PDA

View Full Version : 3 wills have arrived

ElizabethHerts
13-08-13, 19:53
In a fit of excitement I ordered three wills from the Borthwick Institute for OH's Thompson line.

They arrived today. What a shame that I spent my money, because the day after I ordered them I discovered that I was pursuing the wrong line, and that OH's Thompsons were very unlikely to have left wills at all.

The family I wrongly researched would be a very satisfying one to pursue.

Now, do I go to the trouble of transcribing them (probably at least 12 pages) and what do I do with them?

Phoenix
13-08-13, 20:09
Time taken transcribing is never wasted (if you have it in the first place!) as you are practising your skills.

Why not post them here, for the spiders (and hopefully a researcher!) to find?

What a shame they are not your OH's family, though!

ElizabethHerts
13-08-13, 20:17
Phoenix, I know I will transcribe them, as I won't be able to resist it. I'll probably do as you suggest and post the details of testators and beneficiaries and any other pertinent details, in the hope someone spots them, then I can send them the transcriptions (but not the copies).

It was a case of two girls born at the same time, in the same area (within 3 miles of each other) and having the same name. I'm still not 100% sure who the parents of our Anne Thompson are.

Olde Crone
13-08-13, 21:54
This is where Tribal Pages comes in handy!

I very often find myself up the wrong tree and as I cannot bear to waste any research, I post it on my TP tree as a mini tree, a floater.

This can have drawbacks. I posted a tree which eventually spread out to about 40 people. It was sparked off by a Will which didn't have anything to do with mine, but MIGHT have. Someone contacted me and was furiously rude when he discovered that these weren't my relatives and I knew nothing more than I had posted.

"You ******* name collectors, you just want to have a bigger tree than anyone else and you don't care if youre(sic) tree is right or wrong."

OC