fe years ago, but thought you might like to see his picture (clearly by a not particularly talented artist!)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/My%20Family%20History%20Photos/ThomasDymond_zpsb8d8eaa0.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/merry_monty_montgomery/media/My%20Family%20History%20Photos/ThomasDymond_zpsb8d8eaa0.jpg.html)

On the reverse my 2xg-grandmother has written:

"This likeness of (Benjamin) Thomas Dymond was taken at the age of 3 years. He was 1st cousin (actually second cousin) of George Henry Buck (her husband) of Weymouth. He lived to the age of 20 years and 3 months when it pleased God to take him hence to the sorrow of his devoted parents."

Today I also found a photo of a plaque commemorating Benjamin and his parents and maternal grandparents in Fordington church in Dorchester.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fordingtondorset/Files/FordingtonWillsBennettHarvey1807.html

So, I'm very chuffed. Thanks Gwynne and Shona!!

Margaret in Burton
14-08-13, 17:03
Well done Merry and well done Gwynne and Shona.

I wonder if Peter Henry Harrison will suddenly crop up somewhere when no one is expecting it? :p

Merry
14-08-13, 17:07
Everything is possible Marg!! :D

Guinevere
14-08-13, 18:23
Who'd have thought an entry in a Suffolk Parish record, read on a reader in Coventry would lead to a marriage in Stepney?

I have an ancestor who did that as well. His wife (my ancestor) died and off he and her sister went to London to marry.

borobabs
14-08-13, 19:59
Good work lasses well done

ElizabethHerts
14-08-13, 22:48
Merry, what a great story. It's strange how research sometimes develops. You can neglect a branch for ages, and then some spark sets it off again.

Merry
14-08-13, 23:18
Elizabeth, When I get a chance I'm going to go through Ann Harvey/Dymond's will as she is one of those who leaves each bed sheet and pillow to a different distant relative! When I first got her will, Dorset was so difficult to research pre-1841 that I couldn't do much with it, so I shall have great fun tying up lots of loose ends!!!

Nell
17-08-13, 13:50
Merry

I am so pleased for you! Quite often going back to a problem makes it easier to solve. Just don't get me started on men who marry sisters - remember my ex's lot - 4 sisters who between them marry 2 sets of brothers. Then one of the widows marries the widower of her sister [both claiming to be single on the marriage cert].

Nell
17-08-13, 13:51
P.S. I love the picture - even if it isn't a masterpiece, its charming and at least you know who it is!

Shona
17-08-13, 14:24
P.S. I love the picture - even if it isn't a masterpiece, its charming and at least you know who it is!

Perhaps it was a self-portrait. :D

Merry
17-08-13, 19:17
Perhaps it was a self-portrait. :D

Painted when he was three? Very talented, in that case!! lol

Kit
18-08-13, 04:09
Thomas Dymond died in 1831 and in his will he stated:

".... By the Canon Law of the Church of England my marriage with my present wife Ann formerly Ann Harvey spinster is illegal and in order to prevent all claims which might hereafter be made by any of my relatives or other persons whatsoever to any part of my Estate or effects....."

So what did his will state to fend off unwanted relatives?

I'm also happy you solved the mystery.

Phoenix
18-08-13, 09:06
Merry will tell us in due course, but it is probably to prevent greedy relations carving up the state by specifically leaving stuff to Ann, so she was protected after death.

Merry
18-08-13, 10:49
So what did his will state to fend off unwanted relatives?

I'm a bit confused :o:o:o

The bit I quoted is the bit he stated in his will to fend off potential claimants! The rest just says he leaves everything to Ann.

Kit
20-08-13, 09:05
I thought there was more to what he said than what you typed.

Merry
20-08-13, 09:20
I suppose with no surviving legal wife and no surviving legitimate children, he was protecting his estate from his next of kin who I presume would be his siblings or their descendants (I haven't looked at them to see who outlived Thomas).

I still haven't got round to looking at Ann's will to see where her bed linen went!