PDA

View Full Version : Finding new rellies

Phoenix
11-08-13, 17:40
*Bounces*

Just back from a week in Norfolk. One little pack of title deeds has helped me to an extra four generations on one line, and some manorial documents helped confirm two on another.

I was allowed a day and a half in the record office. I'm already planning the next visit!

kiterunner
11-08-13, 17:51
Wow, that's good, Phoenix.

Phoenix
11-08-13, 17:59
I was chatting to the man on reception, and they now catalogue documents as soon as they arrive, rather than letting them build up. The title deeds were effectively a whole load of marriage settlements.

The only down side was that nobody told me how to use the photocopier for wills etc until I'd messed up most of my credits. I am currently working through all the photos I took to catalogue them properly before I forget what they were. There's enough unique material to keep me happy for weeks:D

ElizabethHerts
11-08-13, 18:34
So pleased for you, Phoenix. Have fun collating and recording all the information.

I'm interested in the manorial documents as I've decided I need to use them in future, but have no idea what to expect.

You remind me of my daughter. :d:) When she is excited she sends me e-mails with "bounce, bounce, bounce". (Brought up on a diet of A.A. Milne long before she came across the Disney versions.)

Lindsay
11-08-13, 19:26
That's brilliant, Phoenix, and so satisfying to go back several generations in one go!

Enjoy sorting out all your finds :)

Phoenix
11-08-13, 20:11
I was reprimanded at school for my Tigger impersonations!

Manorial documents can be extremely timeconsuming, particularly the older ones, in Latin, but I knew of an index of admissions and surrenders which neatly prove a tree AND indicate the existence of a will which hasn't found its way to the obvious repositories, but is likely to have at least part copied out in the records.

Lindsay, I had really thought I had come to the end of the line on a lot of branches, and now the tree is expanding again in all directions.

ElizabethHerts
11-08-13, 20:59
What date(s) have you got back to, Phoenix?

Phoenix
11-08-13, 21:10
The title deeds ranged from the 1790s to the 1640s. I already had a baptism in 1696, but the documents take me back to her great grandmother's marriage in 1648, I have the will for ggmother's grandfather and due to spelling inconsistencies, didn't spot what looks to be his father's will in 1600. The manorial stuff is all in the 1600s too.

I cannot believe just how many names I collected in such a short period of time. Now I've got to convert them into real people.

ElizabethHerts
11-08-13, 21:12
It sounds really exciting, Phoenix. I might try doing the same for my Lincolnshire lot. I have a fair bit on them, but it might fill in the gaps.

Lynn the Forest Fan
11-08-13, 21:47
Wow, that is impressive!

Olde Crone
11-08-13, 21:50
TIP: If you are faced with Manorial documents (or any other kind of document for that matter) in Latin - ask at the desk if anyone has translated it. Very often they have! If not, ask if there are "mirror" agreements - they may have been already translated if the family was more important than yours!

I have been very lucky that nearly all the Manorial documents I've used, were in English. The Holdens must have had something against Latin......

OC

Merry
12-08-13, 08:00
That all sounds very exciting Phoenix!

What sort of people get a mention in these manorial records? Can you give some examples of what they might say?

Olde Crone
12-08-13, 10:31
Merry

Most of mine have concerned either land agreements or marriage agreements but there are some other oddities, like an estate administration book, which gave details of crop yields, in-house discipline and best of all Courts Leet, which make utterly riveting reading. (If not actually furthering one's own personal research, lol).

One very early document (1200s) noted, in amongst other day to day stuff, the birth of "my sonne" which I found very moving for some daft reason.

OC

JBee
12-08-13, 10:51
So envious of those who can go back so far. Most of mine stuck in early 1800's with no property or wills to find.

Kit
12-08-13, 11:16
Very happy for you Phoenix. Enjoy sorting it all out.

Nell
12-08-13, 14:22
Pleased for you Phoenix. I hope to get up to Norfolk Archives again some day. I was in Norwich on Friday but only for a shopping trip.

Merry
12-08-13, 18:55
So envious of those who can go back so far. Most of mine stuck in early 1800's with no property or wills to find.

Same here Julie. As soon as I don't have a place of birth from the census to go on, most of my lines dry up.

Phoenix
12-08-13, 20:53
I started my research on my mother's side, where burials often gave maiden names for the mothers of old men, so thought everything would be easy. All my father's side seem to die in the 1840s, without a clue as to where they came from (and those that I can get back all seem to have come from parishes where the church records were destroyed in fires and manorial stuff is in private hands).

Please bear in mind that this is the first full day of research I have done since the old record office burned down 1st August 1994!

Manorial records are a bran tub. First, the rcords might not survive. Then they might be in different repositories in three or four different counties. What you want is someone using their will to direct who gets the copyhold. The will is then almost certainly in English, copied into the records, and often not survivng anywhere else.

To find out what might be available, follow this link: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/ and if the county you are interested in is indexed, go to advanced search, enter the name of the parish, and see what comes up.

Olde Crone
12-08-13, 21:46
I agree with that Phoenix - I know that a huge chunk of stuff is in private hands, I even know where it is, but fat chance of ever getting hold of it.

Another useful chunk is in the RC archives at Stoneyhurst. Some is online but most isn';t and again, no chance of going and having a good old rummage.

However, nil desperandum! I recently found online the details of a Will which was previously in private hands (a solicitor) and for which I had been asked £130 + VAT!

OC

tenterfieldjulie
13-08-13, 10:30
I am so envious Phoenix. Mary Callow (Carlow) the Norwich ancestor of my OH, her baptism is still unfound, despite having her parents' names on about 50 trees on Ancestry. Earlier generations all seemed so easy to find until Kite found a married Mary Callow (think the name was Smith) with her mother on the censuses and "my" Mary had been sent as a convict to Australia in the 1820s. I don't know whether the trees on Ancestry have just copied each other or whether they never tried to trace the mother in the census. I looked the other day at the Ancestry trees, hoping just one would have other info, but sadly not ..